Who has Klipsch Palladium speakers and can tell me a little bit about them?

joeinid

I own the Palladium 5.1 setup with p37s. Although I do use this setup for home theater I also use it for 2 channel listening probably 75% of the time. There is no doubt you are paying somewhat for the build quality and aesthetics the speakers provide. I think they are gorgeous and extremely well made/engineered. Except for the decals.

The room they are in calibrated and the sound is as flat as it can be. They sound fantastic - better than my klispchorns (not calibrated, much larger room).

Would I buy them again? Yes. YMMV but if money isn't the issue then get them, you will not be sorry. I would suggest the Palladium subwoofer to go with any of the 3 speaker options (37, 38, or 39). The sub is perfectly matched to the speakers and you will hear excellent bass, but bass that dovetails flawlessly with the speakers, if properly setup.

Put them in the same room, under the same circumstances, with the same sourceand A/B them with others present and try to make me believe they sound better than Klipschorns, been there, done that, with a room full of Forum members as witnesses and it isn't even close. Klipsch set them all up, so I would assume conditions are optimal for the comparison. You don't have to close your eyes, the listening is not critical, it was obvious to everyone in attendance that the PF-39s just aren't in the same ball park. Come to Hope, listen for yourself, then tell the engineers and the rest of us, how the listening setup is skewed in the Klipschorns favor?

There, I extended the invitation, Happy??

Roger

Without a doubt the Klipschorn is no slouch. That's why I own them. But I don't have the gift of determining which speaker is better after just a few hours of comparison. I've formed my opinion over the course of hundreds of hours of listening. To this day, I still gravitate to the Palladiums over the Klipschorns. YMMV.

You'll note I did say that the Palladiums were in a calibrated environment, the Klipschorns are not. This might have an impact on my choosing the Palladiums as the better speaker. I would further stipulate that each speaker has its strengths v. the other. I do prefer the Klipschorns for their soundstage which, imo, the Palladium cannot match. But for details, nuances, and smoothness, I give the nod to the Palladiums.

My schedule is far too demanding to allow for any time to come the Hope. Thanks for the invite, though.

Very interesting. But you just got booted off Roger's Christmas card list :D

No, not at all, he didn't get booted off of my Christmas card list :)

He admitted that they are in separate rooms, which brings memory AND room acoustics into play on top of the fact that they have not been calibrated. It is not a fair A/B comparison at all, but his honest opinion, to which he is more than entitled too! Especially when forthcoming about it and others can view it as such.

Plenty of space left in Hope to go to Klipsch and hear for yourselves, any takers?

Roger

How does one define a % of the sound they hear?  
easy! since i get a insane deal on both sets i IMMEDIATELY take price out of the equation. then i listen in the dark so i take looks out of the equation. i set them up to the best of my abilities and a/b them back and forth. when i hear ALMOST the same sound with just very SUBTLE differences i put a percentage on it. its that simple. i have multiple friends come over and do the same thing. take an average. really not hard to do at all. 

But the klipsch price tag aside are absolutely amazing sounding speaker
exactly. people get stuck on the price. and sure if you pay msrp, then i think you get a crappy deal and aren't getting your moneys worth. period.

The room they are in calibrated and the sound is as flat as it can be. They sound fantastic - better than my klispchorns (not calibrated, much larger room).
funny you are the second person i have heard say this. i believe you since you actually own them both in your home.

If you are serious about the sound, and not how beautiful the Paladiums are, Drag your butt to Hope in May and listen to the Flagship PF-39s against Klipschorns and RF-7IIs, and make an informed decision for yourself,  instead of a guess!   If you are truly about sound reproduction, you will be owning King Klipschorns!   This is not even a contest!   Roger
this gets so old reading. i dont know how one can judge speakers in a store. klipsch listening room? dont care. still not a home. horns jammed in the corner to gain huge bass impact that they need. p-39's not spread apart at all. not sure how this is a fair fight at all. yet i keep hearing about it from you. i know of two people now that actually own palladium towers and khorns. both of them say the palladium is better. only thing i heard one of them say was the bass was better from the khorn. seems logical if its a horn loaded 15" in a corner.  ;)  

Scrappy,

"This gets so old reading", cue in the Wha, Wha, Whan Whaaa, Whaaaaaa! from a Peanuts movie here.

Dude, it is obvious that you do not truly read what I have written here!

There is a noise / distortion present in the P-39s that is not in the source, and THIS is not present in the Klipschorns which proves it is not in the source.

Further, this distortion is not in the Bass range and has nothing to do with Klipschorns Bass bin.

Further, my statement has been backed up repeatedly by others who were there, and EVERYBODY could here it!

Just bring your butt to Hope in May, and not just for the listening session either!!! :)

Rog

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I own the Palladium 5.1 setup with p37s. Although I do use this setup for home theater I also use it for 2 channel listening probably 75% of the time. There is no doubt you are paying somewhat for the build quality and aesthetics the speakers provide. I think they are gorgeous and extremely well made/engineered. Except for the decals.

Would I buy them again? Yes. YMMV but if money isn't the issue then get them, you will not be sorry. I would suggest the Palladium subwoofer to go with any of the 3 speaker options (37, 38, or 39). The sub is perfectly matched to the speakers and you will hear excellent bass, but bass that dovetails flawlessly with the speakers, if properly setup.

Put them in the same room, under the same circumstances, with the same sourceand A/B them with others present and try to make me believe they sound better than Klipschorns, been there, done that, with a room full of Forum members as witnesses and it isn't even close. Klipsch set them all up, so I would assume conditions are optimal for the comparison. You don't have to close your eyes, the listening is not critical, it was obvious to everyone in attendance that the PF-39s just aren't in the same ball park. Come to Hope, listen for yourself, then tell the engineers and the rest of us, how the listening setup is skewed in the Klipschorns favor?

There, I extended the invitation, Happy??

Roger

Without a doubt the Klipschorn is no slouch. That's why I own them. But I don't have the gift of determining which speaker is better after just a few hours of comparison. I've formed my opinion over the course of hundreds of hours of listening. To this day, I still gravitate to the Palladiums over the Klipschorns. YMMV.

You'll note I did say that the Palladiums were in a calibrated environment, the Klipschorns are not. This might have an impact on my choosing the Palladiums as the better speaker. I would further stipulate that each speaker has its strengths v. the other. I do prefer the Klipschorns for their soundstage which, imo, the Palladium cannot match. But for details, nuances, and smoothness, I give the nod to the Palladiums.

My schedule is far too demanding to allow for any time to come the Hope. Thanks for the invite, though.

Very interesting. But you just got booted off Roger's Christmas card list :D

No, not at all, he didn't get booted off of my Christmas card list :)

He admitted that they are in separate rooms, which brings memory AND room acoustics into play on top of the fact that they have not been calibrated. It is not a fair A/B comparison at all, but his honest opinion, to which he is more than entitled too! Especially when forthcoming about it and others can view it as such.

Plenty of space left in Hope to go to Klipsch and hear for yourselves, any takers?

Roger

I'm a she, just for the record.

I should be very clear. I owned the Palladiums before I owned the Klipschorns. When I got them, and before I decided to keep them, I had the Palladiums brought down into the same room that I was purchasing the Khorns to fill, for comparison. I used the same amp. I would listen to one set of speakers for a few days, then switch and listen to the other set for a few days. As I said, each have their strengths.

The room the Khorns were intended for is large, the room the Palladiums are meant for is small(er). I have the P37's. I would not swap the speakers out of the rooms that I bought them for, because I think I would be handicapping the speakers and their potential.

When they were together, and over the course of days(weeks, really)of comparing, I would still have to say the Palladiums were better.

Now that they have been in their respective places for some years now, and yes, the Palladiums are calibrated to their environment (I only said that really for full disclosure), I still consider them my 'go to' speakers for relaxing and mood setting. I find the Klispchorns are better for entertaining or cooking.

That's not to say they cannot be used as I am using the Palladiums, they can be, I just find the Palladiums more suited to that role. Which, is what I AM LOOKING mostly for out of my music. You and others might be looking for something else.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bella, just curious, what are you powering your Palladiums with?

Anthem. I found the simplicity but dedication to the sound of the Anthem processor very much to my liking.

Thank you.

I haven't heard Palladiums, but I have Khorns in a treated, calibrated room.  I have made A/B comparisons several times between the Khorns using Audyssey Flat speaker/room compensation vs Audyssey Flat bypassed, and the Khorns sound distinctly better -- even clearer and more effortless -- with Audyssey Flat, than without.  I should add that, like almost all Audyssey users, I use some bass boost (up to 6 dB, depending on the program material), achieved via a bass tone control.  This combination seems to improve the sound of the Khorns, something I didn't think was possible.

I don't like Audyssey's Dynamic EQ option, so I don't use that.  The bass control is equally effective, without some added garbage provided by DEQ which is ruthlessly exposed by the Khorns.  Audyssey Flat, on almost all music, sounds much better than plain Audyssey, which has some treble roll-off above about 8K.  Blu-ray movies sound great, providing they are transfers made in the last decade or so.  A few old movies sound better with plain Audyssey, than Audyssey Flat, I think because the Khorns reveal some high frequency distortion in the old soundtracks. 

• 1 year later...

In my opinion, this new speaker from Klipsch fits into today's styling of speakers which is to be tall and narrow with small realistate. It's the current fad in today's market compared to the old school vintage traditional style which I think is much nicer because you get traditional larger size woofers instead of these narrow speakers using advanced technology. Personally I've listened to a few very high end B&W speakers and a few others in sound rooms at a recent audio show and modern speakers sound muffled to the brightness of the older school horn type designs. The more expensive modern speakers sound brighter compared to lower cost models but isn't that what the Heritage series speakers are about already? I'm not suggesting that's neccesarily the case for these new speakers from Klipsch but they have to produce modern stuff to keep up with today's current market. It's a business too right?.The Klipsch horn designs have a beautiful clear crudeness to their sound I just absolutely love. They just sound more organic in my opinion. I'd take a klipschorn any day. 

• 6 months later...
On 1/15/2016 at 6:44 PM, Bella said:

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
First I must point out that my English is weak, and I use a lot of google translation :)
I am from Croatia (Zagreb city) and I am a longtime fan of Klipsch speakers.
It started with RF62, RF82, RF7 mk2 and I currently have P37F. I'm driving these speakers with tube monoblocks 12W per channel;
http://prntscr.com/i64ezl

+ tube preamp Breeze M1 (made by HadAudioLAB, hrvatski konstruktor);
http://prntscr.com/i64i9m
http://prntscr.com/i64fkm

HiFi set-up;
http://prntscr.com/i64ool
http://prntscr.com/i64r9y
http://prntscr.com/i64rva

I have to say that at the beginning I was very disappointed with P37F (2.5 times more expensive than RF7 II).
There was no quality in the small volume, but more volume - more quality.
At that time would agree with the conclusion that the subwoofer is needed.
But after a month, after a million attempts I came across the right solution.
I set the preamp volume to 3/4 of the maximum (position 3 hours) and over the DAC device (Pro ject pre box rs digital) added more volume to the desired final volume.
The result was as if I had fallen into a wrong room :)
Everything was opened, beautiful sound, powerful bass.
No more need for wofer :)
I'm still playing with the loudspeaker layout and in that regard I ask for advice.
Should the speakers be rotated to the listeners' position or should they be positioned flat-in parallel?
How to get an even better sound picture - sound stage?
So, I think for the first time is enough :)

• Moderators
17 hours ago, grinccaffe said:

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
First I must point out that my English is weak, and I use a lot of google translation :)

Welcome

Looks like google translation is working just fine.

You have a good looking setup. :emotion-21: If no one answers back it's because this thread is over a year old.

5 hours ago, dtel said:

If no one answers back it's because this thread is over a year old.

Thanks for the welcome.
Yeah, this thread is over a year old but there will always be new fans who want to hear the experiences of their older fellow audiophiles. And also, Klipsch will never be outdated :)
I hope that somebody will answer me.

On 1/2/2016 at 10:15 PM, LarryC said:

I think the sub, although physically a monster, adds a lot to the deep bass foundation of a Palladium setup's sound.  Like fuller, deeper repro of the double basses in orchestral music.  An excellent match with P-38's.

Hey Larry, I did pick up the matching sub. Forget my remark about not needing the sub...I was wrong! I didn't realize how much of the low end I was missing, but I know now. It's an incredible sub.

26 minutes ago, grinccaffe said:

Thanks for the welcome.
Yeah, this thread is over a year old but there will always be new fans who want to hear the experiences of their older fellow audiophiles. And also, Klipsch will never be outdated :)
I hope that somebody will answer me.

Welcome, very nice setup. I have P38s, and I have found they do sound better after playing with placement. I have found that placing them about 11' (3.8 m) apart, they did start to sound better. They are about 12" from the wall, and that distance did help with bass. I believe your P37s are like the 38s, rear ports (39s are side ported) 

I noticed yours are away from the rear wall quite a bit, and there are stands between the speakers and the rear wall. You might try spreading them out some, and get the closer to the rear wall, start close to the wall and gradually pull them out, and don't place anything between the speaker and the wall. I have mine angled in also, that helped also. 

I was powering them with a mid lever AVR, and they sounded good. I then added a solid state pre-amp and 250x2 amp. They really came to life with the extra power. They are rated at 4ohm, so they need good clean power.

I think if you spread them apart, get them closer to the rear wall, and toe them in, the sound will improve. Good luck and let us know your impressions.

P312, P27 ,P38.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grinccaffe said:

No problem, just wanted to let you know, it's easy to read not looking at the date.

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You might try spreading them out some, and get the closer to the rear wall, start close to the wall and gradually pull them out, and don't place anything between the speaker and the wall.

If you look at my setup better, you will see my desktop PC workstation, between the left speaker and the TV.
Therefore, it is not possible to bring the speakers closer to the back wall. Consequently, the right speaker is at the same distance from the back wall.
Both speakers are slightly (approx. 10 °) rotated to the listening position (I have not tried to set them in parallel). 
If the right speaker, I move a little to the right, then I'm already entering the dining area.
Maybe, just maybe, I steal another 5 to 10 centimeters :)

Hi Ceptorman -- I appreciate the validation of what the Palladium sub adds to the P38's.  Too bad the space and $ demands are so high, as the sub makes the whole installation pretty amazing and what everyone should have!  I, too, have marveled at how well integrated and seamless the music is between the sub and the floorstanders.  Obviously not enough people have the whole setup like they should!

My guess is that a pair of the P-38's and the sub is a very adequate base combo, with or without the center and/or satellite units