New to site, seeking help.

Spudnick

Hi. Current system is a Marantz 7701 pre amp, a Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp. Current speakers are all Klipsch, RF-7 II mains, RC-64 II center, RS-52 II surrounds. Sub is a HSU VTF-15H MK2. Considering adding a 2 channel amp to go from a 5.1 to a 7.1 set up. Cost about 1000-1400. Room is 24x24. Will additional sound justifie cost? Another option considering is stay with the 5.1 system and upgrade surround speakers to the RS-62II's. Or just run with what I have. Opinions? 

Edited by Brad S Settle
  • Like 4

Brad,

Welcome to the forum.

I am in the camp that better amplification will yield better results with your RF-7II's.  While I do think the RS-62II's are better speakers than the RS-52II's, I think a better amp driving the 7II's will benefit your system more than changing out your surrounds.  Your MM7055 is really not much beefier than your average near flagship AVR's amp section so I do think your 7II's will sing a bit better with a more stout amp.  Maybe add the matching MM7025 to the mix to drive the 7II's.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks. So, if I add a 2 channel amp, what could I add for back speakers? It was suggested to try and buy a second set of the RS-52II's for best match. Any other suggestions? Will the Will the improved sound justifie

cost? 

Welcome to the forum.  It is a good place with good people.

Let me ask: do you think your present system is lacking in performance?  If so, how.

From your question and described set-up you are seeking better surround.  Maybe that is something you want to tweek. Still, I wonder whether a better listening experience will be had with more channels of surround.

Just let us know.

WMcD

• Like 1

Thanks. So, if I add a 2 channel amp, what could I add for back speakers? It was suggested to try and buy a second set of the RS-52II's for best match. Any other suggestions? Will the Will the improved sound justifie

cost? 

I think adding another pair of 52II's will be a good choice or maybe some RB61II's.

Bill

Considering adding a 2 channel amp to go from a 5.1 to a 7.1 set up. Cost about 1000-1400.

You definitely do not need to spend anywhere near that to get good amplification.

Here is a fantastic deal on a great amp.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c-275bee-power-amplifier-2015-12-28-amplifiers-15217-squirrel-hill-pa 

Current model that will thump your RF-7II's.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Are you suggesting the 7025 for the RF-7II's and use the 7055 for the center and back staying with the 5.1 set up?

Yes, the stereo amp to drive your mains and the 7055 to drive the center and surrounds at 5.1 or 7.1.

Bill

Edited by willland

My concern is new room size. 24x24. Other was a bit smaller

My family room(open plan plus kitchen and nook) is near 6000ft3 and I am only running 5.1.  The space dedicated for HT is 16x15x12(app.2640ft3) and with my current 200w/ch amps driving the speakers I feel like they are more than enough.  Big difference when I went from just a "100w/ch" AVR to 200w/ch outboard amplification.  Your room is clearly near or more than 5000ft3 so you should benefit most by adding rear surrounds and more amplification.  Throw another sub into the mix also and you will want for nothing else.

I am not trying to spend your $$$ but you do have a large room to fill.

Bill

Welcome back

Joined 5+ years ago i see.

One question, have you pizzed off any neighbors as of yet?

No?

Well have we got a deal for you, chime in daily too see how we as a collective can (and will) help you spend your way into you're first visit from the neighbor(s).

Boy have you come (Back) to the right place.

• Like 4

Brad,

First, Welcome back to the Forum.

To answer your question on cost effectiveness, that is a question that is subjective and only you can answer! There are surely guys on here that can probably drop a thousand as easily as you can $100, and guys that can only drop $10 as easily as you can drop $100, so only YOU are qualified to answer that question.

I am going to talk to you about a totally different route to go.

Have you EVER listened to any of the Heritage line of Klipsch speakers?

Where are you located, so that we might steer you to an audition to judge for yourself?

Speakers have ALWAYS bee improve sound, and with a 24' by 24' room, you definitely have the real estate for larger and better speakers for your sound.

What do you say, are you willing to take a listen and take the Red pill and see where the Rabbit hole goes?

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 2

• Moderators
What do you say, are you willing to take a listen and take the Red pill and see where the Rabbit hole goes?

That Rabbit hole is a long drop!  You might want to invest in a parachute. :lol:

The RF-7ii can definitely benefit from an amp.  Lots of used options out there.  As mentioned, a 200 x 2 or 200 x 3 (even more ideal) would be a great addition to your system.  I've owned RS-52, then RS-62, and now (4) RS-62ii.  There really isn't that big of a jump from RS-52 to RS-62.  They sound larger but it's not night and day.  Then again, adding an amp in my previous RF-83 wasn't night and day either but it did provide better separation, better bottom end (even at lower volume) and plenty of headroom.  I only sold my 200 x 7 amp after buying my LaScala Trio (photos and video in my signature below).

• Like 1

For a big room, a 7.1 with FH or FW is a nice option.  The Center and RF 7's can benefit from an amp even with the speakers set to small for HT.  Another thing to ponder is adding a second sub to even out the bass in the room.  Do one thing now an something else down the road.

• Like 1

Hey Bill, thanks for the info. You believe the

NAD C 275BEE Power Amplifier is better then the MM7025?

I do.  The NAD is rated at 4ohms while the 7025 is not.  Now the RF-7II's do not have the low impedence dips of the original RF-7's, they do dip down to 3.7ohms between 100HZ and 200Hz.

I don't think the difference will be night and day but do think the 275Bee will have a better grip on the woofers than the MM7025 and offer better dynamics.

Bill

• Like 1

That Rabbit hole is a long drop!  You might want to invest in a parachute. :lol:

The RF-7ii can definitely benefit from an amp.  Lots of used options out there.  As mentioned, a 200 x 2 or 200 x 3 (even more ideal) would be a great addition to your system.  I've owned RS-52, then RS-62, and now (4) RS-62ii.  There really isn't that big of a jump from RS-52 to RS-62.  They sound larger but it's not night and day.  Then again, adding an amp in my previous RF-83 wasn't night and day either but it did provide better separation, better bottom end (even at lower volume) and plenty of headroom.  I only sold my 200 x 7 amp after buying my LaScala Trio (photos and video in my signature below).

Yeah Michael is correct, it is a long drop!

But Michael, please tell Brad here that those three Heritage Series LaScalas across the front don't just put a BIG, BIG smile on your face even without an external amp over all the Reference series for clarity, voicing, and sound?  :emotion-14:

Roger