New to site, seeking help.

Spudnick

Hey Bill. Thanks for your input. I live in Tacoma WA. The company I thought had the second set of 52"s said they would sell me a set of RP 250s for same price, 640 for a set. Some have suggested a second set of RF-7II's for the back. That's to rich for my blood. What about a set of RF-62II's or RF-82II's?

• Like 1

What about a set of RF-62II's or RF-82II's?

I am not a fan of towers as surrounds for HT but for multichannel music I think they are great.

I prefer my surrounds to be at about the 6'6" height which is about 2'6" above my ears in my seating position.  Others have different preferences.  

Bill

What about a set of RF-62II's or RF-82II's?

I am not a fan of towers as surrounds for HT but for multichannel music I think they are great.

I prefer my surrounds to be at about the 6'6" height which is about 2'6" above my ears in my seating position.  Others have different preferences.  

Bill

Bill,

I think you should experience 5.1 with all RF-7s or surround with all TSCMs before you make that assumption.

Theatres don't put in smaller surrounds because it sounds better, but because of marketable space that would be eaten up by larger speakers and cost savings. We do our best to match voicing and sensitivity on the front 3, if budget and real estate allow, why wouldn't you want to match the entire package for both movies and music?

Roger

• Like 1

Bill,   I think you should experience 5.1 with all RF-7s or surround with all TSCMs before you make that assumption.  
Bill,   I think you should experience 5.1 with all RF-7s or surround with all TSCMs before you make that assumption.

Roger,

I am not really making an assumption, I prefer the sounds of surround effects to come from slightly above my ears than completely level to my ears.  I know an all tower system sounds incredible, no convincing me of that.  Now if those tower surrounds could be jacked up to the height I prefer, then I am all in.

Theatres don't put in smaller surrounds because it sounds better, but because of marketable space that would be eaten up by larger speakers and cost savings

Theaters also use "smaller" speakers because of the information that is fed to the surrounds which is only about 1/4 of what is fed to the front soundstage.  

Bill

Like I said. I listen to 75-80% music. Want the surround sound for 7.1 movies. I like the idea of towers for back speakers using the RS-52II for side speakers. I listen to music sometimes in extended stereo. If my backs are tower speakers, maybe RF-52II'a, 62II's would that not sound better with music? I know I would loose some on movies but would I not gain on music? Cant afford another set of RF-7II's.

Ok, I would like to keep all 4 surround speakers the same. I will just use what I have for know. would like to stay with klipsch but open to suggestions.

You mentioned that in an earlier post.  The reason for matching the surrounds and backs is that the RR and LR are a duplication of signals sent to the RS and LS, I don't believe the back speakers have discrete channels.

And I'm not ignoring your question.  It's just that there are people here who are so much more qualified to give you specific recommendations than I am.  My suggestion is listen to them, not me.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The rear surround channels are not discrete and are matrix.  I have used towers and RS speakers for rears and prefer the smaller speakers.  The don't get that much info like the front stage.  For music, the smaller speakers are nice since they don't call attention to themselves.  You don't want the rears competing with the mains for music even in all channel stereo.  It is a waste to put as much money in the rear as the mains IMHO.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Like I said. I listen to 75-80% music. Want the surround sound for 7.1 movies. I like the idea of towers for back speakers using the RS-52II for side speakers. I listen to music sometimes in extended stereo. If my backs are tower speakers, maybe RF-52II'a, 62II's would that not sound better with music? I know I would loose some on movies but would I not gain on music? Cant afford another set of RF-7II's.

Brad,

The main issue in choosing 4 towers like you want for extended stereo is not only voicing but also efficiency. I think you would really be surprised at how soon you can't even hear those back speakers playing at all when the efficiency ratings differ. This is also another reason why I have 7 of the same speakers for surround sound, I really want to be able to hear and experience the effects :)

Roger

I can definitely hear my surrounds in all ch. stereo or one of the other music format.  The RS 35's are small compared to the RC 64 and RF 7's.  The surrounds enhance the midrange which is nice.  I guess it depends on how things are calibrated.  I certainly don't want the rear sound to dominate.  I like the band in front of me more or less.

I can definitely hear my surrounds in all ch. stereo or one of the other music format.  The RS 35's are small compared to the RC 64 and RF 7's.  The surrounds enhance the midrange which is nice.  I guess it depends on how things are calibrated.  I certainly don't want the rear sound to dominate.  I like the band in front of me more or less.

You can ALWAYS adjust to your satisfaction, but it is my choice to perfectly match voicing and not have to boost the signal to get the desired effect. YMMV :)

Roger

Thanks everyone for the ideas and inpute. As for now, I deceided to go with a set of the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250S for my side or back speakers. I can put these on stands to get at proper level. I will use my set of RS 52-II for the other set. If they don't sound match, I will replace the 52"s down the road. I cant put on wall as this isn't my house. I will post a comment and picture when I get everything put together. Thanks again, Brad.

Brad, on the K'horn front, what you have to do if you want the best is put out the searches and wait.  I got my '72 models for 1500.00 delivered because I watched and waited.  Even much better deals have happened win a spouse or child inherits them from death or divorce. 

Dave