Talk me out of not buying a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

Max2

Was the H-1 drivable?

Why didn't he just fly out and drive it back?

Roger

At least at the time, military used Humvees weren't street legal for some reason, they don't really come with a title.  There was a whole bunch of them that initially went for auction as cheap as $10,000 each, but you can't drive them on the road, can't license them.  Apparently since then there have been more that were street legal, but this was before that time.  

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/military-humvees-sold-to-the-public-may-soon-be-122967003027.html

Did not know this :)

Speaking as someone who has more than 30 years running Goodyear wrinkle walls on the street without ever getting a ticket for it, most cops do not know the law and I would have done it anyways. Even if you goy caught, good chance of talking your way out of it and ticket would have cost less than buying a trailer or renting the Semi, but that is just me.

Roger

• Like 1

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it.

Ha!  I sort of agree with my friend here, but in a kinder and gentler way.  :rolleyes:

I would question more what is your purpose in wanting the Rubicon? 

The reason being, you are choosing between a Jeep and a truck.  I think of the jeep more as a toy unless you live in a rural area where 4 wheel-drive is needed.  I think of a truck more as a work or transport of goods type of vehicle, although both descriptions are decidedly narrow.

I live in West Virginia where we have lots of both.  B)

I'm with these guys. Believe me, I've been down this "road".

If you want an off-road vehicle to thrash around with in the woods and off-road, then a Rubicon is a great choice (if you have the $$).

If you really aren't interested in off-roading in a serious way - skip the Rubicon.

My avatar is an '85 Toyota 4runner and I have more than $10k, less than $15k into. It is obviously more capable (but not as comfortable) as a $40K Rubicon. And when I total it, blow the engine, crash it bad - won't feel too bad. Easy to rebuild.

Edited by Dingman
  • Like 2

To be honest, off-roading in a vehicle, much less a new one, is just a silly endeavor.  Four wheelers, dirt bikes, RZR's, all are much more capable, cheaper, faster, more comfortable, easier to work on, etc.  I did it for years and I missed the rigs but in reality, its just kinda dumb.  I don't care if you can afford to trash one, there's better ways of spending time in the woods.  By the time you got a Rubicon you could get two pimped out RZR 1000's and can go LOTS more places in much more comfort.  If you really want to wheel then do that.  

If I were you and wanted to off road, I would buy the truck and, then get a used XJ with a manual trans. I can blow through the woods in mine scarring the bejezzers out of people in tight spaces, my son loves it, my wife not so much, friends think its awesome, it goes where very few vehicles can go, plus if it breaks, there are millions of parts everywhere that cost very little..... Off road I doubt many without very deep pockets would be adventurous with a rubicon unless there was a lot of room....

To be honest, off-roading in a vehicle, much less a new one, is just a silly endeavor.  Four wheelers, dirt bikes, RZR's, all are much more capable, cheaper, faster, more comfortable, easier to work on, etc.  I did it for years and I missed the rigs but in reality, its just kinda dumb.  I don't care if you can afford to trash one, there's better ways of spending time in the woods.  By the time you got a Rubicon you could get two pimped out RZR 1000's and can go LOTS more places in much more comfort.  If you really want to wheel then do that.  

Nope. How are you going to drive from home to the off-roading ground in your RAZR? You don't.

How do you stay warm and comfy when OA temps are below freezing? You don't.

How do you carry a couple or ppl or three kids on a trail ride? You don't.

How do you drive it to the grocery store for fun, or at the event? You don't.

You are correct about the cost of a "pimped out Rubi" - too damn high for wheelin', thus my earlier comment.

I'm sure not saying RAZR's aren't a fun ride, they are. Very cool. But they do not replace a full size rig with all capabilities they have.

Edited by Dingman

Hey I daily drive my 4 door jeep I ordered it new with the dana  locker 410 gearing etc. Last week I pulled a 18' flat bed trailer with a side x side T-rex and a 4x4 4 wheeler to the deer lease and back 250 miles. The jeep is in the parking lot right now at work with the back seats folding down because I got to pick up a load a lumber on the way home. I do have a 3/4 ram for hauling heavy stuff if needed. Buy what you like and enjoy life. :D

• Like 1

How are you going to drive from home to the off-roading ground in your RAZR?

And this is exactly where I thought this would go. The truck and trailer to haul your rigs is a great idea. I have to admit, I also now haul my off-road rig on a trailer, bought a cheap ($4k) Yukon as my tow rig.

So, you see where I'm coming from on the transportation aspect. Cheap tow rig + cheap car hauler is minimum another $5k and could easily be way higher. Dude, I roll like you do, and you are correct in all your points except trying to say the RAZR's are superior to full sized rigs. The RAZRs excel in certain areas, while full sized rigs excel in others. IMO, the full sized rigs are more useful, more comfortable and just can do more things than a RAZR. Maybe this is a result of younger vs. older levels of excitement?

This first video is right after the initial build of the rig. Second video is from 9 or ten years later - guess how many parts I've broken in the meantime (regular wheeling every year in between). Basically NONE.

Sorry about the crappy video - the camera fell out and got ran over one time, never the same since. And it's actual worn out film.
EDIT: I don't mean to mislead - I have PLENTY of video of me being stuck or flooded out - had to get pulled back to camp only once tho!

Second video:

Edited by Dingman
  • Like 2