Talk me out of not buying a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

Max2

As far as the Rubicon, why a 4 door??

Because they're awesome.  Unless you're going to scratch it all up every weekend on stupid tight woods trails where you need the tightest turning ratio possible, there's no need for a two door.  If you're worried about breakover angle, then lift it and put bigger tires on.  They're more stable and look better when you do that vs. the 2 door anyway.  

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it. Kind of like all those idiots that had Vettes when I was a kid and drove them like they were driving a Rolls Royce :(

My buddies had $,500 self mapping GPS systems with flat screens the size of your PC monitor to go down to Sothern Ohio. You can go back in for 50 miles down there so it pays if you want to play. My one buddy even had a tug of war where he drug a Semi Tractor across the lot with his H-1

Roger

My poor 67 Vette went through the eyes at 12.20 seconds and 116.4 MPH granny shifting and I drove it on the street to work. God it was thrilling to get about 150 miles to the tank on Sunoco 260.

JJK

My 1967 "S" code 390 Mustang GT Fastback ran 11.30 @ 125 with the 427 Hi-Riser in it before I moved up to a Cammer, but I am sure you also know what I mean about most Vette owners that used to drive them like a luxury touring vehicle, man that used to piss me off to get stuck behind one of those fools!

Roger

• Like 1

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it.

Ha!  I sort of agree with my friend here, but in a kinder and gentler way.  :rolleyes:

I've had all kinds of jeeps, this is about my 8th one. I've even had a full blown rock crawler on 38's, with a stretched frame and chevy drive train. Having a rubicon is the accumulation of a lifelong dream where I wanted to get an unmolested new jeep with zero regrets. I really don't care what anybody else thinks about it. :)

But, if we're going to talk about it, first of all the Rubicon has a better residual value. Jeep Wranglers in general are one of the best vehicles in this regard, last I heard they had twice the residual value of a Mercedes, but the rubicon specifically is about the best investment in terms of losing the least amount of money. Used rubicons ain't cheap. That's good when you're buying a new one.

Secondly, I plan to have this jeep forever and did not want to feel the need to lift it, put lockers in it, put larger tires just to have to regear it, etc., like I did with my others. With that in mind it is MUCH cheaper to just get the rubicon and be done with it. There is nowhere around here that a Rubicon can't go, no reason for all the aftermarket mods. A friend of mine did this, bought the cheapest Sport he could find then tried to fix it up. Ended up spending nearly $60,000 on it, then his wife got a Rubicon and he was so sick after seeing that there was literally zero advantage that he sold his. It's just stupid.

Thirdly, it's just really not that much difference in the long run unless you're getting the bottom of the barrel Sport model with no options. What's a better investment, a Sahara? The base model is like $3,000 difference and it comes with street tires. Upgrading the tires alone is half the difference. If you get any options on the Sport you can spend about as much one one that I did on my Rubi anyway. Pretty dumb.

To the OP, just get the Rubicon and be done with it. :)

With an engine that cost more than most Jeeps, I am not going to tell you what to love but I have two issues with your above post:

1) If as you say, you are going to keep it forever, then resale value is an absolute mute point.

2) Rubicons come with Detroit Locker Diferentials, so why would you have to put lockers in?

Also, unless you are going off road or drag racing, a Detroit Locker is a stupid, pain in the azz on the street. :)

Roger

• Like 1

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it.

Ha!  I sort of agree with my friend here, but in a kinder and gentler way.  :rolleyes:

I've had all kinds of jeeps, this is about my 8th one. I've even had a full blown rock crawler on 38's, with a stretched frame and chevy drive train. Having a rubicon is the accumulation of a lifelong dream where I wanted to get an unmolested new jeep with zero regrets. I really don't care what anybody else thinks about it. :)

But, if we're going to talk about it, first of all the Rubicon has a better residual value. Jeep Wranglers in general are one of the best vehicles in this regard, last I heard they had twice the residual value of a Mercedes, but the rubicon specifically is about the best investment in terms of losing the least amount of money. Used rubicons ain't cheap. That's good when you're buying a new one.

Secondly, I plan to have this jeep forever and did not want to feel the need to lift it, put lockers in it, put larger tires just to have to regear it, etc., like I did with my others. With that in mind it is MUCH cheaper to just get the rubicon and be done with it. There is nowhere around here that a Rubicon can't go, no reason for all the aftermarket mods. A friend of mine did this, bought the cheapest Sport he could find then tried to fix it up. Ended up spending nearly $60,000 on it, then his wife got a Rubicon and he was so sick after seeing that there was literally zero advantage that he sold his. It's just stupid.

Thirdly, it's just really not that much difference in the long run unless you're getting the bottom of the barrel Sport model with no options. What's a better investment, a Sahara? The base model is like $3,000 difference and it comes with street tires. Upgrading the tires alone is half the difference. If you get any options on the Sport you can spend about as much one one that I did on my Rubi anyway. Pretty dumb.

To the OP, just get the Rubicon and be done with it. :)

With an engine that cost more than most Jeeps, I am not going to tell you what to love but I have two issues with your above post:

1) If as you say, you are going to keep it forever, then resale value is an absolute mute point.

2) Rubicons come with Detroit Locker Diferentials, so why would you have to put lockers in?

Also, unless you are going off road or drag racing, a Detroit Locker is a stupid, pain in the azz on the street. :)

Roger

Nothing like grinding tires around every turn & spinning in circles in ice & snow.

May as well just weld up the spider gears. :blink:

• Like 1

Because they're awesome.  Unless you're going to scratch it all up every weekend on stupid tight woods trails where you need the tightest turning ratio possible, there's no need for a two door.  If you're worried about breakover angle, then lift it and put bigger tires on.  They're more stable and look better when you do that vs. the 2 door anyway.  

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it. Kind of like all those idiots that had Vettes when I was a kid and drove them like they were driving a Rolls Royce :(

Roger

So he's retarded if he just likes to drive it without abusing it? 

Roger

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but from my perspective, YES!

Absolutely no different than buying a Vette to drive it like a luxury cruiser!

If you can't afford to buy a sports car and drive it like a sports car, then you are just a poser wanna-be, and that is my opinion! :)

Roger

Buy a decent previously loved vehicle and put the extra 20 or 30 grand in the bank.

Keith

Good luck with that if you think Jeep's come cheap. Ten year old Wranglers still hold their value and as was previously stated the new ones are at the top of the heap as far as resale and residual value.

• Like 1

My buddies had $,500 self mapping GPS systems with flat screens the size of your PC monitor to go down to Sothern Ohio. You can go back in for 50 miles down there so it pays if you want to play. My one buddy even had a tug of war where he drug a Semi Tractor across the lot with his H-1

Roger

My poor 67 Vette went through the eyes at 12.20 seconds and 116.4 MPH granny shifting and I drove it on the street to work. God it was thrilling to get about 150 miles to the tank on Sunoco 260.

JJK

My 1967 "S" code 390 Mustang GT Fastback ran 11.30 @ 125 with the 427 Hi-Riser in it before I moved up to a Cammer, but I am sure you also know what I mean about most Vette owners that used to drive them like a luxury touring vehicle, man that used to piss me off to get stuck behind one of those fools!

Roger

My father in law is one of those old rich guys that barely keep up with traffic while driving his C6 convertible....drives me nuts.

• Like 1

Roger

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but from my perspective, YES!

Absolutely no different than buying a Vette to drive it like a luxury cruiser!

If you can't afford to buy a sports car and drive it like a sports car, then you are just a poser wanna-be, and that is my opinion! :)

Roger

Face it.  You are just into abuse.

I totally agree about the sports car.

• Like 1

I know its not the Wrangler, but we bought new a 2014 Grand Cherokee and my wife and I just love that car. We got the nicest Limited version and its been a blast to take on trips and just to use as a daily. My bro in law has a 2012 Rubicon, lifted with 35"s and has nothing but good things to say about it.

• Like 1

I know its not the Wrangler, but we bought new a 2014 Grand Cherokee and my wife and I just love that car. We got the nicest Limited version and its been a blast to take on trips and just to use as a daily. My bro in law has a 2012 Rubicon, lifted with 35"s and has nothing but good things to say about it.

I had a 2012 SRT8 Cherokee for a year and it was really fun. Not much for offload, yet it was a pretty salty grocery getter.  It had a few issues since it was the first year out, ok a lot of issues.  The Wrangler seems to have enough old school going on that is would be easier to accept a little rougher ride and a little less long trip friendly.

One thing is for sure, everything is very expensive these days. It seems the domestic vehicle prices are inching closer to the "mid-mid upper" foreign vehicles. A decked out Tahoe or Denali is 65- 70+ grand. An Escalade EXT is a 100K. 

I just pulled up some tricked out Wranglers up and guess how much?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon-4X4-KEVLAR-SLANT-TOP-DUAL-ROOF-NAV-KICKER-/331746046201?vxp=mtr

sA_800.jpg

dQ_800.jpg

• Like 1

The pickup will drive much better on paved roads as well.

Jeeps buck, wander & ride much rougher than normal vehicles.

I am trying to get to that same point.  If you really want a toy for off-road and playing around, or even the "cool" factor the Rubicon is probably your vehicle, nothing wrong with that. 

My wife drives a Honda CRV which is also good for off-road as long as you don't flog it around, but it is built on a Honda Civic chassis and as such it is much more civilized and quiet on the road, which is where you do 99% of the driving miles.

Or do you want/need a truck... B)

Edited by wvu80

I didn't read the thread, just saying. I have a 2011 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 Full 4 door with a 6.5ft bed that I have tuned using 93 octane and so far, only the Ford or Chevy 6.2s can come close to me in a straight out acceleration test...and I have a bed cap, air horns, LED bars, and the Lariat package. Ram is a freaking joke in the 150 category.

That being said, after I run this truck out, I'm goin with a 250 at least or a 350. The stability in towing and hauling is just unmatched. 

So, do you really need a truck? Or just want a 4x4 toy? Consider the purpose of what you want. 

• Like 1

Buy a decent previously loved vehicle and put the extra 20 or 30 grand in the bank.

Keith

Good luck with that if you think Jeep's come cheap. Ten year old Wranglers still hold their value and as was previously stated the new ones are at the top of the heap as far as resale and residual value.

My oldest son recently bought a Jeep CJ so I did some research to see what was the best buy, best resale, gas mileage, etc etc.  You guys know how neurotic I am when it comes to researching a purchase to the point of stupidity.  I don't quite understand why, but the Jeep CJ was in the bottom of virtually every Top Ten list, but was at the very top when it comes to resale value. 

So even though it would not have been my first choice, I can understand why people buy them; it's a great value when it comes to total cost of ownership.

Edited by wvu80