Talk me out of not buying a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

Max2

If you can't afford to buy a sports car and drive it like a sports car, then you are just a poser wanna-be, and that is my opinion!

This crap gets old.  Calling someone retarded and a poser wanna-be because they want a capable vehicle???  So what if they rarely use it to its full capabilities. 

That is YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it!

I am in no way fake, you get what you see with me, and if you can't accept that, then YOU are the one with a deficiency :)

Roger

The only thing I think is odd about conversations like this is when people try to crap on other people’s choices as if saying so makes them feel smart.  With every purchase there’s somebody who thinks you’re an idiot for signing on the dotted line.  This includes stereo equipment.  Get over it.  Each one of us is into different stuff and we all have our reasons for being like that.  Trying to take a dump in somebody elses Wheaties and put down their choices only makes you look like a jackass.  I'm sure I'm as guilty as anybody but I'm not sure why people feel the need to do this.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

The death wobble is usually a problem with neck bearing adjustment. I added brand new bearings, torqued and added a damper. :)

OK, I got news for you guys.  If you need a damper so you can successfully survive a self-imposed "death wobble" on a motorcycle at over 100 MPH it's not your bearings that need adjustment.   :rolleyes:

That's why I raced dirt bikes as a kid.  When you fall off (which I did a lot) all you get is dirty.  B)

Sorry, but tell that to my dead friend Jon Cornel who customizes both Gen 1 and Gen 2 V-Maxes for a living. His business still exists and is owned by his wife. You should be able to look it up by doing a searce for UFO V-Gas.

Jon drove and owned the worlds fastest Top Alcohol bike in the 70's named "Thermomechanical Violence" that ran a 7.13 in the Quarter in the late 70's. Jon had a large collection of bikes as well as a Ferrari. Jon also built and owned a totally custom big bore based on the ZX-11 with air shifter and nitrous that ran in the 7's, He built and owned the first Harley twin cam that broke into the 10s and later with that same bike was the first Harley Twin Cam into the 9s, and built and owned the first Gen 2 V-Max into the 8s, and owned many NHRA records and awards. He died last year of lung cancer, and I think you should have a little more personal experience with the exact bike model in question before questioning me on my knowledge of the situation. :)

Roger

This wannabe poser has traveled half this country going to rock crawling competitions,

LOL!  What a turn of phase!  You're not even up to the level of a poser, you're an aspiring, up-and-coming, wannabe poser.  :lol:

I wannabe just like you some day. 

+++

Edit:  At this point in the discussion, your passion and love for off-roading has convinced me, and since we're not spending my money, I say go for the Rubicon.  Time to pick a color.   :emotion-21:   :D

The stock H-1 will eat the stock Rubicon in any real off roading experience :)

Roger

I have seen some of their builds and they are crazy.  All of these and the one above are way out of my league.  For that Starwood kind of money you can have a CPO Range Rover sport, Turbo Cayenne or a X5M

Some are kind of neat but I'm not quite sold on the kevlar paint, which is what seems to add the most bucks to their builds.  Not sure why you'd buy a new vehicle just to instantly give it a paint job.  

From my math, they're charging about 4K for the Kevlar coating.  The stuff is supposedly very tough and it has been said you can run a blade screwdriver down the side or door and not even begin to hurt it or even leave a mark.

The add ons with the white one I posted are pretty extensive.

Wheels and tires. 5K

Lift kit, reservoir shocks and stabilizer 3-5K 

Front Bumper and winch 2K

Rear bumper 1K

Front and rear fenders 1K

Kevlar coating 4K

Custom hood 1K

Projector headlights 1K

additional lighting 1.5K

Custom leather interior 3K

Slant back topper with dual electric sunroof 4K

Im sure Im forgetting a few things, but

Heck that's 30K right there in mods and you haven't even put any gears in it yet.

A truck sounds more practical to me, if practicality is the main priority.  My two cents worth, since MLO asked for personal experience posting.

A truck is in fact more practical, having a bed available all the time is nice, plus they're quieter.  Jeeps can work for hauling though, just add a trailer and you can haul way more than a truck can with its bed, but its a pain screwing with a trailer all the time.  In terms of people hauling, the four door is perfectly fine for four people though.  My jeep is our family vehicle, we use it like a minivan, perfectly practical for that.  

Other than the wind noise at highway speeds, really the only thing that sucks about Jeeps in terms of a daily driver vs. a truck is if you like to "manspread" when you sit.  Jeeps are more narrow plus their center console blocks off the entire middle of the front leg area, while a truck is wider and is usually completely clear under the dash.  When I'm in my truck I can manspread like a boss in full comfort.  Do that with a jeep and your kneecap will be pressed against the dash/console.  

A Jeep will never haul as big a trailer at hiway speeds as a 3/4 ton or larger diesel will :)

Just saying if you are talking about pulling a trailer with a Jeep, you might as well compare apples to apples.

Roger

It still rides like a Jeep.  If you're not off-roading it, there's no sense in having one.

The kids won't remember that time you got 38 mpg.  

460454_10150873924324401_1945159974_o.jp

1149157_10151652616229401_2106441934_o.j

Cute pictures, but you surely don't need a Rubicon for the street, nor an H-1.

Even with your off road experience, if you are only going to street it, it is like an ex track star wearing track spikes in public, and I would still take an H-1

Roger

The only thing I think is odd about conversations like this is when people try to crap on other people’s choices as if saying so makes them feel smart.  With every purchase there’s somebody who thinks you’re an idiot for signing on the dotted line.  This includes stereo equipment.  Get over it.  Each one of us is into different stuff and we all have our reasons for being like that.  Trying to take a dump in somebody elses Wheaties and put down their choices only makes you look like a jackass.  I'm sure I'm as guilty as anybody but I'm not sure why people feel the need to do this.  

If this was aimed at me let me clear the air.

I never crap on others at least not intentionally.

When somebody says something known to be false i try to knock some sense into the conversation.

I don't hate Jeeps but think an educated decision could help one with a purchase based on facts not best guesses.

Don't take my word for it, just use Yahoo or Google and see what others have to say about the vehicle in question.

Here to help others with my experience and knowledge and sometimes ask for help myself.

Don't blow smoke and i will not run in with a fire extinguisher.

• Like 1

Sure, EXACTLY like stereo choices as well.

I would equate this to someone who spends more for their RF-7II than I did for my TSCMs because the RF-7IIs are prettier but obviously don't sound as good, or choosing $25,000 Paladiums over much better sounding Klipsch Horns or Jubilees which are both proven to sound much better at less than half the price, because the Paladiums are much prettier.

I think making the above choice is also ignorant and again that is my opinion.

As far as your thread crapping statement, I can also understand your point of view.

But if someone is not allowed to question your choices and point out a difference of opinion and why they came to that conclusion, then your post stands for all time as some kind of unquestioned expertise that could lead someone in the future to take it at face value and make an error in judgment.

Sorry if it twists your knickers :)

Roger

• Like 1

and I think you should have a little more personal experience with the exact bike model in question before questioning me on my knowledge of the situation. :)

I'm a little lost, but that's OK, it's not my first time.  :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning any of your knowledge. at worst I'm being a little cheeky.  I know my wonderful wit doesn't always come across as funny as it should (at least that's what my wife says to me, at least once a week).  If you think I'm making posts for anything other than entertainment purposes, then you don't know me as well as you should.

So when are you coming over for a for a glass of pop?  I'll provide the CF-4's, you provide the tunes.  :D

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

and I think you should have a little more personal experience with the exact bike model in question before questioning me on my knowledge of the situation. :)

I'm a little lost, but that's OK, it's not my first time.  :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning any of your knowledge. at worst I'm being a little cheeky.  I know my wonderful wit doesn't always come across as funny as it should (at least that's what my wife says to me, at least once a week).  If you think I'm making posts for anything other than entertainment purposes, then you don't know me as well as you should.

So when are you coming over for a for a glass of pop?  I'll provide the CF-4's, you provide the tunes.  :D

I hope you like head banger stuff ;)

Roger

I own a 2005 TJ Rubicon - I love it.  I-6, 6-speed transmission.  Roll-up windows, a relatively severe vehicle, not designed to cater to the softer crowd.  However, with the JKs, once the public got it in their minds that the Rubicon was the high-end Jeep, they morphed into a soccer mom vehicle - something they could haul the kids in without feeling like they had succumbed to a mini-van.  No roll-up windows, plusher interiors, overly complicated dashboards, heated seats/steering wheels, stupid three-piece hard top.  A few years ago, I tried to get a deal on a stripper 4-door Rubicon, and was basically told they do not exist.  Even a vehicle with minimum options came with some sort of "connectivity package" and other things I did not think a Jeep should have.  Truth is, I doubt anyone makes a vehicle like my 2005 anymore.  =( 

I will stick with my eleven year old TJ.  =)

Decide what you want, make a list of things you really like / absolutely do not want, and go shopping.

• Like 1