I suck less than I did @ fence building

USNRET

There is a brick factory in town.  They don't have to go far to get their clay, just anywhere that they own and can quarry.  I've dug holes in the yard and left chunks on the ground and the sun will bake them into almost brick hard clumps without a binder or kiln temperatures.

Yep, digging around here is an art.  If you're digging a ditch, you have to be able to know how to carve with a sharp shooter and always have a bucket of water ready to dip your shovel into after each plunge.  If you don't you'll never get the "dirt" off your shovel.  When I use post hole diggers, I lay an old 4x4 on the ground to hit the blades on to knock the clay off after each plunge.

If you have crawfish in your yard, their clay mounds will tear up your lawn mower blade if their up long enough for the sun to dry them out.  It's like hitting a pile of rocks.

This brings back memories of the joy of dealing with the Town of Southampton with my fence project. I cleared out about 100 feet behind the previous fence line, still on my property, and increased the height of the fence from 4 foot to 6 foot to keep the deer from eating all of my hostas, etc. I know the deer can clear this height easily but not if they can't see what is on the other side. Cedar stockade is tough to see through for those rats with hooves.

2 years after the project I get a ding letter from the town for not having the inspection done. "Well you never sent me the inspection notice, how was I to know you had to do an inspection?" "We probably sent it to the fence company, but you still owe us $175 for no inspection & you have to file another permit application", cha-ching.

So 4 years after the work was done the inspector comes to extort more money. I invite the man into my house, big mistake. "You fail because you don't have pool alarms on your sliders out to the deck". "Why do I need pool alarms?I don't have kids I ask". "We don't care, state law". "You also fail because the gates swing in, not out, town code". "Well when I built the fence the town code didn't specify in or out". "That was then this is now". "You also don't have locks on the 2 gates on the far side of the property & the height of the gate latches on the front of the property are not the correct height".

So I pay my contractor to install the alarms, reverse the gates & raise the height of the latches to code. I also pay him to be there for the next inspection since the town does not accommodate weekend residents & schedule inspections for their convenience. They love our property taxes & the fact that none of us use the school district, but the heck with you otherwise.

In the intervening 4+ years from the start of the project to getting my permit approval, we had 2 hurricanes which blew down 5 sections of my 6 foot stockade fence,( thanks Sandy), a fact lost on my inspector, after I pointed that out. I also had my contractor take out the damn pool alarms as soon as I got the approval. Ever listen to those things? They make some racket.

We had a survey done this past Fall... $1,100. That got us certified copies of the work. We didn'thave one done when we bought the house two years ago.

Most of the owners were original to the neighborhood, early '60s. Had a limb come off a huge oak, ripped power off neighbors house. Other neighbor cut it up, I paid someone yo haul it off cause he says the two tree are on my property.

Survey says... NOPE, they are his trees. Thing is, they need to come down but he won't do it.

Bruce

I'm dealing with my fuckhead next door neighbor on this same deal. A few years ago his tree was growing onto my roof. He was tied to my chimney with a garden hose trying to cut it off. I got a quote for $1200 to take the branch off and he agreed to pay half. I paid the bill and he came back with"I checked with my attorney and anything over the property line is not my problem. Now he has 2 trees that are dead anfd wants to use my driveway to have them removed. I said ***** off. I have my mom with me so she feels bad for the guys having to do the work so she tells them OK. I just got home and she asked me to park across the street so they can get their equipment in. She said if looks could kill, she'd be dead, I'm so f*ucking pissed I can't see straight

Mark

Good luck with the fence.  Too bad you don't have a helper.

I was just looking at my fences today.  It's getting about time to replace.  I'm going 8' this time (from 6').  The neighbor behind me recently replaced his back porch light with a double-lamp LED super bight flood light that spills over into my yard and into my house.  It's like an aircraft landing light shinning into my bedroom window.  Sometimes it's on all night.  

Of course his light violates the city ordinance for spill over light, but I figure the 8' fence is the best cure.  A city permit required since I am changing the fence height.  

I'm considering a contractor this time.  I've never hired anyone before to put up a fence, but this time I am considering a 2' stone fence with a 6' cedar fence on top.

Buy some Leland Cypress and set them at about 6' centers. Buy plants 36" or less (5 gal.?) and plant in spring and keep them watered for the first year or two. Mine are 20 years old and 30 feet tall. They make a nice green screen.

Planted 6 Leland Cypress trees along an adjacent fence line (different neighbor) about 18 years ago.  They grew big, looked great, and made a great screen.  About three years ago, some type of fungus caused 3 of the 6 trees to die. I had to remove those 3 trees, so now there is big gap there.

The fence that I want to replace now is too close to the pool deck (about 3 ft at the narrowest place) to plant a large tree or shrub.  A friend suggested I use a pellet rifle to disable the annoying lights.  Although tempting, I think I'll pass on that idea!

• Moderators
Planted 6 Leland Cypress trees along an adjacent fence line (different neighbor) about 18 years ago.  They grew big, looked great, and made a great screen.  About three years ago, some type of fungus caused 3 of the 6 trees to die. I had to remove those 3 trees, so now there is big gap there.

That's a very common problem with them, also with Italian Cypress.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I suck at it also, so I went a different route, bamboo, very little measuring was needed 4' apart.

I went with hollies to hide the neighbors ugly fences.

Hollies are pretty tough, I used bamboo because I think the traffic on that side road will increase one day, it works great to also block some of the noise. That border is about 2-3 years old and will get another 10'-15' taller.

Planted 6 Leland Cypress trees

They make gorgeous Christmas trees.

Except for the fungi infested dead ones  :D .  

I decorated them with strings of solar lights once.  They looked great for a while, but eventually all the lights failed to work (made in China).