Tweeters are not working in Forte IIs

LeonBryant

Greetings fellow audio folks. I am new to the forum, so let me now if this is not an appropriate post here. I just picked up pair of Forte IIs on Ebay for $510. I was not able to audition them before I bought them, and when i got home and hooked them up, the first thing I noticed was a lack of high end. Neither of the top horns are working! I am reaching out to the seller tomorrow, but he's 200 miles away.

Is there anything i can I can do easily to troubleshoot, or will they need to be looked at by knowledgeable technician--it happens I know a very good one.

If the horns are blown out, are there replacements available for these older speakers?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. i bought these after hearing some that a friend of mine owns. I simply could not believe the sound.

Leon

Hi Leon, welcome to the forum. If the seller stated that they were in good working order, it is possible that maybe a wire came disconnected from the top tweeter horn driver during shipping. Simply remove the horn and make sure the 2 wires are connected. Also at the same time, if you have a multimeter now would be a good time to measure to ohms of the drivers. And yes there are replacement diaphragms just in case yours are both bad. I hope this helps. I am sure you will also be getting a slew of advise from other forum members in no time.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Leon, sorry it had to be this way though...

Before you go changing diaphragms, make sure that your speakers are phased correctly, all connections are secure, all settings on your amps and preamps are correct, etc, etc.  Then, as Bossman states, get a multimeter and measure the drivers.  Let us know what you find out.

Thanks, everyone! The first time I pulled out one of the tweeters out and applied the source directly, it sounded. That led me to believe it could be the crossovers. But when we opened the cabinet and tested them again, they did not sound. Now I'm wondering if I'm crazy! :o)

In any case, I have Crite crossovers and diaphragms on the way for both speakers. I can't wait to get them working 100%.

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses.

Leon