R-25C ($124) vs RC-62ii ($350)

just635

OP be patient. The rc-52ii would be ideal but would you consider getting a rc-62ii and eventually getting rf-62ii or rf82ii and moving the 42 to surround duty?

It would be possible, but it probably wouldn't happen any time soon as in many months or more likely years. I have found a 52 for $280; but if I can get a 62 for $350, I might as well go for that. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I got the rc-62ii and it sounds great. It does feel like it overpowers the rf-42ii's a little and I now see how I may have gotten on a slippery slope of upgrading. I do feel like I do get some ear fatigue. I am not sure if that's just in my head because I've been reading about ear fatigue with Klipsch speakers or if its really happening. I do know that I never had any ear fatigue with the quintet/rf-42ii setup. Is it possible that the addition of the rc-62ii is causing it or would it just be in my head?

I also got an sw-112 sub for $249 last week. This week, I saw that there is a deal on the Polk PSW505 for $172. Which sub would you say is better not considering the price and which would you say is a better deal considering the price? I think the sw-112 sounds great considering it replaced my kw-100, but I read some bad things about the sw-112 online so I'm assuming I haven't heard better than this in terms of subs. I know this is a Klipsch forum, but an as much of an objective answer as possible would be appreciated. 

I am running all of this on an Onkyo TX-NR515. Is this sufficient or would I need to upgrade my receiver to maximize the full potential of the system?

I know this is a Klipsch forum, but an as much of an objective answer as possible would be appreciated.

Ha!  You don't know us very well, but I promise you that you will get HONEST answers, even though it may not be what Klipsch, Inc. wants to hear.  This Klipsch forum is EXCEPTIONAL when it comes to free speech opinions about products.

I am running all of this on an Onkyo TX-NR515. Is this sufficient or would I need to upgrade my receiver to maximize the full potential of the system?

I bought my Onk TX-NR717 in 2013 and I love it.  I think your 515 was a similar model just a little less power.  Let your Audyssey set up the 5.1 or 7.1 and see what you think.  I have run mine with 5.1 and it currently runs the living room TV setup with 3.1.  As you probably know the 515 (and my 717) have the infamous HDMI board, and if you haven't had it fail, it's not a question of IF it will fail, but when.

Even though Onkyo now warranty's those board failures to 2018, if you could find an AVR with more power like an Onk 818 with the board replaced that would be a substantial upgrade.  The 818's can be found now for about $300 used.

As for the sub, I am not a fan of the Polk and I own a Klipsch RW-12d sub which I like fine, although you will find some people about to chime in about how much they don't like my poor little sub.  I think you are about to see freedom of speech in action.  B)

Edited by wvu80

Let me give you some words that could potentially save you tons of money!

Ignorance is bliss!

If you like your 112 then stop worrying if the rest of the world likes it. Hard thing to do in this hobby. Placebo is huge wether anyone wants to admit it or not. You thinking your new center is too bright is probably 100% in your head. Your rf-42ii doesn't bother you then the 62ii should only sound better to your ears.

Your receiver and sub are just fine. Is there better out there? Sure! Look at my setup. Is there better out there? Yep even still. I mean it will never end if you keep askin suggestions from us lol.

Start lookin for a killer deal on some rf-62ii and move your rf-42ii to surround and call it a day. You'll have a killer setup.

As a newbie maybe I can add a little something.   I first had the R25C.  It's fine, it sounds great and is loud.   There's 2 issues (imo, again a newbie) that caused me to get a different one...I ended up buying the RP250C instead.

#1:  Low frequency - it is spec'd to go down to 82hz, and with a crossover then say at 80 you are taxing the speaker a lot at high volume...better to have a speaker with better low end i.e. 45-65hz.

#2:  Quality - I bought the Premiere version because it still matches what I bought (I have R28Fs up front, not the RP280Fs but they are quite close).  It took 2 minutes to hear the difference in these speakers.  Now, as time goes by, I may (or may not) replace the surrounds and fronts that are not premiere.

But my point is this -- you are asking 2 different questions....#1) What is the "best" center for my current setup and #2) If and when I want to upgrade, what would be better.  I HIGHLY suggest you focus on #1 for now, and worry about #2 if and when the time comes to change more than just the center channel.

So question 1 - what should you buy...Ive seen RC42, RC52 and nobody really suggesting RC62.    I'm NOT AN EXPERT BY ANY MEANS...but I personally would think either will work.  And someone like Youthman telling you he doesn't like 4" drivers matters.  Get the 5" RC52ii and be happy with a slightly bigger driver but one that will still match closely.  If anybody with more experience disagrees, please feel free to contradict me, I have no pride in this just a desire to help and do better myself. 

• Moderators
And someone like Youthman telling you he doesn't like 4" drivers matters.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but honestly, this is merely "my" preference.  There maybe other guys that have had great experience with smaller drivers.  I just have not heard a speaker with 4" drivers that absolutely WOW'd me.

I have no pride in this just a desire to help and do better myself.

That's a great attitude to have.  I've been around the forum for awhile now and have contributed a few posts here and there but I still am learning daily....from each of you.  I think that's one thing that makes this forum so great is the collective knowledge and experience that we can share together.

As a newbie maybe I can add a little something.   I first had the R25C.  It's fine, it sounds great and is loud.   There's 2 issues (imo, again a newbie) that caused me to get a different one...I ended up buying the RP250C instead.

#1:  Low frequency - it is spec'd to go down to 82hz, and with a crossover then say at 80 you are taxing the speaker a lot at high volume...better to have a speaker with better low end i.e. 45-65hz.

#2:  Quality - I bought the Premiere version because it still matches what I bought (I have R28Fs up front, not the RP280Fs but they are quite close).  It took 2 minutes to hear the difference in these speakers.  Now, as time goes by, I may (or may not) replace the surrounds and fronts that are not premiere.

But my point is this -- you are asking 2 different questions....#1) What is the "best" center for my current setup and #2) If and when I want to upgrade, what would be better.  I HIGHLY suggest you focus on #1 for now, and worry about #2 if and when the time comes to change more than just the center channel.

So question 1 - what should you buy...Ive seen RC42, RC52 and nobody really suggesting RC62.    I'm NOT AN EXPERT BY ANY MEANS...but I personally would think either will work.  And someone like Youthman telling you he doesn't like 4" drivers matters.  Get the 5" RC52ii and be happy with a slightly bigger driver but one that will still match closely.  If anybody with more experience disagrees, please feel free to contradict me, I have no pride in this just a desire to help and do better myself. 

Just fyi there is a difference in horn sizing as the models go up where the rc52 uses a 5" horn and the rc62 uses a 6" horn. They both use the same size 1" compression driver but with klipsch the horn sizes do matter. This also applies for the tower speakers. I am not sure on the new rp line and the pictures seem to suggest the rp250c and rp450c share the same horn size while the rp440c seems to be smaller. If someone could elaborate on the horn dimensions that would be great. 

They both use the same size 1" compression driver but with klipsch the horn sizes do matter. This also applies for the tower speakers. I am not sure on the new rp line and the pictures seem to suggest the rp250c and rp450c share the same horn size while the rp440c seems to be smaller. If someone could elaborate on the horn dimensions that would be great. 

That's actually wrong the RC-52 and RC62 use different tweeters (there just horn loaded tweeters not CD's) the RC-62 has a much larger heavier tweeter.

The new RP series seem to all use the same tweeter though.

• 9 months later...

The timbre matched speaker for those is the R-25C.  The RP-250C and RC-62 II are a series above what you have now.  If timbre matching is what you want (best streamlined sound) the R-25C is what you'll be looking at.  If you want best quality, the RC-62 II would be your best bet.  Just be aware you may have to dial it back, as your R-28F's may not keep up.