Talk me out of it!

InVeNtOr

Hello fellow K-heads!

i've had a complete 7.1 setup (RF-7/Emotiva) , dual amps, total blow your hair back set up....

i had to move and box it up for several years.... i've recently started back over but i can only do a 3.1.  it's set up, tuned in, and still sounds good when i run the THX demo. 

here's my thoughts...i'm thinking of putting the entire 7 series away.  i already have 1 amp, and 4 RS-42's boxed up.  i doubt i can sell my set up due to all the mods.  my mods don't come with a "name brand" just me, my word, and the caps i chose (which differ from the norm). 

i'm thinking of going with a G42 because it's very clean and i can mount it below my future 75" TV.  i would leave my entertainment system alone, because i would still use my UMC-1 with XPA-3.  i know, the XPA is a little overkill, but it's what i have.  this way i can still use my Sunfire Sub and not need to do any additional cabling.  

my concern... the G42 will sound so much worse than the 7 series.  i've never heard one but i know it can't compete with any reference speaker.  i was also thinking of 3 G-28's, but they are $350 each.  just a bit much for what you get.  i know that series is about performance with a certain look (which i like), but i don't want to run all the wires in the walls.  (i know, silly reason). 

so what does everyone think? is this just a dumb idea? will i regret the switch?

oh, the G42 doesn't come cheap.  it's $550 new from an authorized dealer. (Sound Distributors)

posting a pic of the 3.1.  it's not "finished" but it gets the point across.  the 42" looks super small, and No, i wouldn't normally set a TV on a RC-7, but i really have no choice. the speaker wire is just Mil Spec 12awg twisted pair.  i had it laying around i knew it would "work". post-21676-0-58560000-1451937791_thumb.j

For some rooms the Gallery series is great.  We all make compromises but, the Klipsch sound should still be there.  Give it a week or two to get adjusted to the new sound and setup.  I still like my small HD 500 set.  You don't need giant speakers in every room. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

take it from someone who switches his living room gear around every few months. about once a year i decide i dont need such big stuff in my living room and keep going back to small stuff. buy small stuff then 3 months later I'm selling and going back to big stuff cause i just can't get over the small sound. now, if you had a dedicated theater with rf-7 setup and was talking a 50" over a fireplace then id say sure to keep it nice looking and you have another setup in a different room. but if this is your only setup, you aren't gonna want that 75" new tv having dinky sound to accompany it. 

i say buy some wire track and run it along your baseboard and you won't even notice it then you dont have to run any new wires in wall. problem solved and you get to keep your amazing blow your hair off setup.  B)

• Like 3

...but if this is your only setup, you aren't gonna want that 75" new tv having dinky sound to accompany it. 

i say buy some wire track and run it along your baseboard and you won't even notice it then you dont have to run any new wires in wall. problem solved and you get to keep your amazing blow your hair off setup.  B)

i think the TV comment is what i wasn't considering.  you are right, a nice big TV with tiny speakers seems dumb. right now with the 42" it almost looks dumb with big speakers.

i was only talking about running wires in the wall if i went with the G28's.  i would have to drill horizontal thru the wall, not a huge deal, i just didn't want to.  

in my current set up, the wire you see to the mains (center too) will be replaced at some point.  i just don't know by what or when.  i will most likely run a small speaker wire track against the wall and blend it in, apposed to running it all the way vertical and back down, increasing my speakers cables from 9' to 30'.  honestly, i think i want to explore the braided speaker cable route.  i really like the new power cables i made with a 4 braid x 4 braid, so the braided speaker cables should fit right in. 

thanks Scrappydue from talking me off the ledge!