KT-series positioning?

Daemon

What is the proper positioning for the KT THX series?

I didn't get the manuals with them, so I have nothing to refer to. My theatre room is 11' x 22', and I sit roughly in the middle.

How much does the distance from the front and side walls matter? This room is narrow, so I don't have much room to play with. I'm planning to mount the fronts on the side wall, angled towards my listening position.

I'm not sure about the dipolar surrounds. Should I mount them snug to the wall? I also have about 10' open behind me - will that change how effective they are or where I should place them? I've heard they should be beside you, 2 feet up from your ears?

Of course, my main concern is the subwoofer, which I have in the front corner. How far should it be from the front and side walls to get an even frequency response? The volume dial goes from 1-10, but it has a THX mark just past 10. What is that for? (It's way to loud to be normal).

Something else about the sub: It has 2 RCA input jacks, but any receiver I've seen only has a single sub-out. Should I use an RCA splitter and use both jacks, or which should I use? I've found if I use a splitter I get an annoying 60-Hz hum from the sub, but I don't get it when using a single input.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

I have the original one page instructions that came with the THX speakers. It has a few pictures and simple setup instructions. If you'll e-mail me your address I'll snail mail you a copy.

I also have a pair of Omnimount brackets for the KT-DS's unused in the box,if you're interested.

Keith

• 7 years later...

I still have the unused mounts in the box packed away in the closet, with screws. I bought them many years ago and I don't think they are still available. If you are intrested in them I'll see if I can find the receipt, I have no idea what I paid for them.

I'll look for setup instructions. It may take a few days as I work alot. If I remember correctly they were supposed to be mounted at a 90 degree angle to the seating position with the drivers pointed to the front and rear. That puts the listener in null.