Spotify users chime in.

sean5340

Been using it for a couple years now, love it make sure if you use the app that you go into settings and change the settings so you get extreme quality when streaming or offline playlist. Oh and by the way I fly out of PHI to go offshore so I'm in Houma often.

Edited by rockhound
  • Like 2

I stream through my laptop, then to my Schiit DAC, then to my Pioneer SX-1250 and out to La Scala Industrial Splits.    The fact that I can choose almost every artist I want to listen to, and all of their albums are available is fabulous.  Not my main system, but damn, damn good....

• Like 2

Here's how I use the service for a specific purpose.  I go on rock cruises, many times there are bands that I and my fellow cruisers are unfamiliar with. So I create a folder for each of the bands, and load it full of everything Spotify has on them. Then I go to SetlistFM.com and look up the artist, go to the other specs page, and look at the Average Setlist for the current and prior years. These will be the songs from that artist most likely played on the upcoming cruise. I put those, in setlist order (live or extended cuts where available) in a master cruise list. I publish that on the Facebook site for the cruise and tell the kids to do their homework. Sometimes with 25-30 bands on a ship, these playlists can get up to 40-60 hours of listening but there is nothing like hearing a band for the first time and being somewhat familiar with their material.

Look me up on Spotify - the lists that are most interesting would be those for the progressive rock cruises Cruise to the Edge (CTTE), and Monsters of Rock (MOR). 

Enjoy! 

• Like 3

Been using Spotify Premium for about 6 months to supplement our flac library.  It's a lot a fun and I have no complaints on the sound quality.

We're using Spotify Premium in the following ways:

Sonos Connect to Emotiva DC-1 DAC in the main system.

PC to Emotiva DC-1 DAC in the secondary system.

Sonos Play 5 in the kitchen.

Pioneer A4 wireless speaker in the bedroom via Spotify Connect.

I think it's well-worth $10/month.  It's very fun to have Spotify Premium for get-togethers and parties, as well as for music discovery.

Edited by adam2434
  • Like 1

I like the U.I. and the selection, the quality is better than youtube (320kbps vs 192kbps) which is what I was used to. Then I just had to discover tidal hifi with its 1411kbps flac streaming. If spotify had the higher bitrate I would stay with them, until then unfortunately tidal gets my vote. It must be noted I only have a few cds and literally no other music so for me the cd quality was the decider. 

• Like 1

I've been using premium for over a year now, I just upgraded to a family plan.  It makes it hard to purchase music these days, considering just about everything is at my finger tips.  I have it on my computer here, streaming through my Onkyo receiver in the living room, streaming through my phone connected via blue tooth receiver through my Scott 222, my computer at work, my phone in the car, man there's endless possibilities.

• Like 1

If you are a Spotify premium user, you can access Fidelify. It's been in BETA for quite some time so I don't know if they will pursue it or not. I think SWL posted about Fidelify some time back.

Audiophile streaming

"Fidelify uses Spotify Core to deliver streaming content directly to the soundcard, using either ASIO or WASAPI. This enables the user to easily avoid sampling conversion or mixing, ensuring a bit perfect stream.

Fidelify also supports convolution of the audio stream, to allow real time FIR filtering for active crossovers or room correction, and a VST plugin socket to apply third party DSP effects."

http://fidelify.net/

• Like 1

In terms of using the Spotify service, I don't keep music on my iPhone, prefer iPad so I don't use the offline feature at all but probably should try it at least.

In the house, my iMac is connected to Yamaha stereo receiver to forte II speakers in the home office, then B speakers are CDT5800 in the kitchen area nearby. I use the AppleTV to listen to whatever's being played on my iTunes folder in the hearth room where the LaScalas are ( my main theater/living area), and soon will have upgraded my computer, RAID, and operating system so I can stream whatever's being played on the computer (Spotify) to that area of the house. 

• Like 1