RS-42, RS-52 angled or flat?

ClintonH

I'm going to be redoing a bunch of my HT here in the next few weeks since I have new gear coming in.

I have a pair of RS-42's and might be getting a pair of RS-52's, for sides and back 7.1.2.

Just curious if you guys angle them down towards the LP or just flat on the wall? I've been running mine flat, never really thought about runing them at a angle until now.

Unless they are like 8 feet high they should be flat. I only know a couple guys that angle theirs and it's because they are very high on the wall.

There at 7' so not that high, room is only 7'4" to the roof line (drop ceiling)

I leave them flat also.  They were made to wall mount flat.

That's what I figured but wanted to see if anyone ran them any other way. :)

That is one fine mod you did there.  When I heard about angling I first thought that would look like crap.  That looks nice.  I recently switched my surrounds from SS-1's to RS-42ii's, all I can say is wow, wow, wow.  For technically just adding one more woofer the sound is incredibly different.  Was the ss-1 that bad of a speaker, or is the 42ii that good of a speaker

• Moderators
That is one fine mod you did there.

I appreciate the compliment but I have to give credit to wakejunkie.  I believe he called it a french cleat?  Dude can build just about anything.  He's working on building my new front wall now.

Was the ss-1 that bad of a speaker, or is the 42ii that good of a speaker

Both....the original "Reference" speakers are a considerable improvement over the Synergy series.  I have not heard the new "Reference" series myself but have owned just about every Reference speaker Klipsch has made.  Still have a few more to go.  LOL

speaker-list-09-08-16.jpg

• Like 1

I had the ss-1's for maybe 10 years and just figured "hey they're klipsch" they're ok, and with the 7's and 64 in front, I never realized what I was missing in the back.  The ss1's were bought way back when I had Cerwin Vegas as a front stage lol.  I should have tried hooking my rb51ii's in the rear to check the difference, but just kept building my front stage.  I can say the 42ii's are a night and day difference., the most noticable upgrade I have made in my system.  I sold the ss-1's mint for $175 shipped and got a great deal on new 42ii's for 310dlvd which made my upgrade a no brainer

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of RF-52IIs as side surrounds and a pair of RF-42IIs as rears. Both pairs had to be mounted near the ceiling at 8 feet so I angled them down as much as possible using the keyhole bracket, about 15-20 degrees. It works but I've now added four CDT-5800Cs into the ceiling for Atmos and now I think I need to angle them down even more. Any strong brackets out there that might help with more angle with these big suckers?

have a pair of RF-52IIs as side surrounds and a pair of RF-42IIs as rears. Both pairs had to be mounted near the ceiling at 8 feet so I angled them down as much as possible using the keyhole bracket, about 15-20 degrees.

Those are some mighty strong key hole's!

I'm guessing you meant RS not RF's. I have some RS-7s mounted high and angled down using gate hinges and a chain.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/680426-klipsch-owner-thread-845.html#post23651742

Edited by Tasdom

LOL! Yes, RS, of course. My bad. But I do have RF-7IIs up front.

By the way, I just a minute ago replaced my RS-42IIs in the rear with a pair of RB-41IIs direct firing speakers and was able to angle them even more downward. Might try to do the same with the 52IIs with a pair of RB-51Is and see if that works. Your idea of the hinges and chains sounds doable.

I'm also thinking the RBs will mesh better with my ceiling Atmos speakers. The 42s and 52s were seeming to clash and fill the 18x21 room with too much diffuse sound. Even making my RC-64II center sound boxy and base-y.