Winter Fat Biking?

Turbox

• Moderators

#&(( no, it's freezing and exercise combined.. :o ............. But Congratulations, I would imagine it's a great workout, your obviously a better person than me !   :emotion-21:

Maby a chairlift to the top of a mountain and ride down 

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

The NPR station for Chicago WBEZ had a local program about winter biking this morning. Mostly pre-arranged call ins.

Chicago has many paths incorporated in city streets but also paths for bikers and joggers. Aside from clothing, the plowing of those types of paths, and black ice, were a major subject.

From your photo, it looks like you're riding in suburban and rural areas with fresh snow.

The subject of snow tires was mentioned on the program.

My only experience was when I got my first "real" bike, and new bike, in grade school at Christmas. Five speeds with narrow tires! There was snow on Long Island but I got out for a cautious ride. Only a few incidents of side slip.

So I always wonder about kids in snow country getting a bike for Christmas. Now that trail bikes with fat tires are common they probably can go out and enjoy them, as you do.

Thanks for the post and the memories.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

This picture was taken on a community trail near my house, a couple days back. as soon as i got down a bit further, i popped into the bush for some single track, there was about 2 to 3 inches of powder. 5 inch tires, there are some icy hills where spikes would be useful. if you've never tried it, give it a shot.

two nights ago at the 4.5kms turnaround spot. there is a kids tobogan hill. while they were sliding down the hill,i was climbing up the hill on my bike. i find that about 8 psi is the right amount of pressure for those single track bush trails, I may try 6 or 7 psi for some of those hills.