Unfinished Cornwall cabinets?

I have been approached to buy a pair of Klipsch Cornwall's from the 70's. They do not appear to have any veneer, or be unfinished. I have no experience with vintage speakers and I would like to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Guy is asking $700 for the pair. Any advice for a newbie who really wants a pair of old-school speakers? 

post-42583-0-79840000-1452277933_thumb.j

post-42583-0-33000000-1452277943_thumb.j

1979 models.  They do appear to have some type of finish on them from the sheen on the wood.  Better photos would help.  But look at the nice dark woofers and they appear to be very clean.  If the wood is free from damage and scratching on all four sides they should easily be worth $500 to $700.  Take a good look or get better photos I would offer $600 and see if he takes after you get a closer look at them though.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

if they are local to you and you can pick them without shipping i say go for them if you like the look of raw birch ( i love the look ) 700 is reasonable if the cabinets are not beat up and no shipping charges or damage from shipping

you have to make sure the tweeters, midrange drivers and woofers work in both speakers

Edited by Budman

I think I paid $500 for mine a few years ago, but they were veneered and there were some issues with the veneer so they have been refinished.  If everything is working and the cabinets are in nice shape I would agree with making an offer on them but as Budman stated, if you want them and it's all working and local, I don't think I would get hung up on $100-$150 bucks one way or the other.  Welcome to the forum!

The other 3 pictures in the CL ad show cabinet damage, mostly confined to the edges.

There may be more, as the tops are not clearly shown.

OP, if you like 'em, get them.

Your cost of ownership may be next to nothing if you can negotiate a better purchase price - should you decide to sell them later.

If you're not into the look of raw birch with 40 years of character, I would suggest you pass and leave them for someone who is. It would be a shame to cover those up with modern veneer.

Agree wholeheartedly with this

Quoting for the sake of posterity and to prevent against future edits. (because of Jim's overwhelming agreement with me on something :P)

Edited by Thaddeus Smith
  • Like 2

If the drivers all work and you like them make an offer. Yes you can put veneer on them but only cost effective if you do it your self . Veneer is not cheap. If there is damage that will have to be repaired and a complete sanding for veneer to stick. If you veneer the motor board that could give you an awesome set of speakers. Rick