Amplifier upgrade?

LeonBryant

Without getting into the weeds with specific stereo amplifier models, I'm wondering if there are suggestions for amp manufacturers that I could investigate. i currently have a Pioneer VSX-D812. It's adequate for movie surround through some older Acoustic Research tower speakers and Advent surrounds .But it's a receiver and tries to do everything, which means it doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

But I am interested now in quality stereo. I have just purchased some Forte IIs, and want to find a good basic amp for stereo listening that does not "color" the sound in any way.

I'm starting at a fairly basic level and would like to know where to look for a clean, good-quality amp. Any suggestions and guidance are welcome. 

Thanks!

Leon

Without getting into the weeds with specific stereo amplifier models, I'm wondering if there are suggestions for amp manufacturers that I could investigate. i currently have a Pioneer VSX-D812. It's adequate for movie surround through some older Acoustic Research tower speakers and Advent surrounds .But it's a receiver and tries to do everything, which means it doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

But I am interested now in quality stereo. I have just purchased some Forte IIs, and want to find a good basic amp for stereo listening that does not "color" the sound in any way.

I'm starting at a fairly basic level and would like to know where to look for a clean, good-quality amp. Any suggestions and guidance are welcome. 

Thanks!

Leon

Cruise your local CL daily, you will be suprised what you find, good deals to be had im tellin ya.

• Like 1

Power amp?

Your fortes won't require anywhere near the power of your other speakers.   

ATI.  No nonsense amplification, very good specs, US made, long warranty.  They're kinda pricey full coin, but classicaudioparts.com is their online retailer for better deals on b-stock, or used (I think the warranty is transferrable, not quite sure on that).  I use an AT602, which is kind of modestly powered, but considering it only takes about 35 watts to blast us out of the room, it's fine.  Next notch up is their AT1202.  I don't recommend their more powerful amps because they lack gain controls, and the low power ones should suffice for all but the largest of rooms when driving fortes.

Cost no object?  One of those fancy Benchmark amps.  DAC like s/n, probably the best low-level performance available right now.

Frugal?  Emotiva has always been a value leader.

Ski Bum, classicaudioparts.com has "b-stock" AT602 for $349 and change:

This amplifier is considered to be "B" Stock by Amplifier Technologies which means it has minor cosmetic damage.  It is electrically perfect and is covered by ATI's 7-year parts and labor warranty. 

We have one, only of these "B" stock units available and they are offered at a special price of $349.95 each.  First come, first served.

What do you think? Did you buy yours new?

Have you thought of running tubes with them?  A nice amp with them makes them sound outstanding IMO. I use 3 types depending on my mood. A Class A SET, a SEP, and an integrated PP. One of the amps runs at 1.5 WPC and is more than loud enough.

I have a pair of Forte II's with the Crites crossovers and titanium diaphrams.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

Thanks!

Leon

Leon,

Amplifiers are like opinions if you know what I mean.

Older, Silver faced Pioneer receivers like the SX-3900 will sound extremely well with the speakers you have. I personally like older Pioneer amplifiers.

While the speakers you have purchased are excellent sounding and efficient reproducers, they do not warrant things like Bi-Amping, which does work, or Bi-Wiring wich is just a load of crap ;)

I bought a set of Quartets back when they were brand new, which are one model smaller than your Forte'IIs. At that time, I also purchased a brand new Nakamichi TA4A receiver at 100 watts RMS per channel that sounded exceptional at the time.

If you are sold on the idea of getting an outboard amp, I suggest a used Nakamichi PA-5 at 100 watts RMS per channel or it's big brother the Nakamichi PA-7 at 200 watts RMS per channel or the Nakaminchi PA-7II at 225 watts RMS per channel.

I personally run 4 of these bigger used Nakamichi amps to power my surround systems channels :)

Roger

Leon,

I don't know your budget but I would look into some of the sub $800.00 integrated amps form NAD, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Marantz, and Onkyo.  They all do 2-channel pretty well without coloration with a neutral sound signature.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas701bl/yamaha-a-s701-natural-sound-integrated-stereo-amplifier-black/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onka9050/onkyo-a-9050-integrated-stereo-amplifier/1.html#!specifications

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marpm7005/marantz-pm7005-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-d-to-a-converter/1.html

Now for your local craigslist.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/5392703433.html

Great combination B&K preamp(pre/pro) and and stereo amp.

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/5385240224.html

These early 90's Denon integrated amps are rock solid, neutral, great punch, and sound wonderful with forte' II's.  I should know because I drove my forte' I's with a Denon PMA-1080R for over three years.

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/5373633319.html

Very good price on an incredible Acurus integrated amp that has plenty of punch, as neutral as you can get, and very detailed.

Bill

• Like 1

I don't own Forte II's but I have plenty of Klipsch speakers and they all love Emotiva amps. Amazing bang for the buck. They are having a sale that ends on the 11th but they are following that act up in mid to late January with a clearance sale. Several of their amps are Class a but most are A/B......Hard to beat...

Edited by teaman

Ski Bum, classicaudioparts.com has "b-stock" AT602 for $349 and change:

This amplifier is considered to be "B" Stock by Amplifier Technologies which means it has minor cosmetic damage.  It is electrically perfect and is covered by ATI's 7-year parts and labor warranty. 

We have one, only of these "B" stock units available and they are offered at a special price of $349.95 each.  First come, first served.

What do you think? Did you buy yours new?

I got mine there a couple years ago for $250 in seemingly new condition.  I probably wouldn't even have an ATI unless the price was really right.  I'm cheap, I admit it.  Because of your speakers' sensitivity and fairly easy load, your choice of amplification is really wide open.  I've had good results with most everything I've tried, just mentioned the ATI because it is indeed a great amp for fortes: exemplary performance where it counts, at 1w and below, the ATI is dead silent; high current, can cope with just about anything; gain controls; satisfaction with supporting US workers; warranty, etc.  The value proposition I'll leave to you.  

I agree with the others that fortes and tubes work well, but didn't mention anything because the request was for a clean amp.  I use single ended power most of the time, which isn't "clean" but really is quite beguiling anyway.  This too can be taken care of cheaply.  Have a look at some of Maynard's and Mike's threads on homebrew  tube toys for ideas.     

Edited by Ski Bum

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Forte II  and love them -   i would agree with trying a Emotiva Amp -   i have the Xpa 5 and Umc 200 -  sound very good to me -  at the moment i am using them with the Emo preamp but a QSC GX 5 amp - much more power than i ever need  for them -  and they sound great there also -   i also heard them off a Kenwood KA 801  i have -  very nice -   i ended up leaving mines on the Emo. because i need volume control 

Next is a Tube amp for them -  once i make room -   i need to sell the kenwood first when i am ready for a tube amp -  the kenwood is now working a pair of KG 2  till i decide to change things up -

those forte II can really scream :)

I've owned a pair of Forte II's for over a quarter of a century now.  In that time, I've run them with literally dozens of different amps and they all sounded at least "good".  My all-time favorites (among solid state) were an ADCOM GFA-545 (100wpc) and an NAD 2600A (150wpc).  I also had success with a pair of budget king Audiosource AMP-100s set up as a bridged mono pair (130wpc) - stunningly fine sound for a total investment of under $200 (for the pair, new in the boxes, I know right???!!)

Today, I use a heavily modified tube amp based on a Jolida 302 design that puts out a measly 60 watts.  But you know what?  Despite the alleged "flaws" of tubes (tube hiss, transformer hum, even order distortion, etc), I feel like I am finally capable of hearing all the way "into" my speakers and whatever source material I am playing.  The final veil has been lifted. 

My advice would be to play around with whatever affordable used transistor amps you can find in your area.  Try at least two or three.  But keep tubes in the back of your mind.  When you are ready to make the jump to that next level beyond ordinary "stereo gear" let us know.  There are plenty of tubeheads around here to welcome you to the club!