Wires

Kelly McAloney

How long is it? Many people Y from a male to male RCA cable so they can go into both the L and R inputs on a sub using what you are describing(1 female to 2 males).

Like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=2

Edited by babadono

• Moderators

Kelly, can you post a photo of what you do have?  We are only guessing at this point.

Whether you have 1)  A long cable (say 10'-20') with 1 Male RCA on one end and 2 Male RCA on the other end or 2) A long cable with 1 RCA Male on one end and 1 RCA Male on the other end and use a Y adapter (1 Female RCA on one end and 2 Male RCA on the other end).....there is no benefit to either...they both serve the same purpose.

We are talking about a powered sub? And the cable(s) to it? Most all subs sum the signals on the two inputs (after all it is a mono subwoofer) so you will have more gain with the same signal going into both inputs. It will be easier to overdrive the sub with both inputs connected. If you are using an AVR with calibration software (audessey or similar) it will take this into account and reduce the signal going to the sub. So if you have a dedicated subwoofer out going to your sub it should make no difference as long as you run the calibration software with either configuration.

• Like 1

Kelly, can you post a photo of what you do have? We are only guessing at this point.

Whether you have 1) A long cable (say 10'-20') with 1 Male RCA on one end and 2 Male RCA on the other end or 2) A long cable with 1 RCA Male on one end and 1 RCA Male on the other end and use a Y adapter (1 Female RCA on one end and 2 Male RCA on the other end).....there is no benefit to either...they both serve the same purpose.

sorry youth not home and won't be for a couple days so right now no pic but it is about six feet long with 2 make rca at one end and1 female Eva at the other end, seems weird they would include it if it has no purpose [emoji17]

• Moderators
six feet long with 2 make rca at one end and1 female Eva at the other end

Are you sure it's a single female at the other end?  Should be a male.

seems weird they would include it if it has no purpose

It actually does serve a purpose.  There are some subs that will not work if you only plug in a single RCA.  I don't understand it either since it is a mono signal.  Maybe someone else can chime in why.

six feet long with 2 make rca at one end and1 female Eva at the other end

Are you sure it's a single female at the other end? Should be a male.

seems weird they would include it if it has no purpose

It actually does serve a purpose. There are some subs that will not work if you only plug in a single RCA. I don't understand it either since it is a mono signal. Maybe someone else can chime in why.
im sure it is single female there is spicy above in another comment

you double the db gain when you use both the L/R inputs.  using 1 input you only get 3db.  i personally use the 2 male 1 female adapter from monoprice, i had to save up for it because it cost .65! lol!

so far, from what i have seen from klipsch subs, they utilize the duel inputs this way.  my current sub (Sunfire True 12") does not.  easiest way to know if your sub does or does not, use a standard adapter (like the one i just mentioned) and if it fits, that sub will benefit from it. 

if you don't believe me, hook it up, use 1 input, listen, then hook up both, listen.