Help identifying some Heresy speakers

pat_in_dfw

I found speakers advertised on CL as Heresys (didn't say I, II or III), but the prior owner painted them black, put plastic corner guards on them and put a pair of handles on the side.  I might buy them if I can find out more about their origin.

The serial numbers are 158Y728 and 158Y746.  I found something about the code used and from interpreting that I think the 158 means first day (or first month) of the year 85.  

Or that might be completely wrong and it could be the codes used for speakers from '62 to '83 using the letter format.

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62 F=67 K=72 R=77 X=82
B=63 G=68 L=73 S=78 Y=83
C=64 H=69 M=74 T=79
D=65 I=70 N=75 U=80
E=66 J=71 P=76 W=81

In that case could it mean the 158th day of 1983 (hence the Y)?

Anyone know what the serial number means?

Thanks

1983. Heresy # 157,728 and # 157,746

V. HERITAGE SERIAL NUMBERS:

1. Based upon additional information related to the use of letters starting in 1955, the 1962-1983 coding has been modified to reflect that information.

2. The serial number was written on the paper serial tags and die stamped on the back edge of the top panel (inside top portion in LS). This practice was not used on later "MDF" cabinets for Heresy's, etc. Serial numbers can often be found written in pencil on the inside of some of the Heritage series, most notably Klipschorn's and Belle's.

3. While the 1946-1961 manufacturing dates can only be found in the Engineering Library in Indianapolis, accurate specific dates for the day of manufacture may also be found by close examination of the interior of the speaker cabinets. As an example there were often small inspection tags stapled inside the cabinets and penciled notations with dates inside the cabinets. An example of the production inspection stickers was the use of "PRIDE" stickers inside some models. These were used in the early through mid-1980's.

4. Additional letters stamped in the edges of Heritage series made from birch plywood, and on the poplar and ash "lumber core" as the substrate, were "USA" and/or the cabinet builder's and final sander's initial(s). For reasons of protecting their right to privacy, I have not identified the names of those superb craftsmen (and women).

DATES DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947 ### 001-020 (ending at #20)

1. 1946 & 1947 Klipschorn serials #002 - #013 were made by Baldwin Piano.

2. Serial numbers #14-20 were made for purchasers in Paul Klipsch's "tin shack", before the move to the newly built factory. There are no Klipschorn's with a serial number between 21 and 120.

1948-1961 #### (starting #0121)

From 1948 though 1961, Klipschorn's had the serial number stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door, or inside the woofer chamber.

3. The number Klipschorns produced in 1948 is unknown; a total of 26 were made in 1949

1955-1983 ##letter#### 20Y1234

1. Letters that look like numbers (e.g. I, O, Q, V) were not used. "S" is frequently misread as a "5" and Y has been confused with an X on occasion.

2. July 29, 1955 was the last day for the four digit serials (i.e. 1811). After that the "number- letter-serial" system went into effect (2 August 1955). The first "number-letter-serial" speaker was produced on the 2nd of August 1955; that serial number was 1A812.

3. In the 1955-1983 serial method the first, or prefix "digit(s)" before the year letter represents the sequence of production for each 1000 units. The suffix digits after the letter code will always be three digits - 001 through 999. For example 1C999 would be the 999th unit built, and 2C999 would be the 1999th built in 1965 C = 1965).

4. These digits before & after the year code apply only to that type of speaker.

5. The year code letter only identifies the year in which that number occurred.

6. As an example, if you have a pair of Klipschorn's and one of the serial numbers is 15T252, then by 1979 there had been 14,151 Klipschorn's made (Klipschorn's made in 1946-1947 were serial numbered from 1 to 20, and in 1948 started with #121, skipping #21 through #120).

7. For a pair of 1979 La Scala's, with serial number 22T403, it means there were 21,403 La Scala's made to that point.

8. Another example: A pair of Belles from 1979 has the serial number 3T242 and 243. This means that in 1979 these Klipsch Belles, the 2,242nd & 2,243rd, were made.

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE (1955 THROUGH 1983 ONLY)

A = 1955-63* F = 1968 L = 1973 S = 1978

B = 1963-64* G = 1969 M = 1974 T = 1979

C = 1965 H = 1970 N = 1975 U = 1980

D = 1966 J = 1971 P = 1976 W = 1981

E = 1967 K = 1972 R = 1977 X = 1982

Y = 1983

* Cornwall's & La Scala's used "A" 1963 and "B" for 1964; the first Cornwall to use a letter code was 3A09, shipped in August of 1963.

1984-1989 YYWW#### 89261234

1. YY = year (e.g. 89 = 1989)

2. WW = week of the year (e.g. 26= last week in June)

3. The WW can also be a single digit for weeks 01 through 09; e.g. 877#### (mid February 1987)

4. In the early-mid 80's (generally starting in 1984), Klipschorn's had two serial numbers assigned to each speaker; one for the bass bin and one for the top section. The bass bin had an "L/F" at the end of the "type code" (see further below) and the top section had an "H/F" at the end of the type code.

5. This coding was is used on Chorus, Forte & Academy

Edited by mungkiman
  • Like 1

Heresy I

X. HERITAGE PRODUCTION NOTES & TIME LINES:

1. HERESY:

1957: The Heresy is introduced as a center channel for the Klipschorn. It is the first Klipsch speaker that does not require corner placement. This model utilized the K-1000 midrange horn. These are rare, and one example in the Museum in Hope is the rarest of all the Klipsch heritage speakers.

1957 - 1959: Both 8" and 12" woofer versions were produced during this period.

1967 - The H-700 is introduced in the now familiar format using a 12" K-22 woofer (There were several variants used E, EF, K) K-700 horn; K-55-V mid-range and the K-77 (T-35 type Alnico magnet) tweeter. From this date through the end of the model run in 1985, various networks were used: Type C, Type E and Type E-2. All were variations on the same design.

1972-1973: The Heresy's name is changed from H-700 to Heresy.

1983-1984: The K-24 woofer is substituted for the K-22, and during the last production of the Heresy-I, the midrange K-53/701 is substituted for the K-55/700.

1985: The Heresy II is introduced using a mid-range and tweeter driver set that, for the first time since the introduction of the H-700 differed from that of the Klipschorn. Component designations were: Woofer K-24-K, Midrange K-701 horn and K-52 driver (the mid range assembly was also stamped K-53 on the driver). The tweeter is K-75-K horn and K-76 driver. This was the first Heresy model to discontinue the use the traditional alpha numeric network designations (Type E-2). All of the drivers in the Heresy II were front mounted to reduce the diffraction effects caused by rear mounting and firing through the motor board.

May 2001: Finish, grill and riser variant options are reduced from nearly 100 to 10.

Sept 29, 2005: The Heresy III is introduced featuring increased sensitivity (3dB), Titanium mid-range and tweeter diaphragms, Tractrix tweeter horn and bi-wire inputs. Component designations are: Woofer K-28-E, Midrange K-53-Ti (K-701 horn and K-53-Ti driver), Tweeter K-107-Ti (K-79-T horn and K-100-Ti driver). Finish, grille and riser variations are further reduced from 10 to 3.

May 2006: The Heresy III midrange compression driver is sourced to a new supplier and the network is revised to compensate for the change.

Edited by mungkiman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.  This would mean that they were among the last Heresys made before the Heresy II came out.  I think I'll take a flyer and buy them.  I won't be able to know about the mid driver until I get them.

the heresy 11's came out in late 1985 and the Y stands for 1983 in the ones your talking about

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

I have a pair of Heresy’s and I’m trying to find out what model and/or the year they were manufactured.  The label on the back shows that the mode was HWL, the serial number is 61S952.  They were inspected by Gevin Fox and tested by NW Bradford.  Can anyone help?  Thanks…

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Al Trace said:

I have a pair of Heresy’s and I’m trying to find out what model and/or the year they were manufactured.  The label on the back shows that the mode was HWL, the serial number is 61S952.  They were inspected by Gevin Fox and tested by NW Bradford.  Can anyone help?  Thanks…

The "S" indicated it is 1978. Welcome to the Forum.

7 hours ago, Al Trace said:

HWL.means they are Heresy Walnut Lacquer. The lacquer was not a typical model, so hopefully they are in good condition still. Post pics! 

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

hi i have three klipsch hersey hsm vintage models  serial stamped into the steel speaker connection housing is #3150/3151/3884 last one being a wedge floor monitor all three are heavy 62 lbs each and and have aluminon  around the speakers  edges and corners - these came from a dirct factory sale  in the 1980's late-  they are much heavy and more powerful than the home models i had a few years ago -- does anyone know anything about value of these units - they have been used in a club for almost 40 years   as portable patio speakers for a disco - outside they have signs of wear on the black wood parts but function quite well - club closed recently and i have these to sell any help on exact model types 1/ 2 /3 etc  and valve to sell  would be greatly helpful-- have not seen any of these on ebay just the home models that come up occasionally- these are much more heavy duty - and industrial in look - thanks  

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, doker bohm said:

hi i have three klipsch hersey hsm vintage models  serial stamped into the steel speaker connection housing is #3150/3151/3884 last one being a wedge floor monitor all three are heavy 62 lbs each and and have aluminon  around the speakers  edges and corners - these came from a dirct factory sale  in the 1980's late-  they are much heavy and more powerful than the home models i had a few years ago -- does anyone know anything about value of these units - they have been used in a club for almost 40 years   as portable patio speakers for a disco - outside they have signs of wear on the black wood parts but function quite well - club closed recently and i have these to sell any help on exact model types 1/ 2 /3 etc  and valve to sell  would be greatly helpful-- have not seen any of these on ebay just the home models that come up occasionally- these are much more heavy duty - and industrial in look - thanks  

Welcome, we will need some photos of the speakers frond and back and the rear labels to be able to tell you for sure.

I picked up a pair of Heresy (1?) yesterday. Unfortunately they lack the paper on back. Stamped serial numbers are 92L488 and 92L489. They also have some letters stamped in the upper left and they are AS  P. Only thing I can figure out is they are 1973...U think. They are in great shape and sound wonderful. Any help on what I have?

spacer.png

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, geezin' said:

I picked up a pair of Heresy (1?) yesterday. Unfortunately they lack the paper on back. Stamped serial numbers are 92L488 and 92L489. They also have some letters stamped in the upper left and they are AS  P. Only thing I can figure out is they are 1973...U think. They are in great shape and sound wonderful. Any help on what I have?

spacer.png

spacer.png

that looks like a "T" to me, not an "L" -- so they're 1979.

image.png.bf2fc89d06581bc931e82f3ca6fa3e5c.png

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have a pair of Heresys I just purchased from the original owner who said he purchased them at Lakenheath AB in the UK in 1985. He said they are French polished. I don’t know what that is and can’t find any referrals to it online. The serial #’s are 8528121 and 8528139. The labels say Klipsch Heresy HBR. Can anyone shed any light on the “French polished”? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Islander said:

HBR = Heresy Birch Raw i.e. unfinished, so the owner could stain or paint them as desired.

Could "French polished" mean lacquered?

That’s what I’m thinking. They are a beautiful light maple type color and in super condition other than a few light scratches. My first Heresys and they sound beautiful. And people who say they don’t have any bass-they are looking for too much bass, because they have plenty for my ears!

From Bob Villa:

What is French Polish?

French polish is not a product. Rather, French polishing is a method of applying shellac to wood furniture, musical instruments, or decorative accents in many thin layers—typically well over 100—that results in a highly glossy, glass-smooth surface with a rich depth that beautifully highlights the grain of the wood. While it’s been around since the 1600s, French polish today has somewhat fallen out of favor, due to its labor-intensive process.

• Like 1