So, Why Was the M40 Abandoned?

boom3

After getting only a "discontinued" response from Klipsch, and no response from reaching out to Klipsch employees, I have to ask: Why did Klipsch abandon this very expensive product, and why is there zero aftermarket support? 

I already know, from my own experience and the wonderful world of web opinions that:

They are not very comfortable

The noise cancelling really depends more on isolation (that tight clamping) and noise masking, and was never as effective as the competition

The headbands and ear cushions are not very sturdy (my ear cushions split despite careful handling)

All that being said, Klipsch could at least have provisioned enough headbands and cushions to help us out. Klipsch is famous-rightly so- for supporting decades old speakers, so why not a product that was marketed as a"flagship" entry?

• 4 months later...

That is a DFQ (D@Mn fine Question)!  I bought into the hype and bought the M40s, even though they were not the most comfortable headphones, they did sound good and I got a good buy (still not cheap).  Very soon after the warranty was out, the noise canceling stopped working.  Now, one of the ear pads is splitting and Klipsch does not carry replacements (and I can't find any after-market sources so far).

To answer you question though, if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say they abandoned them because they realized they were crap!  They would be well served if at least they would source some replacement ear pads for these expensive headphones! The lack of support so quickly after they were discontinued does not inspire me to want to buy any other Klipsch products. 

Edited by BasilFawlty
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd say that this is unlike Klipsch, since they are famous for decades-long support for products. There's something more to this, maybe patent infringement...?

Well it would be wonderful if someone from Klipsch (this is their forum after all) would jump in here and tell us why there is no support for such expensive headphones.  If it was something like what you suggested, I'd imagine that would be something that would be known.  I really think Klipsch would engender a lot of good will if they would source a replacement for the ear pads for these otherwise nice headphones (and did I mention they were expensive!)

• Administrators

I'll check with Customer Support.

I'm sorry this has brought on doubts about our support. We are constantly striving to improve. I'll pass this along and see if I can get a definitive answer.

• Like 3

• Administrators
They clearly have no concern for their customers or after product service

Also, I can say with 100% confidence that this is false. We actually have some things in the works that will help people looking for an easy way to get some replacement parts, as well as improving our online support knowledgebase.

• Like 5

They clearly have no concern for their customers or after product service

Also, I can say with 100% confidence that this is false. We actually have some things in the works that will help people looking for an easy way to get some replacement parts, as well as improving our online support knowledgebase.

I and many other owners of M40's have yet to see proof of this concern and after product service .

Will be the first to praise you if something can be done to resolve this issue .

Bottom line is these are fantastic sounding headphones and I don't want to lose them .

If you have some  "things" in the work communicate , communicate , communicate and then will stop miserable buggers like me moaning    

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see 

On July 13, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Chad said:

Glad to hear this and am hopeful that replacement ear pads can be sourced.  I and many others invested a good amount of hard earned money in these headphones only to have the ear pads disintegrate in a relatively short time (Picture attached)

M40.JPG

• 2 months later...

These headphones came out a bit prior to the start of my Klipsch tenure, but I can try my best to explain. Due to some of the inherent faults in the design of the Mode M40, it got "modified/converted" through various tooling changes to become the Status Over-Ear. The process removed ANC, improved acoustics, and made a few structural changes.

That being said, the structural changes impacted the tools that make the pieces for Mode M40. The tools were modified to make Status parts. In other words, in order to make some aftermarket support pieces brand new tools costing tens of thousands of dollars would have had to be created. On top of that, Status had decreased clamp force and different foam than Mode M40. That makes the Status/Mode M40 pads incompatible with each other. Batches of foam come in 40' sheets. As you can imagine, that'll make an excess amount of earpads for us.

I've been sending a few of these earpads out over the last 2 years to anyone who comes through with requests but I simply ran out of Beta units to rob earpads off of. Next, I'll be working with the supplier to see if there's any chance they have any extras available or negotiating lower minimum order quantities. I know this news isn't great but I hope that provides some guidance as to what's going on.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:05 AM, Vlad said:

Due to some of the inherent faults in the design of the Mode M40, it got "modified/converted" through various tooling changes to become the Status Over-Ear. 

That being said, the structural changes impacted the tools that make the pieces for Mode M40. The tools were modified to make Status parts. In other words, in order to make some aftermarket support pieces brand new tools costing tens of thousands of dollars would have had to be created.

I think that pretty much answers the question right there..

On October 4, 2016 at 0:21 PM, jjptkd said:

I've got a brand new pair of the M40's I've only used a handful of times, now I'm afraid to pull them back out of the box!  :unsure:

That's like not driving a car because the tires are going to wear out too soon.  :P

Sorry that they aren't lasting like they should :mellow:

On 10/8/2016 at 1:02 PM, jjptkd said:

Truth is while I really enjoy the way they sound they just aren't that comfortable to me. Tight fitting and kind of heavy / bulky to wear, I should probably just sell them off and maybe try the newer version?

This is one of the major reasons it became the Status headphone. And since that headphone's discontinuation we will finally have the Reference Over-Ear by the end of the month.

• Like 1