Thoughts on Chorus 1s

BobK

I've had KG4s for a few years.  Did the crites xover/tweeter to them but really did not think it changed them all that much over stock, maybe a little but nothing earth shattering.

I just picked up some Chorus 1s, it was local so I did not have to deal with shipping.   They sound pretty good, maybe a bit bigger than the KG4s but I would not say they crush the KG4s.

Anyone here update their Chorus 1s?   Did it make much difference in sound?

the mid driver of the Chorus is much larger than the tweeter diaphragm used on the KG4 so right there the Chorus is probably coming in at close to half the distortion level of the KG4 regardless of level the Chorus is the hands down winner I would define that as crushing. The KG4 is tuned lower so they is a response advantage to the KG4 but that can be adjusted for by re tuning the Chorus with longer port vents. The Chorus can out play the KG4 without breaking a sweat and with much much much lower woofer motion and so far less distortion. So if you still feel the KG4 are winning in all areas then you have a very sick pair of Chorus that require some TLC. Having said all of this it is entirely possible that you prefer the presentation of a two way over a three way (I do) and if that is the case I would recommend a set of CF3 or CF4, either of those will crucify a KG4. A less expensive and easier to find option to the CF3/4 would be the KG 5.5, not as good as a CF3/4 but better bass than a KG4 and capable of playing louder and taking a lot more power resulting in cleaner bass also. Hope enjoy your Chorus they are a fine speaker when in top condition. The Chorus ll is an even better option than the Chorus if you can find a pair. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

I've had KG4s for a few years.  Did the crites xover/tweeter to them but really did not think it changed them all that much over stock, maybe a little but nothing earth shattering.

I just picked up some Chorus 1s, it was local so I did not have to deal with shipping.   They sound pretty good, maybe a bit bigger than the KG4s but I would not say they crush the KG4s.

What amp are you using?

" The Chorus ll is an even better option than the Chorus if you can find a pair. Best regards Moray James."

Thanks Moray,   Yes I am not sure if these Chorus 1s are functioning tip top.   I think I'll replace the tweeters and that is pretty inexpensive to start.

I looked at the ports and they don't have tubes, just two large holes.   I shined a light in there and could see the cross over.  There is no dampening material or foam inside, just bare walls.  Is that normal?

Edited by BobK

I've owned the 2's better for sure BUT the Chorus aint no slouch my son has the KP-301's which are suppose to be the Chorus 1 in pro form. Anyway those Chorus should fit the bill over the KG.

Trust me when I say that the CF4 that Moray mentioned above will best both easily.

I've owned the 2's better for sure BUT the Chorus aint no slouch my son has the KP-301's which are suppose to be the Chorus 1 in pro form. Anyway those Chorus should fit the bill over the KG.

Trust me when I say that the CF4 that Moray mentioned above will best both easily.

Yea those CF4s must be impressive.  They don't look very large.   I want to tune up these Chorus,  I think the left tweeter is a bit distorted so a set of new tweets should help.

The only thing that sort of made me hestitate on the chorus was the size.  OMG they were heavy to lug downstairs.   I was thinking these better crush the smaller speakers by as much as they were crushing my back.   

How does one know if all 3 drivers are close to what they should be?   I thought if they were somewhat abused the tweeters would be the first to blow out.   The woofers cosmetically look perfect.  

Since my pair does not have any tubes in the holes I might just make two tubes from construction paper and stuff them in and give it a listen.

What amp are you using?

Right now using a new Outlaw Retro 2 channel.  Its like 130 watts per channel.  Same one that I'm using on the KG4s.   Its decent has good power.

What I have learned over the last 5 years is this not every speaker sounds good in every room. Your room and equipment make a huge contribution to how each speaker performs. Also what you hear may not be the same as what someone else does. I used to think what I just said was BS believe me it's not.

Apologies as I didn't read the full thread. Have you pulled the drivers and made sure everything is hooked up? Reason I say this is I bought a set of speakers once and was very disappointed in the sound. I ordered a new set of xovers since these were 20 years old. Popped the new xovers in sounded a lirttle better but still not great pulled the drivers and the damn midrange wiring was just barely connected sound was going in and out. Put new connectors on and presto there was the sound I was expecting! Always check everything over when you buy used gear because things can happen between where you buy them and where you place em. Just my .02.

Tune those Chorus up you have a fine speaker!

Edited by rockhound
  • Like 3

What I have learned over the last 5 years is this not every speaker sounds good in every room. Your room and equipment make a huge contribution to how each speaker performs. Also what you hear may not be the same as what someone else does. I used to think what I just said was BS believe me it's not.

Apologies as I didn't read the full thread. Have you pulled the drivers and made sure everything is hooked up? Reason I say this is I bought a set of speakers once and was very disappointed in the sound. I ordered a new set of xovers since these were 20 years old. Popped the new xovers in sounded a lirttle better but still not great pulled the drivers and the damn midrange wiring was just barely connected sound was going in and out. Put new connectors on and presto there was the sound I was expecting! Always check everything over when you buy used gear because things can happen between where you buy them and where you place em. Just my .02.

Tune those Chorus up you have a fine speaker!

Don't get me wrong they do sound good, I have not looked at each speakers connections but I can hear sound from all 6 drivers.

The KG4s just seemed to image a little better and had better bass/midrange punch.   The Chorus are louder but the bass seems a bit thin.   

I'm going to port them, new tweets etc.   I did not A/B yet so they might sound better than the KG4s overall just with all that extra weight and size I wanted them to dominate them.   I thought it was me but my son was not saying much and we were both thinking the same thing.  They don't sound much better than the smaller easier to move/transport KG4s so why go big.

I will get them tuned up and let you know how they fare.

• Like 1

Yes, replacement parts are cheap, either re-cap the crossovers yourself or send them to Bob Crites, I believe he only charges around $100-$150 to recap and test them and turn around time is very fast. I'd order the titanium tweeters, they really do make a nice improvement and while you're at it buy the new mids as well. If nothing else you can feel good that everything is how its supposed to be and good for 20+ years. The Chorus is one of my favorite speakers but they can be a bear to work with if not in the right acoustic environment or driven with Chorus friendly gear. Bass response is there but can be hard to pull out of them, especially if room or listening position doesn't cooperate. I remember my first pair of Chorus II's, seemed like there was no bass at all. I had the speakers in both corners of the room but my seated position was in the middle of the room. When I got up and walked to the other side of the room behind my listening position the bass was overpowering, I couldn't believe it. I just happened to have my couch right in the center of a bass dead spot.

Fix em up you will be glad you did.....I love my Chorus II's ....I love the sound. I love the way they look. I love the way the woofers really kick at about 150 watts.

I HATE when I have to move them. Because of their massive size they are the focal point of the room.

G.E.M.

• Like 3

Ok, finally got some new speaker wire so I could A/B the KG4 vs The Chorus.

I put new Titanium tweets in the Chorus + new midrange from Crites.  But kept the crossovers stock for now.

Also put 7" paper ports in for a little deeper bass.

A/B using a NIN song with some heavy bass tracks.  

The Chorus have more midrange pop, louder fuller etc.

The KGs did not get toasted they sound great too just not as full or loud.  

The KGS still have a slight edge in imaging but overall the Chorus are just bigger, tighter when played loud etc.

So now the Chorus beat the KG4s by a good margin, especially playing it loud.

I'll do the crites cross overs and call it good.   I Probably can keep these things for a long time, they do sound nice.

Edited by BobK
  • Like 4

Hey BobK....

I see your using a Outlaw amp for power. You say it's a 130 watts.... Yea that power will work for sure and I'm sure both speakers sound good...

But I gotta say this....those Chorus are laughing at a 130 watts....oh I'm sure there jammin...but imho those speakers come alive at over 200 watts.....

I figure it like this.... if your pushing 65 watts with your Outlaw...that amp is at 50% it's output.....if your pushing a continuous 100 watts that amp is close to exhusting it's headroom..... Those chorus are rated at a continuous 100 watts....and a 1000 watts peak....

I'm telling ya man get a bigger amp and you will hear and "feel" what those Chorus are able to do....and not just the "loudness" ....it's the feel of those 15" woofer's woofing.....and I am in the camp of....you need power to get those woofer's moving.....

And yea I'm gonna say it......again...... a big Carver TFM will get those Chorus Pumping...like few amps can.....and as Bob Carver says "you can never have to much power"

Hey that's my 2cents.... imho......

Good luck and have fun with your gear.....

MKP :-)

• Like 4

You didn't really expect the KG4's to even come close to the choruses, considering all of the changes that you have made to the chorus, now did you? That's not even a fair fight.

No I expected the Chorus speakers to blow away the KG4s.  But initially when we played them we did not get a WOW these 90 pound speakers blow away the much smaller and easier to carry KG4s.    So I was disappointed to the point of thinking i'm going to sell these things.   To me if they are going to be a pain in the rear to move and back breakers they better perform.

I am guessing the old midrange or tweeters might have been in bad shape.   With the new tweeters and midrange along with port tuning gave them a much better sound.  

So If you get an old set of speakers you never know if they are performing as good as when they were new.  This upgrade on the chorus made more of a difference than it did on my KG4s now they sound more like a $4,000 speaker.

Edited by BobK
  • Like 1

Hey BobK....

I see your using a Outlaw amp for power. You say it's a 130 watts.... Yea that power will work for sure and I'm sure both speakers sound good...

But I gotta say this....those Chorus are laughing at a 130 watts....oh I'm sure there jammin...but imho those speakers come alive at over 200 watts.....

I figure it like this.... if your pushing 65 watts with your Outlaw...that amp is at 50% it's output.....if your pushing a continuous 100 watts that amp is close to exhusting it's headroom..... Those chorus are rated at a continuous 100 watts....and a 1000 watts peak....

I'm telling ya man get a bigger amp and you will hear and "feel" what those Chorus are able to do....and not just the "loudness" ....it's the feel of those 15" woofer's woofing.....and I am in the camp of....you need power to get those woofer's moving.....

And yea I'm gonna say it......again...... a big Carver TFM will get those Chorus Pumping...like few amps can.....and as Bob Carver says "you can never have to much power"

Hey that's my 2cents.... imho......

Good luck and have fun with your gear.....

MKP :-)

Yes I can tell the chorus can handle more power than what I have.   In general 100 watts is plenty for most speakers I have but most of them are smaller speakers where you don't get much more output with power.  

I can tell the chorus can eat more power if I had it.   And these things will get loud and clear, they are a good combination of clarity and loudness.    I have smaller monitors Kefs that are very accurate smooth but they do not have that visceral sound when played louder, the output sort of hits a wall on them.   But those are only 88DB efficiency.

They guy that sold them to me had them on a 300+ watt output old Carver amp.   They did get louder but his amp had some serious hum issues so the outlaw with less power easily bested that amp.

• Like 2

I'm confused by the "construction paper", "tubes" and "ports" talk.  Do you mean to say that you are stuffing paper into the bass reflex ports on your Choruses?  Can you explain what the goal of that is?

Port tubes are confusing.   The chorus is a bass reflex speaker with twin 4 inch port holes on the bottom front of the speaker.   The port holes are only the thickness of the wood.    I think if you do the math that sized hole with push out additional bass sound at like 66hz or something like that.    

The longer the port tube the lower the frequency of the sound that comes from the ports.   7" is around 38hz.   The main drive plays down to 45hz or so.    So you get a 38hz +- 4hz or so bump combined with main drivers output.

There is no free lunch though, there are downsides to making port tubes too long.   I think anywhere from 2" to 7" is the safe range on this particular speaker/box.   Some people have said (I don't know where they get this information from) that Klipsch made the port tubes too short on purpose. 

I called a speaker company and gave them the thiel specs on the woofer and box size and he calculated that 3" or just covering on port hole would be about right.  

In another post a fellow with my speakers used 7" tubes and played four low bass notes before and after.

Before port tube - Notes A and B =,  Note C was very low, Note D could not be heard at all

After 7" port tubes - Note C was the same as A and B and note D could be heard but was lower than AB or C.

So they do work.

I took poster papaer (its just thick construction paper) and cut it to 7" and rolled it to the right size and while it was in the port I expanded the roll so it was tight.   Then I just taped the edges so it would stay in the tube shape.   It works fine and looks fine (red ports red paper)   I can get regular plastic port tubes but they will sound about the same.

Edited by BobK