I have finally got Klipsch

huang

Well after many years of someday... I finally bought my first pair of Klipsch speakers, a pair of walnut Heresy III's. Over the years I have lusted after my own pair. I remember when I was a kid in the 70's reading an article where the writer was miking things around his house (I don't remember the reason), he got distracted and inadvertently left things set up. He had a Klipsch horn as part of the setup, and someone came to visit. When his mike picked up the car door closing, he was astonished and went on to write a great deal how it sounded EXACTLY like a car door closing. That description of the faithful representation of the sound is what started my interest.

Later in life mid to late 80's I was in the Navy and the BX had some pretty high end stuff LaScalla's included, a friend of mine had the money and got a pair, I loved those speakers. I often quote him "If you want to dissipate power, buy a toaster, if you want to hear music, buy Klipsch". Well the Polks I could afford during that period finally gave up the ghost so I replaced them with the Heresy's and a REL T9. They are breaking in as we speak.

These are for the living room system. I have to say they sound good. The size has not put the wife off too much I originally thought LaScalla but with the space constraints the Heresy's made more sense. I have to admit the look on her face would have been priceless! They are being driven by a Pioneer receiver (for now) and I'm looking for a nice tube something to put in front them. My main system consists of BAT VK-5SE pre, and VK 60 amp Dunlavy towers, but these sound nice, and affords the opportunity to play music softly and sound good. Thanks for being here and i hope to contribute soon.

Ric

• Like 4

Welcome to the community.  H3's plus a sub is a really tough combination to beat IMHO.  I've had a similar setup in my family room for the last 3 years with the same wife-constraints as you (for the last 18 years....)  I fiddled around with speaker positioning, EQ, and subwoofer integration for a few months, and now I have them dialed in pretty well.  If you have any questions, just ask.  Enjoy.

Heresy 3s ..... good choice. I got a pair of 1s and 2s hard to beat them for price and size. I have even ran them with a battery powered boom box during ice storm..lol. Only sound on the whole street at the time... every body walking buy looked over in amazement. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the kind words, and caution (rabbit hole).

Grizzog do you have a DAC suggestion. Part of the impetus to set this system up was, the fact we are close to having the technology to stream video and audio with good quality and at reasonable cost. Ultimately I want a small preamp, amp, projector and screen on the wall, all unobtrusive. So I have been looking at DACs. If you have any suggestions for a DAC with balanced outputs I'm looking for something for the reference system too.

Ric

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but I have used both Schiit DAC's and currently have an Emotiva XDA-2 I. I prefer the Emotiva due to this ability to also function as a pre-amp, and it's ability to by-pass source encryption. The XDA-2 is also pretty affordable, with used units going between $150 and $200.

• Like 1