Danley Style Synergy Horn for LF Only

ClaudeJ1

Being motivated by fellow Klipschead and 2-way Jube owner with TAD-4002 drivers,  Chris A, I"m starting a new thread to share thoughts about a DIY project I want to do this year.

I could easily build a down firing version of my Quarter Pie horn, but I'd rather try another direction. While working on this new "borrowed" horn idea from Tom Danley, I will, more than likely do a quick "H" build of an Open Baffle bass system using twin Eminence Alpha 15's per channel so I can listen while working on this downstairs. I already have a pair with a Single Alpha each that I can Bi-amp, so we shall see which thread gets fed with pictures and measurements first.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with either of these approaches, as would many other Klipscheads, I'm sure. Happy New Year 2016!

• Like 1

My thoughts are to use either 4 twelves, or two 15's. The goal would be to get down to 30-60 Hz. but the response should reach from at least 500-600 Hz. if possible to mate with a TAD 4002 driver in a 90x60 pattern. Polar response is as important as frequency response in accordance with PWK and Roy Delgado.

I may have to add some 8's or 10's within the horn to get there, but that remains to be seen and measured.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

either of these approaches

Not 100% sure what two approaches you mean?

Re: H-frame woofers

I use rear speaker which use H frame woofers.  2x 10" per side.    -6dB point is 30Hz for peak output ~ 105dB.

You will need to make the H quite shallow to reach up to 500-600Hz without frequency response issues  (I have my low pass filter at 100Hz)  ... and this may reduce efficiency in the lowest octaves.

DSP, eg. miniDSP, strongly recommended for the driver equalization.

Will this have any Klipsch parts in it?

There will be 3 different things going on. I got some H cabs from a friend with Eminence Alpha 15's in them. I plan on adding a Alpha 8 and an original AMT tweeter for full Dipole sound which is VERY 3D.

Also can use just the woofer section while playing with K402's using my new to me TAD 4002's.

I want to replicate the K402 in wood, then I will perhaps do what Chris A is doing with twin 15's, which is the closest approach to Danley SH 50's.

BUT the easiest thing for me to play with is a large mouth, scaled up SH-50 for bass only using twin 15's.

Now that I have seen Chris A's stuff I may change my mind and just do wooden K402's and not do the bass only unit underneath. It would be more efficient, time wise that way. The trail has already been blazed!

either of these approaches

Not 100% sure what two approaches you mean?

Re: H-frame woofers

I use rear speaker which use H frame woofers.  2x 10" per side.    -6dB point is 30Hz for peak output ~ 105dB.

You will need to make the H quite shallow to reach up to 500-600Hz without frequency response issues  (I have my low pass filter at 100Hz)  ... and this may reduce efficiency in the lowest octaves.

DSP, eg. miniDSP, strongly recommended for the driver equalization.

Agreed. So much easier.