A K-402-Based Full-Range Multiple-Entry Horn

Chris A

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 8:47 PM, DizRotus said:

This is very interesting.  I look forward to seeing more progress.  Thanks.

Progress with measurements and listening vs. my Quarter Pie Horns in the bass vs. JBL Mid/High horn with EV drivers!

• 5 weeks later...

Progress :emotion-21:;)

We have three days of warm weather upon us with 70-76 F (21-24 C) with another few days following in the 50s F (10+ C). I've been waiting for this.

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Three MEHs across the front.  Rationale:

1) improved midbass performance (as discussed above),

2) more cohesive overall sound (point source),

3) ability to move the horn mouths lower to be in-line with the center

4) much smaller...about 1/3 size--the size of La Scala IIs.

All these points are as compared to Jubs.  If everything goes off as planned, a longer term goal is make two more for surrounds.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

All these points are as compared to Jubs.  If everything goes off as planned, a longer term goal is make two more for surrounds.

Benefits are well understood since having 6 MEH horns, as you call them, for over 2 1/2 years in my HT.

What I meant was, will they look exactly like your center, using 402's, or will they look more like what Ron Ellis is building?

ellisr63, Your MDF horn project looks interesting, as well as your entire home theater project thread. When I graduate up to having Multiple Entry Horns at home, they will be based on the K-402 horn because Chris has produced an excellent design. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of three MEH's across the front of his room.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got the one horn we have completed home on Sunday, and finished painting it today. I will have to get some muscle help to assist me in getting this into the Home Theater. It will be a while before I can set the crossover up, as I don't have my amp built yet.20170226_154437-1.jpg20170226_154459-2.jpg20170226_154537.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ellisr63 said:

I will have to get some muscle help to assist me in getting this into the Home Theater. It will be a while before I can set the crossover up, as I don't have my amp built yet.

How does the treble driver mount? Also, are the woofers 8 or 4 ohms, which model woofers?

The woofers are 4 ohm Kappa C. The dh1a drivers are mounted to a removable piece of mdf which if you look from the rear you will see an area that has no mdf...that is where the horn fits.a8667266bf4c826982d1317f683c08d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ellisr63 said:

The woofers are 4 ohm Kappa C. The dh1a drivers are mounted to a removable piece of mdf which if you look from the rear you will see an area that has no mdf...that is where the horn fits.

Gotcha, now I see. So the woofers are in series, right?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The K-401 horn has ribs to stiffen the sides. Is the smooth K-402 rigid enough for the added vibrations when used full range?

As a horn expands from high pressure/low velocity and goes to low pressure/high velocity, you need less bracing to do the job near the mouth. I imagine the reason they went to such radical ribbing it they wanted to replace the K-400, which was a very thick CAST aluminum, so they may have overkilled the design a little, but throwing all the exra plastic in the mold was certainly economical enough for production. I remember a comment from on the Klipsch factory guys about that. He still thought it was a step down from the original K-400, but that was just another opinion.

The K-402 is well braced at the mouth because of the full 90 degree turn. Like if you take a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to 3" width. You can easily bend it one way but not the other.

• Like 1