A K-402-Based Full-Range Multiple-Entry Horn

Chris A

On 7/9/2020 at 10:00 PM, Negatron said:

Today I got my center channel cabinet.

Can you post a pic of the cabinet from the front? Or a 45 degree shot?

Many thanks!

Bruce

• Like 1

That is one interesting looking cabinet, unusual. I like it. So, are the two woofers still mounted in the sides of K402? Looking at the photo it seems like a very tight space.

The woofers are mounted on the same sides as the original from Chris, but the horn is installed vertically so the woofers are top and bottom instead of side to side. This does change my dispersion degrees. I played them last night with the same settings as the no cabinet version, and it is an entirely different sounding beast now. As soon as my new amp is done I will contact Chris so we can tune this properly. 

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can you post a pic of the cabinet from the front? Or a 45 degree shot?

Many thanks!

Bruce

My phone broke yesterday...best I can do is this from my tablet.

3319f9bba4fae8520478e6508c5ef05c.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks... I know you had mentioned going vertical with this. Was that to keep more height without needing a stand?
Yes and no...by going vertical it takes less floor space, and I liked the design look of a $60k pair of speakers...so I integrated the protuding horn and triangular cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I suppose the sound dispersion will be ok if this will be used as center channel in home theater.
Curious about using two of these for stereo. 
I should have 2 more cabinets made by sometime in August....they would be done sooner, but my cell phone just died and I had to divert cash.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 6:38 AM, Negatron said:

The woofers are mounted on the same sides as the original from Chris, but the horn is installed vertically so the woofers are top and bottom instead of side to side. This does change my dispersion degrees. I played them last night with the same settings as the no cabinet version, and it is an entirely different sounding beast now. As soon as my new amp is done I will contact Chris so we can tune this properly. 

Looking good Ron!  No doubt it sounds entirely different than the no cabinet version with the back waves of the woofers enclosed.  What did you do to absorb that back wave?  Line the cabinet with something?

As far as your partner not liking the large protruding black horn, how about an automotive finish in her favorite color?  Might be easier than trying to get a complementary faux veneer never mind a matching one.

• Like 1

I am thinking of

1: adding a 2nd layer of MDF which will make the cabinet 1 1/2" thick

2: adding 2 layers of dynamat type material

3: 1 layer of Roxul R60... if it will fit

I am lookijg at the material they use for acoustic panels and print on...of it is transparent enough... I can take a picture of a sheet of veneer, and then photo chop it to the proper size, and then have them printed.

What I decided to do was just use the Dynamat style stuff (the stuff I got has zero odor), and some 150mil on top of it. I put 2 layers of the Dynamat style stuff on the sides, bottom, woofer pads, and horn sides (36sqft) with the 150mil stuff on top of all of it. I also used the 150mil on the removable rear panel to seal the cabinet.

Should I use some wool or something inside the cabinet now too?

Those speakers look great.

I am concerned about your unsupported mouth, though.  

Low frequencies will distort the mouth,  I certainly do not know if this will be detrimental to what you hear. 

Did you do anything different with your ports?  What did you do to insure there is no leakage between your baffle and K-402?  Getting to that point and would appreciate hearing what you did.

If you have already said, forgive me, but I have not read which drivers you decided to use.

I am skeptical about photographic wood, especially considering your (very fine) execution.  After seeing so much of that stuff used in automobile interiors - I was never convinced.

I am wondering if after you go to this trouble she might wish she had never made the request!  I do think it would be a shame if you had to do that.

Maybe a light sanding with fine sandpaper or a SCOTHBRITE pad to get a dull finish but with some character from the scratches and then use a wax to get just the amount of sheen you would want.  I would think you could get a nice dull sheen that could look good.  I have seen bespoke furniture fellows use plastics in this way and it can look really good.

Romy Bessnow has long speculated that a slightly rough finish on a horn could be advantageous.  How to do such a thing with any consistency is the trick.  Fun thing to wonder about until the music you are listening to takes you away from those thoughts ...

Mine will remain as shipped other than having holes in them.

Those speakers look great.   I am concerned about your unsupported mouth, though.  

Low frequencies will distort the mouth,  I certainly do not know if this will be detrimental to what you hear. 

Did you do anything different with your ports?  What did you do to insure there is no leakage between your baffle and K-402?  Getting to that point and would appreciate hearing what you did.

If you have already said, forgive me, but I have not read which drivers you decided to use.

I am skeptical about photographic wood, especially considering your (very fine) execution.  After seeing so much of that stuff used in automobile interiors - I was never convinced.

I am wondering if after you go to this trouble she might wish she had never made the request!  I do think it would be a shame if you had to do that.

Maybe a light sanding with fine sandpaper or a SCOTHBRITE pad to get a dull finish but with some character from the scratches and then use a wax to get just the amount of sheen you would want.  I would think you could get a nice dull sheen that could look good.  I have seen bespoke furniture fellows use plastics in this way and it can look really good.

Romy Bessnow has long speculated that a slightly rough finish on a horn could be advantageous.  How to do such a thing with any consistency is the trick.  Fun thing to wonder about until the music you are listening to takes you away from those thoughts ...

Mine will remain as shipped other than having holes in them.

The horn mouth is not really unsupported...the woofer pads are attachrd to the front baffle and also the horn it self. The front baffle is 1 1/2" thick, and is beveled on all four sides where it connects to the horn (it is under pressure when the screws are installed. I did this by laying the horn face down, and then laying the cabinet in place. By doing this there is a good amount of weight on it when the screws are installed) It is rock solid. The woofer pads are sealed to the horn ports with silicone adheasive and it sticks like glue... I have to use a putty knife to seperate them. As far as a faux finish on the horn...I am going to try and make a woodgrain grill for it. I found a place that has acoustically transparent material and will print whatever you want on it... I am going to see if I can get a goid pic of a sheet of veneer, and then photochop it onto the horn pic. I will try and match the image. Also the cabinet is one piece eccept for the rear panel now. Today I installed some dynamat type matetial and it providrs additional sealing...I assume.

12 minutes ago, Negatron said:

.I am going to try and make a woodgrain grill for it. I found a place that has acoustically transparent material and will print whatever you want on it...

Is this in Mexico? Very interested in your results with this.

Is this in Mexico? Very interested in your results with this.
I am in Mexico, but the place that prints on their material is in the USA.

I am also interested regarding the drivers you use in these, and what impedance in the drivers.

Who are you asking...if it is me use EV DH1As... I think they are 6 or 8 ohm.