The Klipsch Audio Community
Chris A

A K-402-Based Full-Range Multiple-Entry Horn

How do I know if I need to use any stuffing, and or pyramid foam (for reflections) with my cabinet? My external dimensions are 25" wide (front), 17" deep with it being 13" wide in the rear, and 47" high. I am using 2 Emminence 15" Kappa C woofers with the EV DH1A compression driver (which is huge). The cabinet is 3/4" thick except for the front baffle which is 1 1/2" thick.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have not seen any reasonable tutorials for that other than "try and hear" method.

• Like 1

My walls are also 3/4 inches thick so they will get excited by the woofers.

From what I have read DYNAMAT is very effective but really expensive and tuned for use with sheet metal so it seems that multiple layers wold be required for plywood.

I had read someone saying that the recycled tire rubber floor matting you see in gyms would make a good damper.  I have some of it here so I will try this first.  It is about 3/8 inch in thickness and is very heavy as if I want to add more weight to the cabinet.

Since my baffles are like sails in the wind I am attaching thick wool felt.  Again to placate me wondering if I shouldn't have done it if I don't.

For stuffing I am going to use the long fiber wool that has been used in all of my speakers for thirty years when I thought the transmission line was the answer.  There is no question (in my mind, at least) it is the best compromise stuffing.  I will not STUFF the cabinet.  I agree with Chris A that the back volume is not critical along with what is done with the volume; assuming that because of the small entry ports the reflected sounds we attempt to guard against with conventional speakers simply do not find their way into the output to any significant degree.  Speaking conceptually since I have no real idea.  

With a combination of some kind of heavy damper followed by THICK soft felt would probably be ideal taking care of wall damping and absorption without the use of stuffing but that much wool felt will cost lots of money so I am going to hope the wool, by itself, is plenty.

Luckily there are many ways to skin the cat and still have the skinned cat you always wanted.

RYTHMIK boxes assembled and attaching glue blocks for the 402 cabinets with the hope of having them assembled middle of next week. 

• Like 1

My walls are also 3/4 inches thick so they will get excited by the woofers.   From what I have read DYNAMAT is very effective but really expensive and tuned for use with sheet metal so it seems that multiple layers wold be required for plywood.  

I had read someone saying that the recycled tire rubber floor matting you see in gyms would make a good damper.  I have some of it here so I will try this first.  It is about 3/8 inch in thickness and is very heavy as if I want to add more weight to the cabinet.

Since my baffles are like sails in the wind I am attaching thick wool felt.  Again to placate me wondering if I shouldn't have done it if I don't.

For stuffing I am going to use the long fiber wool that has been used in all of my speakers for thirty years when I thought the transmission line was the answer.  There is no question (in my mind, at least) it is the best compromise stuffing.  I will not STUFF the cabinet.  I agree with Chris A that the back volume is not critical along with what is done with the volume; assuming that because of the small entry ports the reflected sounds we attempt to guard against with conventional speakers simply do not find their way into the output to any significant degree.  Speaking conceptually since I have no real idea.  

With a combination of some kind of heavy damper followed by THICK soft felt would probably be ideal taking care of wall damping and absorption without the use of stuffing but that much wool felt will cost lots of money so I am going to hope the wool, by itself, is plenty.

Luckily there are many ways to skin the cat and still have the skinned cat you always wanted.

RYTHMIK boxes assembled and attaching glue blocks for the 402 cabinets with the hope of having them assembled middle of next week. 

The stuff I got was from Amazon, and it cost me about $120 to do 2 layers of each type for the full cabinet..  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUIKAK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cwfhFbT5NXHX9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKXMPH7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qxfhFb33DCFAB

I hear you on the weight... I think mine are around 200+ lbs each.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I figured yours would be of similar weight.  Having a removable back makes the box much easier to deal with.  

That material is similar to what I applied to the horn.  It made a dig difference there and I only used a little bit since it was an experiment. 

So you really hear less resonance with this on the walls of your box?  Sure would make things easy in comparison to any other method I can think of.

Have one box assembled and get to see how everything fits inside today.  I had to make my boxes wider for the woofers to fit.  I think I will have to do some manipulation to get the assembly though the hole in the box.  I think the magnets are going to be closer to the walls than I had thought.  This will make it easier to use them as a brace but tricky to get in the box.

• Like 1

I figured yours would be of similar weight.  Having a removable back makes the box much easier to deal with.  

That material is similar to what I applied to the horn.  It made a dig difference there and I only used a little bit since it was an experiment. 

So you really hear less resonance with this on the walls of your box?  Sure would make things easy in comparison to any other method I can think of.

Have one box assembled and get to see how everything fits inside today.  I had to make my boxes wider for the woofers to fit.  I think I will have to do some manipulation to get the assembly though the hole in the box.  I think the magnets are going to be closer to the walls than I had thought.  This will make it easier to use them as a brace but tricky to get in the box.
The carpenter missunderstood me, and that is why I ended up with a one piece cabinet. I think the way he did it was easier for applying the veneer though. I have not used any measuring equipment yet. I hope to have my new amp done soon so I can get Chris to tune ot for me. I think the bass I have with a cabinet is more than I have with the left and right without a cabinet. I will most likely have him do it the same way for the others,but I will have the rear panel access supports a little narrower so I can get the woofers inside easier.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk