WANTED: Klipsch under $500 (LA / SoCal)

Duchampagne

I have never owned Klipsch, but am excited to get into the game!  I have a Fisher 400 tube amp so will be using these for 2 channel music but also watching movies.

I am looking on Craigslist but wanted to try the Klipsch forum additionally for perhaps find something someone had been thinking of selling but hadn't the inspiration to do so yet...

• Like 1

Depending on what you use them for KG 5.5s are some of the best speakers you can get for under $500. What type of music do you usually listen to? I found the KG 5.5 to be better for hip hop and electronic music with heavy bass while the fortes and Heresy's are more balanced for jazz, classical etc.

Here are some KG 5.5's for $300 that look good too:

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/ele/5370679903.html

Bob Crites has new titanium tweeter diaphragms for $55 and they take about 15 min to install and are a significant upgrade.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

• Like 1

I've owned both (KG 5.5 and Forte II), and the Forte II's just seem to work with everything.  The midrange presentation is outstanding -- between the two there's no comparison.  And the Forte's bass response is significant, with the 12's and rear passive 15's.  You will not regret springing for the Forte II's!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your feedback!

My room is actually quite large as it is a loft.  10'w x 20' deep.  Sofa is 10' from the speakers.  Ceiling is 18' high.

Another factor is I have to limit the speakers to a maximum height of 26".  So that narrows it down to Heresy, KG4, or KG 3.2.

My last option would be to explore newer Klipsch bookshelf speakers and pair with a used powered subwoofer.  Does anyone have any experience with new Klipsch speakers?  Are they any good?  SB-2 or RB-61 are both available in the $200 range.

thanks!

I prefer 2 channel listening as opposed to 2.1 .  I have heard some of the new Klipsch bookshelf speakers. The RB-61's sound good. The SB-2 not nearly as good in my opinion. Either pair would require a subwoofer if you want any real bass in your music. You can easily get away without having to use a subwoofer with either the KG4's, KG3's or KG3.2's. 

Hope this helps.

Just sold a pair of KG4's with new capacitors that I installed about 3 months to ago Duchampagne. A good choice for the tube amp he will be using.   

Duchampagne, please keep us updated as to how you like them and how well they pair with the Fisher 400 Tube amp.
  • Like 1