Klipsch RF-10s

NickKlipsch

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of RF-10 floor standing speakers for $200. Seller says they are in excellent condition. Since this is an old and discontinued product, I couldnt find any reliable reviews. Do you think a pair of these for $200 would be a steal? Considering they were going for about $300 a piece in their prime. Let me know what you think. I plan to slowly build a complete Klipsch system and hoping to start with these until I can afford to upgrade in a few years. Any advice would be great, I just need a response from someone by Wednesday. Thanks!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vyu2IBUeAjE/p_714RF10B/Klipsch-Reference-Series-RF-10.html#

Personally, I believe the seller is asking too much. The RF-10's were not anything special and left a lot to be desired for. Many actually refer to them as the biggest bust speaker that Klipsch ever produced. The RF-42's on the other hand...well, that'd be a lot different. They fixed a lot of the imperfections in that series, but the 10 remains...for lack of a better term...an extremely wimpy speaker.

The RF-10s don't go low very low in the bass.  If finances are not a critical issue for you, a much better value can be had with these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886200004

Their efficiency allows them to be driven with very low power, and they are capable of delivering excellent sound quality.  In addition, you will have the full factory warranty which you wouldn't have with the RF-10s (and as far as I know, replacement drivers are no longer available for them either).

Maynard

• Like 1

For $200.00, you'd be able to get a pair of RF-25's, which are a better speaker.  JMO, but I'd look for at least a 6.5 inch driver as a starting point to build around, down the line when you move up, you can use them as surrounds.

The speakers Maynard is recommending are a decent entry level speaker. I have their big brother, the KF-28's. I also have the RF-25's and depending on where you are, they can be had for less than $200.00.There's actually a pair near me for $150.00.

If you aren't worried about the warranty or buying new, you can also get the KF-28's for about the same price as the KF-26's and have the bigger 8" driver instead of the smaller one. They are also decent speakers. And is there's an issue depending on where you got them,Klipsch may or may not honor the warranty. I know they sent me new feet for both for free.

Your room size as well as what they are going to be used for mostly may also help in other recommendations,as well as a budget.

The RF-10s don't go low very low in the bass.  If finances are not a critical issue for you, a much better value can be had with these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886200004

Their efficiency allows them to be driven with very low power, and they are capable of delivering excellent sound quality.  In addition, you will have the full factory warranty which you wouldn't have with the RF-10s (and as far as I know, replacement drivers are no longer available for them either).

Maynard

This is a great ideal and not a lot more money.