Universal Disc Player recommendation please

vandec54

Its been forever since I thought about buying a disc player.  Please suggest a nice one.  

I could spend $400-500ish but for that much you would really need to "sell" me on why I should want it.

I do not plan on upgrading my TV to a 4k until my current model stops working.

As always any and all help is appreciated.  Thank you

Edited by vandec54

Well, from what I've seen the Oppo BDP-103 could be had at that price point which would be the cream of the crop - as far as I personally believe. There are some Marantz players out there though that hold their own that range from $299.99 on up. From what I know about the Marantz, their specialty is in their playback of DSD Audio and SACD's, where the Oppo excels with BD's.

Depends what your preference for usage would be IMO. If you're going to listen to more music, probably the Marantz, if you're going to do both music and movies, probably the Oppo, and still the Oppo if you're going to do more movies.

The Oppo should be available between $350 and $450.

On paper though, the Oppo will outperform the Marantz:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=BluRayDVD&SubCatId=0&ProductId=UD5007

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Features.aspx

Edited by IbizaFlame

If movies are your thing, go the 103D. I don't think you'll be disappointed. After I got my 103 from Jim, one of my professors down in St. Louis picked up a 103D for himself. He absolutely loves it for both movies and music. Says the video is phenomenal.

I asked a fairly similar questions awhile back and did a ton of research as well.   If 4K wasn't just around the corner for BDP I'd gone with the 103D.  Since I'm wanting to go 4K TV (and BDP when they are out and somewhat reasonably price), I bought the Sony BDPS6500 with 4K Upscaling for a total of $78 shipped off Amazon.  Looks a bit sharper than my PS3 on a Samsung 1080 set and seems to play everything quickly and in ATMOS decoding that I have in the collection or Netflix both new and old.  I like that I can completely turn off internet content and get right to the movie menu.

Edited by 007nco

I like the 103D too.  I was pleasantly surprised when I started using some of the other features as well.  Roku stick in the MHL port in front and that you can use it as a video input source and single output.   Many, many features.

There are a ton of posts on here, I don't think anyone has been disappointed that they purchased it.

I had a Sony BPD-something before and this is much faster turning on, opening, and loading.

If you are not doing SACD's do you really need a universal disc player. A good 3D BDP will do the job. The 3D BDP have more processing power and do great with music and movies. This has been my experience with some of the top Samsung models.

Agreed. This is why I sold my 103 and just bought a good BDP. Without using the SACD, the 103 was overkill. Plus picture wise a good BDP is not much different than the 103.

If a person was never going to play DVD-Audio I wouldn't worry about a Universal player unless you weren't going to be able to use the HDMI connections. I purchased the Sony BDP S5100 for $120  to play my SACDs and the ability to play Bluray was a plus. I am in the process of exploring Foobar2000 when my Denon DVD-3910 stops playing DVD-A because the sony only plays SACDs (and was bought when the former no longer read SACD's).

Seriously, is there a reason to purchase the OPPO only for Blurays if one were to use the HDMI connection?

• Like 1

Oppo has turned into the Yeti of blu ray players.  Kind of a status symbol more than anything.  For typical use there's other stuff that costs half as much that will do the same thing.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, the Oppo is great but my answer to your question Zen is "no". That's exactly what I was doing and for the price difference it just wasn't worth it.

I guess that was the point I wanted to confirm.

Oppo has turned into the Yeti of blu ray players.  Kind of a status symbol more than anything.  For typical use there's other stuff that costs half as much that will do the same thing.  

The only reason I would want a true universal player is to also play DVD-Audio which there doesn't seem to be any moderately priced players available...Otoh, the Sony I purchased plays SACDs flawlessly (but not DVD-As). :)

Edited by Zen Traveler