Older Crown

The Dude

I have a d45 which sounds pretty good. I was wondering what some thought of the d150, series one and two. I have read fears that the dc coupled amps will blow speakers. What are all your thoughts. Sound, safety, worth it, can the be modified for better?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think you meant to say I could use a rocker.  :P  Yes it's true  :)

It get's to roughly 95=100 db with the little Crowns, part of the problem is the difference from pro electronics to home stuff, they don't match so well so you loose a little. (from what I have been told)  :mellow:

Edited by dtel

Never heard the d150.  It is because I've been told on more than I occasion that it sounds terrible.  The d45 and d75a are wonderful.  I have both.

I heard a funny comment one time here on the forum.  "You shouldn't attempt to sell your Crown d150.  In fact, you shouldn't give it away either."

Edited by jwc
  • Like 2

Never heard the d150.  It is because I've been told on more than I occasion that it sounds terrible.  The d45 and d75a are wonderful.  I have both.

I heard a funny comment one time here on the forum.  "You shouldn't attempt to sell your Crown d150.  In fact, you shouldn't give it away either."

"Old and cold" "Don't give it away. Throw it away"

• Like 1

It get's to roughly 95=100 db with the little Crowns, part of the problem is the difference from pro electronics to home stuff, they don't match so well so you loose a little. (from what I have been told)

Have you tried an Art Cleanbox?  I've got a spare I can bring to Hope.  You can try it and just mail it back to me.  If it works, buy one, they're not very expensive.  If it doesn't, you're just out a small amount of postage.

• Like 1

To be honest, I am looking for something with looks, power and low price that can easily be repaired if need be. I guess if that existed then there would be only one amp.  I love my McIntosh MC2505, but unfortunately I don't have the funds to purchase two more.  Sadly  I could sell it to almost purchase two or three other brand of  amps. 

I know Crown sounds good with horns, but like Dtel said, I could use a little more power(not that I really need it). The D45 is more than enough for my EV horns, at half volume its plenty loud.  Maybe the D75 would be worth a try.  Maybe I will drop a few bucks on a ps-200 and see how it sounds.  Lots of maybes, to many amps, not enough time or money.

• Moderators

I tried the D75's after JWC told me about them, they are really quiet and tough. The two I have a are pretty old I guess and the only problem I have is a little thump when I turn them off.......so i leave them on since they draw very little at idle.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It get's to roughly 95=100 db with the little Crowns, part of the problem is the difference from pro electronics to home stuff, they don't match so well so you loose a little. (from what I have been told)

Have you tried an Art Cleanbox?  I've got a spare I can bring to Hope.  You can try it and just mail it back to me.  If it works, buy one, they're not very expensive.  If it doesn't, you're just out a small amount of postage.

No I don't know what that is and if it will fit into what I am using ?

I have a DAC into a EV DX38 and out to the 2 D-75's.

I need to look up what the Art Cleanbox is, I remember hearing the name but have no idea what it does, but thanks for the offer, I wish it would work. I don't really need anymore volume but it wouldn't hurt on occasion either, and may sound better ?

It converts a signal from pro level components to work with home audio components. It has XLR or RCA inputs and outputs. You put it in the signal path between your pre-amp and amp. In your case I'd put it in between the EV and the Crowns.

Would you typically put this in between a home pre and the pro cross over or power amps.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Would you typically put this in between a home pre and the pro cross over or power amps.

Yes.  Dtel said he was having problems between the home and pro gear which this is made to correct.  If I recall, he goes from a laptop to an electronic crossover and then to his amps.

• Moderators

Yes but it may have to go between the DAC and DX 38, this is where the different voltages are. Between the  DX and Crowns amps it is 4 channels, the DX, being the crossover separates each channel into to 2 for a 2 way speaker.

The DAC has a volume control so it's used as a pre-amp and is not pro, the DX is pro so I would imagine this is where the voltages differences are.

YES I would like to try it, if it's an extra you have i would be happy to buy it from you to try, at $65 it would sure be worth a try. I like the DAC as a pre amp but even if I were to switch later to a real pre amp it would still have the same difference in voltage, same problem.

From that site, this is just what I need

."One section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of consumer-level unbalanced input signals into two channels of pro line-level balanced output signals. It has two RCA jack inputs and a stereo mini-phone jack input connected in parallel. The balanced output feeds two XLR male jacks. 

• Moderators
If I recall, he goes from a laptop to an electronic crossover and then to his amps.

That was when I was using the HTR as a preamp, now I use the DAC which has a volume knob (and remote) as a pre amp. This removed the HTR completely which made a giant improvement in sound from top to bottom, I will never go back to having a HTR anywhere inline of the 2 ch....and all that time I thought it sounded fine.  :mellow:

The DAC is connected to a BR player and smart Tv,both have apps for internet radio and you tube for music and this is what I am using now. I will probably go back to a laptop or Ipad or something similar eventually.

i would be happy to buy it from you to try, at $65

Mine is not for sale as I still use it from time to time.  I thought you might want to borrow it to try.  If it doesn't work, there's no need to buy one (just mail it back to me).  If it does, send me mine back and get a new one with warranty.

• Moderators

No, the DX 38 is between the DAC and amps.

It's 2 channels from the DAC into the Ev Dx38, it leaves the Dx as 4 channels, 2 left, 2 right. The DX is the speaker crossover separating different signals/crossover points for the 402 horn and bass bins. To put them after the Dx I would need 2 of them and I don't think that's where the problem is, it "should" be between the home DAC and pro DX.

OK i thought your was something you were not using anymore, no problem. Thanks for offering, if I don't just order one I may try that out. Thanks either way, I had no idea what the Cleanbox did, one of these days I need to pay attention when I read stuff. It sounds like just what I need cheaply and I had no idea.  :unsure:

Edited by dtel