Older Crown

The Dude

I just think a little more volume would be good and I don't even know why I feel this ? At 100 db with those bass bins things are vibrating in the house, almost everything, china cabinets especially go crazy. But for $67 I think I need to try it just to see. More must be better right ? :blink:

Always a little more volume...Nothing like loud and beautiful at the same time :) :) :)

Except in women  :D

I like it loud when Oh GOD comes into Play :D :D :D :D

• Like 1

I've got one of those XDA-1 DACs as well. Don't use it anymore. Did not like the fact that they controlled the volume digitally by truncating the number of bits. Can't remember if i ever put a scope on the XLR output.. and it really doesn't matter. The manual for it says nominal output is 1 Vrms but the XLR output is capable of 12Vrms! It should be able the drive the you know what out of the inputs of the DX38. And you have the input gain turned up to +6. Some part of this puzzle is missing.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes i did read about missing bits with lower volume on the DAC, i got around this by turning down the amps to about the 1 o'clock position and this keeps the DAC volume knob at 90-100% with normal listening which should lose little or no bits.

Now when I say it only get's to 95-100db that's with everything wide open, amps, DAC and DX completely wide open, every setting.

The input gain on the DX is always left wide open even if I have the amps turned down to get the DAC in the safe range for bits.

Could the signal from the blueray player be low causing the DAC to not put out what it should ? It's connected with an optical cable to the DAC.

It seems that the Crown K2 amplifiers were popular at one point and available in a variety of colors.  I remember a red one for sale awhile ago in the garage sale section a year or so ago.  Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?

_ Crown K2 amps.jpg

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Could the signal from the blueray player be low causing the DAC to not put out what it should ? It's connected with an optical cable to the DAC.

I don't think so..... unless I'm misunderstanding something its digital at that interface.

Thanks, I think I might try the Cleanbox just to see what happens. 

It seems that the Crown K2 amplifiers were popular at one point and available in a variety of colors. I remember a red one for sale awhile ago in the garage sale section a year or so ago. Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?

_ Crown K2 amps.jpg

I think this is another i see used quite a bit. Its a little pricey.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It seems that the Crown K2 amplifiers were popular at one point and available in a variety of colors. I remember a red one for sale awhile ago in the garage sale section a year or so ago. Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?

_ Crown K2 amps.jpg

Yes, more so that the lower watt Crowns, but it is a beast at the following wattage.  1,250 into 2 ohms. :emotion-21:

500 watts 8 ohms

800 watts 4 ohms

1,250 watts 2 ohms

Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?

Mine is still in favor with me.  Use them just about every day.  Had a hard time figuring out where to place it, wife did not want a shelf above the speaker to set it on....so I mounted a 2x6 to one side of it and stood it upright on it's side and set it behind the K402.  Working like a charm.  If they fall out of favor (cheaper) I'll buy another one or three.  Pardon the dust.

Edit:  I also lashed the top of the amp to the bracket on the 402 to minimize chances of it falling over

post-12967-0-88660000-1452952554_thumb.j

Edited by Coytee
  • Like 1

_ Crown K2 amps.jpg

Yes, more so that the lower watt Crowns, but it is a beast at the following wattage.  1,250 into 2 ohms. :emotion-21:

500 watts 8 ohms

800 watts 4 ohms

1,250 watts 2 ohms

These are still great, quiet, powerful amps. One design feature is that they don't draw air through for cooling, so they are great for outdoor stages. The old Biergarten where I worked is up to 5 of them now, I know a PA company that uses 8 with some other amps to power a EAW 730 line array rig.  Make certain to mount them in a SEALED enclosure where you're drawing lots of air through the slots between the housings to keep them cool if you're running them hard. I've seen guys make mistake of just putting them in open racks and that's not enough air. 

• Like 1

Seems to me the Cleanbox might not work then?

It's designed (as best I understand) to convert from singled ended RCA to XLR and/or XLR back to RCA.

If you are coming out of your DAC in the XLR format, you don't have to make the swap.

I wonder if your DAC is putting out a true XLR signal??  

You ARE XLR connectors through & through, correct?

bummer if accurate, I have an extra Cleanbox you could have had for a song and a dance.  I'm guessing I'll never use it

(don't ask me what I would have had you sing for me....or how I'd have you dress for the dance  :emotion-41: )

FRIGGIN Marie Osmond!! :emotion-41:  :emotion-41:  :emotion-41:  :emotion-41: :emotion-41:  :emotion-50:  

Make certain to mount them in a SEALED enclosure where you're drawing lots of air through the slots between the housings to keep them cool if you're running them hard. I've seen guys make mistake of just putting them in open racks and that's not enough air. 

Can you explain further?

Seems counter intuitive to me that putting them into a sealed enclosure would give them more air than an open rack?

I would have thought as long as the front faceplate was in the open air you were good to go.  (I learned a bit differently when I had them stacked on each other while sitting on the floor and had the thermo protection light come on)

Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?
Depends upon the purpose. They are a straight-up power amp, so when compared to the latest crop of SOA feature-intensive gear (on board DSP, network capability, ultra high efficiency), the decision quickly falls into a gray area. OTOH, with the K2 you clearly get what you pay for in terms of hardware. They are 40lbs of rock solid amp. Essentially a brick of condensed lightning.

Two things to consider regarding well-implemented legacy amps:

1. Good sound never goes out of style

2. A clean, easily serviceable design (inside &out) will stand the test of time

I still have have two in service, and they can warp space/time on demand. Same as the additional pair of Crowns I've got, I simply cannot find any reason to part with them. :emotion-22:

• Like 1

A clean, easily serviceable design (inside &out) will stand the test of time

This is important to me, why I like the McIntosh MC2505 and MC2100 ( I am sure others are the same).  But when I can find most components at Mouser or alike.  Then I know most reputable service facilities should have no problems.  Ensuring me my investment was a good one.

• Moderators

Seems to me the Cleanbox might not work then?

It's designed (as best I understand) to convert from singled ended RCA to XLR and/or XLR back to RCA.

If you are coming out of your DAC in the XLR format, you don't have to make the swap.

I wonder if your DAC is putting out a true XLR signal??  

You ARE XLR connectors through & through, correct?

bummer if accurate, I have an extra Cleanbox you could have had for a song and a dance.  I'm guessing I'll never use it

(don't ask me what I would have had you sing for me....or how I'd have you dress for the dance  :emotion-41: )

Coytee I have to ask, the Cleanbox you have, does it look like this ?

I want to get one but it seems there were a couple versions and it seems this one would do what I need, increase voltage from RCA in to XLR out.

If that's what it would do I would defiantly be interested in buying it from you, just let me know. Thanks