Older Crown

The Dude

Never heard the d150.  It is because I've been told on more than I occasion that it sounds terrible.  The d45 and d75a are wonderful.  I have both.

I heard a funny comment one time here on the forum.  "You shouldn't attempt to sell your Crown d150.  In fact, you shouldn't give it away either."

"Old and cold" "Don't give it away. Throw it away"

I have two older black-faced Crown DC300II's and am very happy with them.  I also have a Crown DC150 and have no complaints although the power difference is obvious between the 300 and 150.  Also have a Crown Micro-tech 1200.  They all sound nice and I use them for different applications.  They are not boutique, but I  never had a problem with a Crown.

• Like 1

It's 2 channels from the DAC into the Ev Dx38, it leaves the Dx as 4 channels, 2 left, 2 right. The DX is the speaker crossover separating different signals/crossover points for the 402 horn and bass bins. To put them after the Dx I would need 2 of them and I don't think that's where the problem is, it "should" be between the home DAC and pro DX.

One Crown for the bass bins and one for the 402's?

DTel,

Your DAC doesn't have enough "gain reach" to drive the DX 38? The DX 38 has input level controls that go to +6dB over unity. Are they maxed? Which DAC are you using? And CECAA850 will tell you I'm a d$%khead Nazi about this: How is it wired?

Sorry for the hijack, Duder

• Like 1

It's 2 channels from the DAC into the Ev Dx38, it leaves the Dx as 4 channels, 2 left, 2 right. The DX is the speaker crossover separating different signals/crossover points for the 402 horn and bass bins. To put them after the Dx I would need 2 of them and I don't think that's where the problem is, it "should" be between the home DAC and pro DX.

Why not one Crown for the left side and one crown for the right? I believe its referred to as vertical bi amping. I dont think it matters, i was just be involved.

How about some coke with the crown?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Moderators

In a way, it's one amp for each side, one channel for a 402 and the other for bass bins for each side.

• Moderators

DTel,

Your DAC doesn't have enough "gain reach" to drive the DX 38? The DX 38 has input level controls that go to +6dB over unity. Are they maxed? Which DAC are you using? And CECAA850 will tell you I'm a d$%khead Nazi about this: How is it wired?

Sorry for the hijack, Duder

YES the DAC doesn't have enough gain, I'm thinking.

Yes the input on the DX is at max.

It's an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC

It's wired like this.......The Blueray player and tv uses an optical cable into the DAC.......The DAC has L&R XLR out to the XLR connections on the DX 38. The DX 38 has 4 outputs XLR to the Crown XLR inputs, 4 between the 2 amps. From there it's out directly to the speakers. 

Seems to me the Cleanbox might not work then?

It's designed (as best I understand) to convert from singled ended RCA to XLR and/or XLR back to RCA.

If you are coming out of your DAC in the XLR format, you don't have to make the swap.

I wonder if your DAC is putting out a true XLR signal??  

You ARE XLR connectors through & through, correct?

bummer if accurate, I have an extra Cleanbox you could have had for a song and a dance.  I'm guessing I'll never use it

(don't ask me what I would have had you sing for me....or how I'd have you dress for the dance  :emotion-41: )

• Moderators

2 questions then.

Are the gain knobs the same for the bass bin and 402?

Do you know the efficiency numbers for both speakers?

Yes wide open

I don't know the efficiency.

All the knobs on the DX are wide open, input and output. At about 95-100db's the input lights on the Dx blink to about the -6 to -12 db line.

About 2-3 weeks ago Roy and Kevin was here for a few days, he listened and I was hoping he would adjust something, but he just said "what's the problem, what you don't like" I couldn't answer because I thought it was fine. He did also, I was a little worried thinking something was wrong. You don't know what you don't hear, or notice if there is a problem, (like the AVR as a pre amp) but he thought it was fine as is which was a relief.  He's not the kind of person to let it go if something is wrong and we had it going for a few days, at almost 60 I don't trust my ears and it's was nice to have others listen.  

I just think a little more volume would be good and I don't even know why I feel this ? At 100 db with those bass bins things are vibrating in the house, almost everything, china cabinets especially go crazy. But for $67 I think I need to try it just to see. More must be better right ?  :blink:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Seems to me the Cleanbox might not work then?

It's designed (as best I understand) to convert from singled ended RCA to XLR and/or XLR back to RCA.

If you are coming out of your DAC in the XLR format, you don't have to make the swap.

I wonder if your DAC is putting out a true XLR signal??  

You ARE XLR connectors through & through, correct?

bummer if accurate, I have an extra Cleanbox you could have had for a song and a dance.  I'm guessing I'll never use it

(don't ask me what I would have had you sing for me....or how I'd have you dress for the dance  :emotion-41: )

It looks like the one Carl had a link to does a little more. It looks like you can go in and out with either RCA or XLR and adjust the gain for either, up or down depending on how it's connected.

CLEANBOX

The ART CLEANBoxPro provides two channels of unbalanced to balanced level conversion and two channels of balanced to unbalanced level conversion in a rugged, compact, and portable unit. Balanced lines offer increased immunity to external electrical noise, such as hum. Since a balanced system minimizes induced noise, it is the preferred method of connecting audio gear, especially when long lengths of cable are used. 

One section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of consumer-level unbalanced input signals into two channels of pro line-level balanced output signals. It has two RCA jack inputs and a stereo mini-phone jack input connected in parallel. The balanced output feeds two XLR male jacks. 

The other section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of line-level balanced input signals into two channels of consumer unbalanced output signals. It has two XLR female input jacks. The unbalanced output feeds two RCA jacks and a stereo mini-phone jack connected in parallel. Each section has stereo level controls to optimize signal levels. An LED indicator lights when power is applied.

The CLEANBoxPro can be used in application areas including, but not limited to home or professional recording studios, live sound, PA, permanent installs, DJ, AV, consumer HiFi, podcasting and broadcasting. The CLEANBoxPro can be used with: mixers, audio processors, laptop computers, computer sound cards, CD/DVD players, video gaming machines, MP3 player/recorders, powered monitors and digital audio workstations.

• XLR connectors for balanced inputs and outputs
  • RCA phono jacks and stereo 1/8" mini-phone jacks for unbalanced inputs and outputs
  • Unbalanced output level control
  • Balanced output level control
  • Rugged extruded aluminum case
  • Lighted On/Off switch
  • Comes with external power supply for operation with AC mains
  • Low noise, low distortion circuitry

The DAC has L&R XLR out to the XLR connections on the DX 38.

Then putting a cleanbox there should do it.

It looks like it from reading.

Then you would need 2 it seems.  Like I said, you can try mine on one channel to see if it will do what you want it to do and go from there. 

No disrespect...(well, not too much anyway)... but no no no!

Read:

The ART CLEANBoxPro provides two channels of unbalanced to balanced level conversion and two channels of balanced to unbalanced level conversion in a rugged, compact, and portable unit.

If it works like mine, think of it as a converter box.  You convert RCA to XLR going one direction and if you go the opposite direction you then convert XLR back to RCA.

You don't do anything with RCA/RCA or XLR/XLR

What is cool though is you can go from RCA to your XLR ....do something with the signal.....and then plug into the back side (XLR) and convert that back to RCA.  It will work in both directions at the same time.

I still don't think it would work for you if you are 100% XLR already.

• Moderators

The DAC has L&R XLR out to the XLR connections on the DX 38.

Then putting a cleanbox there should do it.

It looks like it from reading.

Then you would need 2 it seems.  Like I said, you can try mine on one channel to see if it will do what you want it to do and go from there. 

The DAC also has RCA stereo output which could go right into the Cleanbox instead of the XLR's, it has both outputs

If I had to guess the voltage problem is between the DAC and the DX-38, which is consumer to pro.

post-9700-0-95780000-1452898592_thumb.jp