Older Crown

The Dude

• Moderators

No disrespect...(well, not too much anyway)... but no no no!

Read:

The ART CLEANBoxPro provides two channels of unbalanced to balanced level conversion and two channels of balanced to unbalanced level conversion in a rugged, compact, and portable unit.

If it works like mine, think of it as a converter box.  You convert RCA to XLR going one direction and if you go the opposite direction you then convert XLR back to RCA.

You don't do anything with RCA/RCA or XLR/XLR

What is cool though is you can go from RCA to your XLR ....do something with the signal.....and then plug into the back side (XLR) and convert that back to RCA.  It will work in both directions at the same time.

I still don't think it would work for you if you are 100% XLR already.

I see what your saying

I can go RCA from DAC to cleanbox and out the cleanbox using XLR ? But is still going to give me an increase in voltage to help the DX get a stronger signal ?

It boosts the signal.

Right.  It boosts the RCA signal to XLR.  It doesn't (as best I know) boost XLR to XLR

It will then step down the XLR signal to RCA in the reverse direction.

(this is how mine works, perhaps they have changed them but from what I read above, it does exactly what mine does)

• Moderators

it has both outputs

Now you're talking.

I'd try the RCA outs into the Cleanbox.  I wonder if your XLR's just parallel the single ended signal rather than be honestly balanced? 

I once again must say this.......I have NO idea.......... :blink:  

I just think a little more volume would be good and I don't even know why I feel this ? At 100 db with those bass bins things are vibrating in the house, almost everything, china cabinets especially go crazy. But for $67 I think I need to try it just to see. More must be better right ? :blink:

Always a little more volume...Nothing like loud and beautiful at the same time :) :) :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

It boosts the signal.

Right.  It boosts the RCA signal to XLR.  It doesn't (as best I know) boost XLR to XLR

It will then step down the XLR signal to RCA in the reverse direction.

(this is how mine works, perhaps they have changed them but from what I read above, it does exactly what mine does)

You mean to tell me this thing may work just as I need it, amazing really, I'm kind of shocked. it's looking good so far.......

• Moderators

I just think a little more volume would be good and I don't even know why I feel this ? At 100 db with those bass bins things are vibrating in the house, almost everything, china cabinets especially go crazy. But for $67 I think I need to try it just to see. More must be better right ? :blink:

Always a little more volume...Nothing like loud and beautiful at the same time :) :) :)

Except in women  :D

• Like 1

I can go RCA from DAC to cleanbox and out the cleanbox using XLR ? But is still going to give me an increase in voltage to help the DX get a stronger signal ?

What I'm guessing (and you'd need one of these smarter guys to figure it out)...

I'm guessing the RCA jacks on the back have a single output to the XLR so the XLR is putting out the same strength as the RCA.

So, yes....if you go RCA into the Cleanbox, you WILL get a stronger signal on the DX side input.

Remember at Hope, (first time I think), I made a comment about Roy's "Blinky lights" on his DX and how mine were not blinking at all?

I had zilcho input signal coming into it.  I put a Cleanbox on it and whammy, I now had blinking input lights.  They just needed a little boost

• Like 1

The older Cleanbox (like mine) evidently had an issue where they truncated the LF signal a bit, causing you to lose some bass.  A fix for this was to take a certain capacitor out and replace it with a larger one.

I did that with mine...  frankly, could never tell much of a difference.  Today, I don't use it at all.  

The ART CLEANBoxPro provides two channels of unbalanced to balanced level conversion and two channels of balanced to unbalanced level conversion in a rugged, compact, and portable unit.

As far as I know, the new ones will not change XLR to RCA or otherwise.  All they do is boost a consumer level signal to a pro level signal.

But it says it right on their info page.  "provides two channels of unbalanced to balanced"....."and two channels of balanced to unbalanced"

"One section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of consumer-level unbalanced input signals into two channels of pro line-level balanced output signals. It has two RCA jack inputs and a stereo mini-phone jack input connected in parallel. The balanced output feeds two XLR male jacks. 

The other section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of line-level balanced input signals into two channels of consumer unbalanced output signals. "

• Moderators
"One section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of consumer-level unbalanced input signals into two channels of pro line-level balanced output signals. It has two RCA jack inputs and a stereo mini-phone jack input connected in parallel. The balanced output feeds two XLR male jacks. 

That would be just what I need right there 

• Moderators

2 things...

1.  I guess I'm confused

2.  Company just arrived!

3.  I need to feed the dogs and take care of Lucky!

Ok, I lied, 3 things 

No I think you got it after re reading

I will check again

Thanks everyone...........it looks like just what I need

I'm sure I'm the one confused, maybe it's the first version.  AU1C had one and had an issue with converting RCA to XLR and he finally called ART.  They said that was normal and it wouldn't..  Maybe he'll chime in with details.  I always thought they converted both ways as well.  Maybe I've cooked one too many brain cells.

• Moderators

It may be on the newer model that it does ? 

It would make sense for it to convert and increase voltage from RCA to XLR. This is where the problem usual is, converting lower voltage home equipment to higher voltage pro stuff.

I wonder if the older model was called Clean box and not called Cleanbox Pro, if they are really different versions ?

From there site....

"One section of the CLEANBoxPro converts two channels of consumer-level unbalanced input signals into two channels of pro line-level balanced output signals. It has two RCA jack inputs and a stereo mini-phone jack input connected in parallel. The balanced output feeds two XLR male jacks. "

That last line is just what I need, this may be a different version than the original ?

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
Maybe I've cooked one too many brain cells.

See I never commented on that because I know I have, and plan on cooking more, I'm on the down hill side of age and just need to save a couple, I do need to know how to press play.

Anyway it's much easier to hang around with smart people than to figure it out on your own. Yes i think of all of you as smart.........well at least paying attention, close enough.  :D