(4) Black La Scala's in Maine - $300 ea BIN

avguytx

<snip> so these will replace my Heresy II's.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

And thank you avguytx so much for finding this and posting it here!!!

Edit: I did buy both pairs but one pair is going to friend who is also replacing his Heresy I's.

You might hear a slight improvement  :ph34r:

All speakers in home and setup. I paid $1350 for four La Scala's and at least 500 records of various genres.

All four have type AA networks. Original caps etc....

One K-77M diaphram appears to be shot. I have to pull it out and double check it but I have infinite resistance from the wires at the network. I am going to call Bob Crites and see what he has for me. Or if anyone has any drivers for sale let me know. My buddy might even just get the upgraded tweeters Bob offers. I am open to any suggestions.

Impressions.   I just got a 5 watt tube amp hooked up and they sound great!!!    Much better than the Heresys. I can't wait to recap the networks.

The guy was super cool. He is a sound guy and does lights too. He says he gets and has lots of stuff. We are going to stay in touch.

Time to listen to more music  :)     

• Like 6

I have to thank everyone for their assistance.  

I would like to thank avguytx especially for the alert on this deal.   THANK YOU AVGUYTX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure some of you on here have heard me say that La Scalas are my dream speaker. My dream has come true :)

• Like 3

Wait til Jp goes up there only to see that it was a big prank I'm playing on him. I'm the actual seller and there are no speakers !!!

Figure I'll wait til he's about half way there to let him know.

No no no, I don't believe you, even for one second.

You're not getting me twice.  :P

I have to thank everyone for their assistance.  

I would like to thank avguytx especially for the alert on this deal.   THANK YOU AVGUYTX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure some of you on here have heard me say that La Scalas are my dream speaker. My dream has come true :)

Glad it worked out for you. I'm collecting my parts for the Belle build but if something comes up along the way, I'd still ponder some of those.

I pretty much haven't stopped listening to them :)

For the people who didn't see the listing photos I can take some pics and post them. I mean they aren't that special to look at currently, standard night club black paint w/ minor marks here and there. They sound good and don't smell like cigarette smoke which is all I care about.

I really don't want to start a new thread on capacitors. I have looked but haven't had luck finding any info on the specs for the old caps. The ones in these are Aerovox so I have been trying to find datasheets for them with no luck. I have read conflicting information about the esr of these old caps. Not current esr but the esr when they were produced. I would think they would be on the high side compared to modern film caps but someone on here stated they were low, around .05 ohms which I find hard to believe given the material used. Honestly I might just pull these out and test them because it sounds good now. It would probably be tough to measure leakage without high impedance measuring equipment.

• Like 1

They sound good and don't smell like cigarette smoke which is all I care about.

Wow, I would say you lucked out.  That smell is why I would never buy speakers installed in a club, but if those are relatively clean as you describe then considering the low purchase price, I think we can officially declare a Big Score!  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

A worthy candidate for the 2016 Youthman Award.   :D 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The club was barely used in the past 10 years. There was a couple shows per month tops and smoking was banned in the club some years ago. I hate the smell of cigarette smell that has permeated into gear, it's worse than the smoke itself because it becomes stale. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker at the price I got them at.

I am not sure if I am going to just give them a fresh coat of paint or pay someone to veneer them. I know someone that will give me good price on veneering. What do you guys paint these with? Is it hard to paint them properly? Sorry I am an electrical guy not a painter :P

http://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-duratex-black-1-pint-roller-grade-cabinet-texture-coating-kit-with-textured-3-ro--260-100?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

This the right stuff?

I just found out member 'Matthews' is sending me a replacement diaphragm gratis!!!!!!   Thanks again Matthews!!

Edited by xxJPMxx
  • Like 3

Sorry I am an electrical guy not a painter :P

I have even less useful skills, as I'm a mental health therapist and not an electrical guy or a painter. 

After you paint it, all I can do is ask you how you feel about that.   :P 

• Like 2

JP,

That is correct, but you need to understand that if you use that roller it will have dimples in the finish. You can use different rollers to get a smoother finish or add a slight amount of water. You can then use a clear finish coat on them to seal it in. I used it also on my RS-3's and it gives a slight sheen to the finish. I do like the dimples on them as well. Or you can sand them and fill in gaps and either stain them if they are a nice wood finish or just paint them with a good semi gloss or high gloss paint. I used Rustoleum black gloss on a pair of KG 3.5's, and also used the same black gloss and an epoxy finish over it on one of my turntable plinths for the piano gloss finish.

• Like 1

Sorry I am an electrical guy not a painter :P

I have even less useful skills, as I'm a mental health therapist and not an electrical guy or a painter. 

After you paint it, all I can do is ask you how you feel about that.   :P

I think that's about the funniest thing I have ever seen you post. :lol:

• Like 2