(4) Black La Scala's in Maine - $300 ea BIN

avguytx

That is the right product for Duratex, but you will need the quart to do two LS inside and out as two coats will be needed. Wears well but does give an industrial look. Thin with a little water to tone that down. Good instructions on PE for different finish looks. I like the roller it comes with but I would spring for an additional 4" version for the exterior. Less work, less "seams" on the paint job. Jimjimbo did some that turned out very nice.

I don't have very good pics, but here are a couple before and after adding trim.

post-60988-0-15140000-1453060127_thumb.jpost-60988-0-72300000-1453060150_thumb.j

• Like 2

Great info guys thanks!!   That product looks like it comes out great form both examples given here.   I will get a few quarts because  I am doing 4 speakers. I would rather have extra, I can always use it for something else. 

What about the inside of the squawker horn?

What do you guys paint these with?

PAINT THEM???   NO NO NO !!!

GET TO SANDING BUDDY!  Lets see that pretty wood :P 

it took me nearly 20 hours of straight, nothing but sanding to get two of em' down to raw wood.  You have A LOT of sanding to do, JP :D 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪  

Matthews, JP doesn't know this, but all 4 speakers have that black plastic wrap on them to save them from scuffing and all he has to do is peel it off to get to the wood.

Oh JP, You can't use a picture of a 5 volt tube showing 6.3 on them as sandpaper to sand them down either.

• Like 2

Matthews, JP doesn't know this, but all 4 speakers have that black plastic wrap on them to save them from scuffing and all he has to do is peel it off to get to the wood.

OMGosh!!! I want video of him peeling that "wrap" off.  I can see the frustration starting already.   It would be best to start at a corner, don't you think, Jim?

OMGosh!!! I want video of him peeling that "wrap" off.  I can see the frustration starting already.   It would be best to start at a corner, don't you think, Jim?

Well 1st he needs to remove all the drivers so the plastic doesn't "Stick" , then he needs to start in a corner.

• Like 1

Oh JP, You can't use a picture of a 5 volt tube showing 6.3 on them as sandpaper to sand them down either.

What next Jim, will you be recommending a left handed paint roller?  Maybe muffler bearings?  :rolleyes:

Like Nick Fury said to Tony Stark, I've got my eye on you.  B)

+++

I also like paint instead of Durotex because I'm not a fan of dimples, although some of the pics above of Mookie's work with the industrial LS looks pretty good with the Durotex.

I like a semi-gloss or a satin black because it is less reflective and I like my speakers to blend in to the background and not call attention to themselves visually.  Use a brush with a quality Fine 3/8" nap.  Ask the Big Speaker guys what size to use.

And make sure not to listen to Jim, get a right handed roller.  :D

071497148445lg.jpg

Edited by wvu80

I'd use a 1/4 inch nap if you did decide to use a semi gloss or satin finish. The roller sleeve shouldn't be pne of the lower ended ones either. A 1/4 inch nap will give a better finish.Make sure you also sand in between coats.I like using a nice steel wool. Start with 0 if already sanded down and finish off with 000 when finish coats are being done.

What's wrong with a left handed roller sleeve?

post-59264-0-35100000-1453064848_thumb.p

• Like 1

yes but look at the quality, and when you paint, the left handed are better for audiophile sound acoustics as the paint goes on differently. The acoustics are inverted so you won't need to use $1,000 cables or wiring.

• Like 2