(4) Black La Scala's in Maine - $300 ea BIN

avguytx

Back to the issues at hand. If the paint on the horn is still in tact and not flaking off, just take apart, and hose it down. If the paint is peeling, a good pressure wash (hand held car wash works). Paint with a good can of spray paint (Rust O Leum works great) for metal. Many finishes from gloss to matte. Whichever you prefer. Spraying is the only way to go.  

If the paint is peeling, a good pressure wash (hand held car wash works). Paint with a good can of spray paint (Rust O Leum works great) for metal.

Yes it's peeling off. A thorough clean and spray paint sounds reasonable to me. I am thinking the horn is Aluminum? A magnet doesn't stick to it and I don't see any rust.

Are they the black satin finish originally or that industrial finish? If black satin, sand them and use the Lowes Valspar Black Satin paint and a good brush and they will look great. I did that to the KLF-30's I had and was pleased with results. To me, that looks better than bedliner or something of that nature.

I used Duratex:

http://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-duratex-black-1-gallon-roller-grade-speaker-cabinet-coating--260-101

Applied with a smooth roller and thinned with a little water on my LSI project. The finish isn't smooth but that roller you linked to from Parts Express will give a rough finish. 

Duratex will really stink up the place so make sure you have good ventilation. 

Mark

I agree with Mookie on the horns, I would also use maybe a wire brush if you can't pressure wash them. Or use a paint remover. The rustoleum would also be my pick as well. Not that any of the other recommendations are wrong, just differing ways.

Are they the black satin finish originally or that industrial finish?

Looks like the industrial finish to me. I think I am going to use Duratex with a smooth roller. The examples given with these methods look good to me.

Thanks for the tip. I will also use more water when mixing as the majority of you have suggested.

Does anyone know if the horns are Aluminum? I have some buffer pads made for removing gaskets on Aluminum engine parts and might clean the horns up with them and then use this to seal it. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/professional/aluminum-primer-spray   Or I might just use that spray after a good cleaning if it is not recommended to completely clean the horns. I just want to prevent future peeling. Do it once ya know.

Are they the black satin finish originally or that industrial finish?

Looks like the industrial finish to me. I think I am going to use Duratex with a smooth roller. The examples given with these methods look good to me.

Thanks for the tip. I will also use more water when mixing as the majority of you have suggested.

Does anyone know if the horns are Aluminum? I have some buffer pads made for removing gaskets on Aluminum engine parts and might clean the horns up with them and then use this to seal it. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/professional/aluminum-primer-spray   Or I might just use that spray after a good cleaning if it is not recommended to completely clean the horns. I just want to prevent future peeling. Do it once ya know.

A. get yourself a piece of scrap wood and do some A/B comparison on smooth roller and textured roller. (We love A/B in this forum) I was not thrilled with the way the Duratex went on the time I used a smooth roller and used the texture for the second coat. Good thing hit hides many sins. The textured roller comes free with the Duratex anyway!

B.  I do believe the horns are a cast aluminum. But I am not 100%.

Edited by MookieStl

Back to the issues at hand. If the paint on the horn is still in tact and not flaking off, just take apart, and hose it down. If the paint is peeling, a good pressure wash (hand held car wash works). Paint with a good can of spray paint (Rust O Leum works great) for metal. Many finishes from gloss to matte. Whichever you prefer. Spraying is the only way to go.  

I didn't mention the Rustoleum because I haven't used it, but I have heard that is a good way to go for black paint.

Your other comment was regarding spraying only.  I used a roller with an enamel black which worked fine, but my speakers were DIY using unfinished MDF.  The MDF soaks up paint like a dry sponge when first applied, so what worked for my application might not work the same for a painted LS surface.

Edited by wvu80

I didn't mention the Rustoleum because I haven't used it, but I have heard that is a good way to go for black paint.

Your other comment was regarding spraying only.  I used a roller with an enamel black which worked fine, but my speakers were DIY using unfinished MDF.  The MDF soaks up paint like a dry sponge when first applied, so what worked for my application might not work the same for a painted LS surface.

Spray only was for the horn, not the cabinet. unless maybe you have a very very small roller. :lol:

Edited by MookieStl

If you are going to use Duratex, you need to watch the video on application on the PE website, or the Duratex site. They give some good tips and advice, and it makes a big difference.

Very good advice I will do my research before dipping the rollers.

Try sticking a magnet on one and let us know what happens.

I tried that as I indicated in post #123 and the magnet didn't stick. It's either Aluminum or some sort of Aluminum alloy. I am certain the rustoleum product I linked will work for either.

And yes I am not spraying the cabs just the horns.

Spray only was for the horn, not the cabinet.

Upon a closer examination, you did indeed specifically mention the HORN as referring to spray paint.

unless maybe you have a very very small roller. :lol:

Whether or not I have a very small roller is of a personal concern, and a sense of modesty keeps me from bragging...

• Like 1