RP-280 vs RP260 System Recommendations

G-Rod

Lol yep! Even sold out on Klipsch.com. boy he sure did a good job of not caring what you wanted and just selling you what he had on hand. Typical salesman.

I've bought from ASD multiple times like others here, Mike seems like a nice guy and his prices are good. but he has tried this same tactic with me several times, telling me what I wanted wasn't necessary and recommended a lesser product. Just have to be firm on what you want and not be swayed. 

I agree with everyone above ^^^.  Fifteen is the new twelve.  If you're not sure, get a single 15" and see what you think.  You can always add a second. 

I have read other comments on this forum for a while and the new Klipsch 15" sub is getting a lot of glowing reviews.  I haven't heard it personally.  I do have a 12" sub and a 15" one for each of two separate systems and the 15" is better in every way, both musically and for movie low frequency effects.

As far the 280f vs the 260f, I don't have a recommendation for your situation.  I do agree, consult the people ^^^ who have owned them.

Edited by wvu80

It's not only the size of the Sub it's the displacement of that given sub. I recently upgraded my single 15" TC sounds (30mm Xmax) with a JL 13W7, the JL is a 13.5" driver but can out displace the 15" by a fair bit. I now run 3 of the JLW7's, the F113 has been said to out displace the Velodyne DD18 so really comes down to the actual driver being used.

Well, I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and did some listening.  Here's the opinion of MY ears:

Now, keep in mind I had to listen to what the guy put on and at the volume he played it, the more I pushed to try and get him to really get it going, the more he was kinda like, "eh, that's good enough." 

RP-260 vs RP-280 -  Very, very, very subtle difference.  I had the guy switch back and forth between the two about 5 times, and not until the 4th time could I start to hear a very little difference.  The 5th time, still very little.  In my opinion, and from what I heard, these are probably the closest 2 speakers of the mid and upper RP line.

RP-450C vs RP-440C  -  I could tell a difference here.  The 450C sounded "fuller."  Both sounded good, but there was a difference here.  And I could tell the difference between the 5.25" and the 4" speakers.  It gave a fuller more wholesome sound.  You could tell it was bigger vs smaller speaker contest here.  This was probably the most notable difference of all of them.

R-115SW vs R-112SW  -  Didn't seem like much difference here, until, like everyone is saying the soundtrack went low.  I watched the same clip with each sub, and at the points where the 12 got to rumbling, the 15 got to rumbling also and went deeper for longer.  (and that enclosure is HUGE)

So, as for all that.........RIGHT NOW.  I think I'm gonna spring the extra $700-$800 and go with the "bigger is better" RP-280 setup.  I'd rather have to much and not need it, than need it and not have it.  :)  

Scrappy I caught your post, I may have to take you up on that some time.  Right now though, I'm dealing with a sick (just a cold but affecting breathing) newborn.

Well, I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and did some listening.  Here's the opinion of MY ears:

Now, keep in mind I had to listen to what the guy put on and at the volume he played it, the more I pushed to try and get him to really get it going, the more he was kinda like, "eh, that's good enough." 

RP-260 vs RP-280 -  Very, very, very subtle difference.  I had the guy switch back and forth between the two about 5 times, and not until the 4th time could I start to hear a very little difference.  The 5th time, still very little.  In my opinion, and from what I heard, these are probably the closest 2 speakers of the mid and upper RP line.

RP-450C vs RP-440C  -  I could tell a difference here.  The 450C sounded "fuller."  Both sounded good, but there was a difference here.  And I could tell the difference between the 5.25" and the 4" speakers.  It gave a fuller more wholesome sound.  You could tell it was bigger vs smaller speaker contest here.  This was probably the most notable difference of all of them.

R-115SW vs R-112SW  -  Didn't seem like much difference here, until, like everyone is saying the soundtrack went low.  I watched the same clip with each sub, and at the points where the 12 got to rumbling, the 15 got to rumbling also and went deeper for longer.  (and that enclosure is HUGE)

So, as for all that.........RIGHT NOW.  I think I'm gonna spring the extra $700-$800 and go with the "bigger is better" RP-280 setup.  I'd rather have to much and not need it, than need it and not have it.   :)

Scrappy I caught your post, I may have to take you up on that some time.  Right now though, I'm dealing with a sick (just a cold but affecting breathing) newborn.

Good luck with the little one.

I hear ya on the sick one. Took my son sledding yesterday and he's runny nosing it today. Lol oh well gotta pay the price sometimes to have fun. Least we had fun sledding. Please please get ahold of me before you buy any speakers from Nebraska furniture mart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

G-Rod: What is difference between RP-260F and RP-280F - i mean bass. The woofers have a 1.5 inches difference. The differences are bit, little, average or maybe large? The 260 and 280 are the same efficiency +-1dB.

G-Rod: What is difference between RP-260F and RP-280F - i mean bass. The woofers have a 1.5 inches difference. The differences are bit, little, average or maybe large? The 260 and 280 are the same efficiency +-1dB.

The strength of the bass is about the same, it's just that the 260s don't go quite as deep as the 280s.

The main difference, imo, is the size of the horn.

The strength of the bass is about the same, it's just that the 260s don't go quite as deep as the 280s.

According to my ears, the 260 and 280 towers are VERY VERY close in sound and output.  Which is why the efficiency is only 1db difference.  The man differences I heard were in the center channels and the subs.

RP-260 vs RP-280 - Very, very, very subtle difference. I had the guy switch back and forth between the two about 5 times, and not until the 4th time could I start to hear a very little difference. The 5th time, still very little. In my opinion, and from what I heard, these are probably the closest 2 speakers of the mid and upper RP line.

According to my ears, the 260 and 280 towers are VERY VERY close in sound and output. Which is why the efficiency is only 1db difference. The man differences I heard were in the center channels and the subs.
its insane how little difference there is. I've always pushed the 6.5" model over the 8". And as far as sub and center those can be substituted. I used 260 mains with the 450 center and of course always big subs for me.

Why the 6.5" over the 8"? Just let the sub do the lows/sound quality? Cost effective?

ive heard them all in my home. Lots of others hear in store. Almost always people walk away saying they are almost indistinguishable. So why spend the extra money? Buy the 260 and put the extra money towards a better model sub. Or bigger center. Or whatever. But towards something else that is distinguishable rather than something that isn't.

Why the 6.5" over the 8"? Just let the sub do the lows/sound quality? Cost effective?

ive heard them all in my home. Lots of others hear in store. Almost always people walk away saying they are almost indistinguishable. So why spend the extra money? Buy the 260 and put the extra money towards a better model sub. Or bigger center. Or whatever. But towards something else that is distinguishable rather than something that isn't.

Not surprising. With some songs I found it nearly impossible to differentiate between the RF-25(6.5") and RF-35(8").

RP-260 vs RP-280 - Very, very, very subtle difference. I had the guy switch back and forth between the two about 5 times, and not until the 4th time could I start to hear a very little difference. The 5th time, still very little. In my opinion, and from what I heard, these are probably the closest 2 speakers of the mid and upper RP line.

According to my ears, the 260 and 280 towers are VERY VERY close in sound and output. Which is why the efficiency is only 1db difference. The man differences I heard were in the center channels and the subs.
its insane how little difference there is. I've always pushed the 6.5" model over the 8". And as far as sub and center those can be substituted. I used 260 mains with the 450 center and of course always big subs for me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, the difference in the depth of the bass is small? Truth? I like quiet but deep bass. My room is small, about 220sqft. Which set is better 260f or 280f? Maybe set 260f+110sw?

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, the difference in the depth of the bass is small? Truth? I like quiet but deep bass. My room is small, about 220sqft. Which set is better 260f or 280f? Maybe set 260f+110sw?

Your not going to be getting your deep bass from your Main speakers if your running with a sub you'll want to cross at 80-120hz depending on your room setup etc. So your Mains only really have to go down to 80hz.