RP-280 vs RP260 System Recommendations

G-Rod

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have given myself a delima.  I guess I'm kind of looking for someone to either talk me into or talk me out of going big.  I'm getting ready to buy a Klipsch home theater system.  I'm pretty sure I'm already in the realm of "overkill" with either of these systems, but I guess I'm trying to decide on whether or not to spend the difference in money between the two.

Looking at the specs on individual components, they seem so close that this leans me toward the RP260.  The RP280F and RP260P specs are nearly so close, that I'm sure I won't even know the difference.  The center channels are basically identical.  Biggest difference looks like it's between the 12" and 15" subs, and the surrounds in both systems call for the RP-250S's so those won't matter.

Going with 2 subs.

Figuring totals from my local dealer (Nebraska Furniture Mart), there's really only gonna be about $850 difference between both systems.  THIS makes me just want to go BIG.

Now, the other thing.  My room is small.....only like 250sqft.  However, that doesn't seem to be a problem here on Klipsch's Dolby Atmos speaker page:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-dolby-atmos-series

I currently have an older version of the Onkyo 7.1 HTIB setup in there now, and when turned up, really, it seems like plenty to me.  (this is a badass "little" system, for the size, price, and what you get)

front_large.jpg

BUT, I want more......and there's that part of me that wants to go crazy, but the other part that knows it's overkill and don't want to have wasted money and power sitting in my living room.  If it matters, 60" TV.

What say you?? 

I say if you're interested in Atmos and are looking at the 280's already, I'd highly recommend looking at the RP-280FA's, the real wood veneer finish is WAY nicer, and the integrated Atmos into the towers is WAY nicer than the modules.  

The 280 F for atmos is nice.  For small rooms the smaller towers work well and many times sound better.  The 6.5 woofers seem best for voices and have plenty of bass especially if you are getting a sub in the future.  A system with any of the above speakers will rock that room out!

G-Rod,

Welcome to the forum.

Now, the other thing. My room is small.....only like 250sqft.

Definitely not overkill with either setup in your room.  I think either set will be just fine.  I personally think you can get away with the RP-260F setup but go with the 15" sub/s.

Bill

I don't think I'm going to worry about Atmos.....I'm not THAT into it right now.  I think a good 5.1 or 5.2 system will sound fine for me.  I did see the RP-280FA's though and they looked pretty neat.  didn't get a chance to hear them.

That was another thing I forgot to mention, I don't think I'd really need the 8" woofers in the towers with 2 subs anyway. 

I know it seems like everyone pushes the 15's, but the RP-260 systems comes with a 12, and I'd have to buy and extra one......anyone one have an opinion on or have used 2 12's?

ANOTHER QUESTION:  Anyone ever buy from audiogurus.com?  It's the best deal I've found so far on the entire systems PLUS includes a Yamaha receiver (which is the exact one I'm wanting also).  At the package price they offer compared to other websites and ebay and amazon, it's basically all the speakers, and a free $800-$1100 receiver.  This is why I keep referring to the "systems" instead of individual components.

http://www.audiogurus.com/brand/klipsch.html

I ended up going with the 260s as I just didn't have space for the 280 foot print. I purchased from ASD as everyone recommended. Mike was awesome. I know many people would disagree but he actually steered me away from the 15 inch sub and recommended the 12. He said the 15 is great for home theater but doesn't do music justice. The 12 is good for both and could always add a second sub later on if you wanted more bass for home theater.

I haven't gotten my setup yet tho so I'm not speaking from experience.

Edited by ajgale1975

I ended up going with the 260s as I just didn't have space for the 280 foot print. I purchased from ASD as everyone recommended. Mike was awesome. I know many people would disagree but he actually steered me away from the 15 inch sub and recommended the 12. He said the 15 is great for home theater but doesn't do music justice. The 12 is good for both and could always add a second sub later on if you wanted more bass for home theater.

coming from the guy who sells stuff vs all of us who have owned them? Hmm I hope you took our advice over his.

That doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I would be perfectly happy with dual 12"s, but the 15"s should be better in every regard.

The 12's just can't hang with the 15's down low.  They're not my favorite for music so I can't argue too much there, but if you want them for movies there's really only one choice as far as I'm concerned.  

When I hear stuff like this I always wonder if shipping costs has anything to do with what got recommended.  

The 12's just can't hang with the 15's down low.  They're not my favorite for music so I can't argue too much there, but if you want them for movies there's really only one choice as far as I'm concerned.  

When I hear stuff like this I always wonder if shipping costs has anything to do with what got recommended.  

Or what's in the warehouse.

I wasn't even thinking about the availability, but yes they've been out of the 15's for a long time.  I even missed a sale due to it.  I figured those guys got priority but maybe they're out too.  I'm buying about 20 of the things come next August.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I had a single 12, then got a second one and that still wasn't enough for me so I bought 2 of the 15's and sold the 12's. The difference between the 15's and the 12's is HUGE. I think you'll end up regretting not going with the 15. The 12's can't even come close when digging down low for movies as the 15. I personally like the 15 better for music also but that's just my personal preference.

Scrappy I'm in Lees Summit, Mo.  Nebraska Furniture Mart is about a 45 min ride for me.  I'm bout to head out there now and go do some looking and listening.  

If I'm gonna go with the 15's, I'll probably just go with the RP-280F system and vice versa.  Same with the 12's and RP-260's.  Nothing is set in stone yet.  

• Like 2