What would Paul Think Of The Palladiums?

Ceptorman

With the Khorn/Palladium debate going on, I wonder what Paul would think about the Palladium series?

Would he be proud of what this group has put together?

Would he advise any changes?

My speculation ....

Maybe, just maybe, his advice would have been .... "Klipsch Jubilee"

• Like 5

PWK indicated in a 1973 interview, "The secret of the product quality wasn’t the fact that it was a cornerhorn speaker, but that it was, well, a high quality product all the way through."

I also think that we would have a very beautiful Home version of the Jubilee!

I think it is pretty safe to say that Paul would have been against outsourcing to China, or charging Paladium prices for something that did not sound as good.

Paul did say that the secret to a good speaker was a good box.

Roger

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't know since i never met the man but just from listening I think he would approve. 

He heard and designed many different speakers, he knew what kind of sound he liked and thought was good, this is why i said that. And they do sound

good. IMO

Compared to other models, there is no telling what he would think ?

With the Khorn/Palladium debate going on, I wonder what Paul would think about the Palladium series?

Would he be proud of what this group has put together?

Would he advise any changes?

My speculation ....

Maybe, just maybe, his advice would have been .... "Klipsch Jubilee"

I agree.  He was not fond of direct radiators.

• Like 2

PWK would be playing reel to reel through Jubilees in his home.

As I recall it, in the Rolling Stone interview, PWK acknowledged being a better engineer than marketing person. I too feel he would have preferred the Jubilee. That said, I feel he would have accepted the Palladium series as high quality alternatives to the very large and low WAF all horn systems. I feel he would have recognized the need for the company to grow and adapt to the market so that it could continue to make large expensive horn loaded speakers to serve what would always be a niche market.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 4

The Klipschorn is a high quality, technical design due to the horn woofer. The Heresy is simply a box. So is the Cornwall. The idea wasn't 'just to build a speaker,' but was to 'build a great sounding speaker.' And the required design was dependent largely on what type of speaker was being envisioned. So Paul would appreciate, I think, the engineering of the Palladium. They incorporate everything necessary to reproduce high quality sound while being aesthetically pleasing to satisfy HAF (HUSBAND acceptance factor). 

They also incorporate a horn mid-range and tweeter. This is the hallmark, if you will, of the Klipsch brand, so the company is staying true to Paul's ground-floor philosophy. Although these horns do not sound like horns. Which is an accomplishment Paul would admire (again, my opinion). So he wouldn't complain about the product straying far from his original vision.

I do not think he would like the decision to manufacture in China. And I'm sure there would have been some heated discussions about it. Consequently I do not think he would have a problem with the price point. Remember how much the Khorn cost when first introduced?

So...

1. the product is well-designed.

2. the product is steadfast within Paul's philosophy of Klipsch by being horn loaded.

3. the product produces high quality sound.

4. the product is well made to last a life-time.

I don't think Paul would have hated the Palladium.

• Like 3

The Klipschorn is a high quality, technical design due to the horn woofer. The Heresy is simply a box. So is the Cornwall. The idea wasn't 'just to build a speaker,' but was to 'build a great sounding speaker.' And the required design was dependent largely on what type of speaker was being envisioned. So Paul would appreciate, I think, the engineering of the Palladium. They incorporate everything necessary to reproduce high quality sound while being aesthetically pleasing to satisfy HAF (HUSBAND acceptance factor). 

They also incorporate a horn mid-range and tweeter. This is the hallmark, if you will, of the Klipsch brand, so the company is staying true to Paul's ground-floor philosophy. Although these horns do not sound like horns. Which is an accomplishment Paul would admire (again, my opinion). So he wouldn't complain about the product straying far from his original vision.

I do not think he would like the decision to manufacture in China. And I'm sure there would have been some heated discussions about it. Consequently I do not think he would have a problem with the price point. Remember how much the Khorn cost when first introduced?

So...

1. the product is well-designed.

2. the product is steadfast within Paul's philosophy of Klipsch by being horn loaded.

3. the product produces high quality sound.

4. the product is well made to last a life-time.

I don't think Paul would have hated the Palladium.

I think you hit on the points in relation to the Palladiums that I believe is the essence of PWK's quote that I pulled below was getting at with a "high quality product all the way through." B)

PWK indicated in a 1973 interview, "The secret of the product quality wasn’t the fact that it was a cornerhorn speaker, but that it was, well, a high quality product all the way through."

I should imagine he would have quite liked them. He was an engineer and a groundbreaking one at that. Guys like that are always looking to the future, be it new concepts, new materials as well as having an awareness of the world around them, for example different lifestyles (the rise of the condo etc). Just as Henry Ford didn't spend his life tinkering with a more refined Model T, I would bet that PWK would have been intrigued and challenged with the new materials and possibilities.

Edited by YK Thom

Of course these are the result of the highest levels of research and engineering. Probably by Roy.

OTOH, there are people who are critical that some of the manufacturing of parts is done in China. It appears to me that even when PWK was the captain of the boat (to one extent or another) horns were being made in China. E.g. my beloved Forte II.

And then there is the MDF issue.

I'll bet that PWK found he could not fight the bean counters and / or the market. A product made entirely in the USA would be too expensive to sell. So you can stand on your principles and price yourself out of the market, or compromise.

= = = = = =

OT. I went to Home Depot looking for drill bits. All there are make in China. Even those sold by Japanese and German companies. Then, just looking around, I estimated that half or more of the store was made in China.

= = = =

I'm not racist or nationalist about this. It is quite true that every county has great engineers, a diligent workforce, and high QC. If there are failings America has the same issues.

= = = =

One of my honorary uncles (a ham) described radio manufacturing in the USA in his day. Engineers would build a magnificent prototype and would turn it on to demonstrate it to the bean counters. The bean counters would start removing parts and performance would be compromised, part by part. Eventually, the radio stopped working altogether. Then the bean counters would put back in the last removed part, and say it was ready for production.

I'll wager that the many countries with great engineers and workforces have these sort of people too.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 2

I should imagine he would have quite liked them. He was an engineer and a groundbreaking one at that. Guys like that are always looking to the future, be it new concepts, new materials as well as having an awareness of the world around them, for example different lifestyles (the rise of the condo etc). Just as Henry Ford didn't spend his life tinkering with a more refined Model T, I would bet that PWK would have been intrigued and challenged with the new materials and possibilities.

Needless to say, the Jubilee is not a Model T.  I'd love to hear a pair cheek by jowl with a pair of Palladia.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

Paul would not have hated the Palladium, but he would not have built it.  It violates at least two of his Cardinal Points that I can think of, that of cost and of minimum cone excursion.  Further, while not part of the Cardinal Points, I don't think it reaches to C1 which he made clear was part of his K'horn design goal. 

I think its looks, performance, and construction quality fully justify its price and that it's easily competitive with the market in its form factor.  It was a good marketing move for Klipsch as there is a demand for such a speaker in the more well heeled and less finicky audio purchasers.

But it's no Klipschorn and wasn't intended to be.  A/B'd at Hope the two times I've been there against the might K'horn I don't recall a soul saying it held up. 

PWK's 8 Cardinal Points are natural, and you can't full mother nature.

Dave

Needless to say, the Jubilee is not a Model T.  I'd love to hear a pair cheek by jowl with a pair of Palladia.

Not a model T but a boutique rework. In the end the reality is that Klipsch is a business. We're it not for large selling numbers of newer product the company could not survive on the small numbers of specialty speakers it produces aimed at a very small niche market. Regardless of sound and the resale market, no company can survive on private resales no matter how popular they may be. Therefore attention needs to be paid to the reality of the current market. The KGs and others filled that role during their time. The Palladium are a true 21 century speaker that would not exist without what came before it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...