you were all right about the Tads and the 402!

juniper

That's certainly not me.  All the K-402's that I've owned--I still own.  I could use four more.: I'm planning to make them in a multiple-entry configuration (with dual 15" woofer pads and more stiffening) for four more New Centers to be used in my main setup.

Chris

Even if you sold 402's I wouldn't believe that you could rip someone off considering what I seen of your expert knowledge and understandings. It wasn't my intention to point any fingers, I simply felt the need to warn others that all 402's are not equal.  

For the record I didn't know there were older K402 horns made of inferior material.  Good to know actually.

Is there an easy way to tell by looking at them closely?

I got all mine from Klipsch.

Yes, the surface of the horn isn't smooth at all. The things were riddled with slight deviations or indentations all over the horn. As you know a current production 402 is basically smooth except for the transition between the flat areas on the inside (closest to the driver) to the curved sections at the exit of the horn. I've heard this transition area being called mumps. The old horns didn't really have an observable "mump transition" like a new horn has. Also the front outside edges were wavy, not straight or even. I know that the old horn material did not stand up to heat very well. It literally gets soft and bendable from sitting in the sun just for a few minutes and then takes a curve.  

For the record I didn't know there were older K402 horns made of inferior material.  Good to know actually.

Is there an easy way to tell by looking at them closely?

I got all mine from Klipsch.

Yes, the surface of the horn isn't smooth at all. The things were riddled with slight deviations or indentations all over the horn. As you know a current production 402 is basically smooth except for the transition between the flat areas on the inside (closest to the driver) to the curved sections at the exit of the horn. I've heard this transition area being called mumps. The old horns didn't really have an observable "mump transition" like a new horn has. Also the front outside edges were wavy, not straight or even. I know that the old horn material did not stand up to heat very well. It literally gets soft and bendable from sitting in the sun just for a few minutes and then takes a curve.  

You can also see the difference if you look at the backside of the horn. Perhaps someone has a photo. 

Edited by PrestonTom

...is the ringing still there on the P.Audio BMD-750 II model?

The P.Audio BM-D750 Series driver apparently has ferrofluid in the voice coil gap to damp those higher order HF modes.  They have obviously addressed the issue through a means that keeps the driven mass as low as possible.

Chris

...............Which is the K-69A.

1st generation K402 circa 1999

They can be identified by a metal driver mounting flange, different ribs on backside and a different/thicker material construction.

They often have some ripples from being removed from the molds while still warm.

They do have mumps (see picture) but it isn't as well defined as the 2nd generation have.

You wouldn't want to use them as outdoor systems where they would be exposed to direct sunlight because the construction material softens considerably.

The 2nd generation K402 is made from a more temperature stable material and more refined cosmetically and thus more desirable IMO.

The first generation K402 when used indoors are still very good sounding and well worth owning at a reasonable price and the cosmetic issues can be hidden behind grille cloth IMO.

miketn

post-12368-0-41120000-1457996652_thumb.j

post-12368-0-94280000-1457996700_thumb.j

post-12368-0-33080000-1457996751_thumb.j

Edited by mikebse2a3