you were all right about the Tads and the 402!

juniper

Hello All,

Spencer told me that, if you bought the set horn/driver/bracket from klipsch, they will sell you the horn for replacement, after verifying the original purchase.

Good luck

So whos going to bite the bullet, buy a whole set, and then get "clumsy" and require several new horns? ;)

• Like 2

Hello All,

Spencer told me that, if you bought the set horn/driver/bracket from klipsch, they will sell you the horn for replacement, after verifying the original purchase.

Good luck

So whos going to bite the bullet, buy a whole set, and then get "clumsy" and require several new horns? ;)

Haha, I was thinking the same thing ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

just came here to post that^:

Unfortunately, I am no longer allowed to sell the K-402 horns by itself.  This was passed down to us a couple of hours ago.  We have been instructed to offer the complete unit, KPT-402-HF or MF, with a K69 driver.  The price on a KPT-402 is $1,078.65 each plus shipping.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  If you have any questions about this, you may reach out to Roy Delgado at Klipsch, roy.delgado@klipsch.com.

:(  :(  :(

Looks like Klipsch doesn't want my business anymore then, because i am not going to pay that, and then swap out drivers, and crossovers. I will have to either look at used horns or go to Danley, and give them my hard earned cash.

I guess that customers whose horns get damaged will have to buy a completely new setup due to Klipsch policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you own a catalogued Klipsch speaker that uses the k402, and your horn is damaged, you can get a replacement horn only.

Just to clarify the purchase of K-402's as replacements is this quote from Spencer: "I understand that you are in need of replacement K402 horns for your KPT-402-MF or HF speakers.  I think there’s been a misunderstanding among the Klipsch forum group.  Klipsch will allow us to sell individual parts as long as it is being purchased as a replacement for a complete unit, such as your case.  We just want to avoid situations where people are buying parts to build their own speakers.  There have been cases where competitors have done this with Klipsch parts."

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I am no longer allowed to sell the K-402 horns by itself.  This was passed down to us a couple of hours ago.  We have been instructed to offer the complete unit, KPT-402-HF or MF, with a K69 driver.  The price on a KPT-402 is $1,078.65 each plus shipping.  I apologize for the inconvenience.  If you have any questions about this, you may reach out to Roy Delgado at Klipsch, roy.delgado@klipsch.com.

Looks like Klipsch doesn't want my business anymore then, because i am not going to pay that, and then swap out drivers, and crossovers. I will have to either look at used horns or go to Danley, and give them my hard earned cash.

I guess that customers whose horns get damaged will have to buy a completely new setup due to Klipsch policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you own a catalogued Klipsch speaker that uses the k402, and your horn is damaged, you can get a replacement horn only.

Just to clarify the purchase of K-402's as replacements is this quote from Spencer: "I understand that you are in need of replacement K402 horns for your KPT-402-MF or HF speakers.  I think there’s been a misunderstanding among the Klipsch forum group.  Klipsch will allow us to sell individual parts as long as it is being purchased as a replacement for a complete unit, such as your case.  We just want to avoid situations where people are buying parts to build their own speakers.  There have been cases where competitors have done this with Klipsch parts."

So you would have to have something from the pro line that utilizes the K402 such as the MCM, KPT-745, KPT-445, Jubilee, KPT-535, or the KPT-932.  What if someone was wanting to upgrade their older models to the newer better sounding horn?

• Like 1

What if someone was wanting to upgrade their older models to the newer better sounding horn?

It just dawned on me that if you were upgrading, you would want the whole thing, driver/horn combo.

Well, I guess one could the KPT-904 with the K510 and would like to upgrade.  In that case you wouldn't need a driver.

• Like 1

So you would have to have something from the pro line that utilizes the K402 such as the MCM, KPT-745, KPT-445, Jubilee, KPT-535, or the KPT-932.  What if someone was wanting to upgrade their older models to the newer better sounding horn?

I don't have an entire system such as KPT-MCM-II-Q THX, but Roy was okay with selling me the replacement K-402's after I sent in photo's with serial numbers. the old K-402's were manufactured in 1999. The material used on these early versions is subject to warping from heat and I suspect excessively brittle judging by numerous cracks that were present when I purchased them. According to Roy Delgado "The current horns are made of a different material. Much stiffer." For the cost it made sense to replace the 402's with versions that are tougher and a lot more ascetically pleasing.  

• Like 2

I don't have an entire system such as KPT-MCM-II-Q THX, but Roy was okay with selling me the replacement K-402's after I sent in photo's with serial numbers. the old K-402's were manufactured in 1999. The material used on these early versions is subject to warping from heat and I suspect excessively brittle judging by numerous cracks that were present when I purchased them. According to Roy Delgado "The current horns are made of a different material. Much stiffer." For the cost it made sense to replace the 402's with versions that are tougher and a lot more ascetically pleasing.  

Because of the higher costs of purchasing K-402 horns the used market seems like a viable option. Please beware that I know of one unscrupulous seller who frequents this forum that will happily take your money in exchange for older K-402 horns that were produced with the less durable material. without naming any names, this person is a well known member, trusted by many and appears to be a real nice guy. Underneath his façade of an easy going, friendly and knowledgeable Klipsch fan lurks a thief that will happily accept a premium price and give you a sub standard product while claiming that it's the real thing. Caveat emptor.

• Like 1

That's certainly not me.  All the K-402's that I've owned--I still own.  I could use four more.: I'm planning to make them in a multiple-entry configuration (with dual 15" woofer pads and more stiffening) for four more New Centers to be used in my main setup.

Chris

• Like 1

...is the ringing still there on the P.Audio BMD-750 II model?

The P.Audio BM-D750 Series driver apparently has ferrofluid in the voice coil gap to damp those higher order HF modes.  They have obviously addressed the issue through a means that keeps the driven mass as low as possible.

Chris

Because of the higher costs of purchasing K-402 horns the used market seems like a viable option. Please beware that I know of one unscrupulous seller who frequents this forum that will happily take your money in exchange for older K-402 horns that were produced with the less durable material. without naming any names, this person is a well known member, trusted by many and appears to be a real nice guy. Underneath his façade of an easy going, friendly and knowledgeable Klipsch fan lurks a thief that will happily accept a premium price and give you a sub standard product while claiming that it's the real thing. Caveat emptor.

Sounds like someone had a bad experience.........