TT Upgrade With Pic

jcmusic

That looks incredible.

Serious that it had a 3rd arm? What was it? And what will mount on the remaining two. That Tri-planar is supposed to be super.

Hi Evan.

it's been awhile how are you? How are those CW doing??? Yes it had a Technics as the third arm my friend wanted so I let it go...

There stuff is amazing, and I really like the way you have that rigged up. 

Now all you need is a third tonearm with a mono cartridge and you have everything you need.  :)

So that has the vacuum system?  How loud or quiet is that?  ​

Travis,  here are pic's of the internals... One is the base the other is the platter, both have cavities drilled into them 2" deep the large ones are 1 1/2" the smaller ones are 1 1/4". They are all filled with #7.5 lead shot and a special silicone oil, this is for added weight and damping!!!

IMG_20160113_211953412_HDR_zps2fcuievp.j

IMG_20160113_212341972_HDR_zpskvqducpu.j

Edited by canyonman

• 1 month later...

Ok got the cartridge on and dialed in I have about 23 hours on it right now and it is just pure bliss!!! I have heard 2-3 small changes in the sound as the cartridge starts to break in looking forward to hearing it after 50-70 hours!!! The sound is just about what I was hoping for a lil more detail and keeping the warm sound. I am hearing some things (minor) in some music I don't remember hearing before. 

I have gone out into much deeper waters now, a deal came my way that I couldn't pass on.
Canyonman, what brand and model is the equipment stand?  How do you like it, and how much is one of those?

Hi Larry,

The stand was made by Audiav I think they are no more, I do believe though that they have a new name. I will check for you, when new this particular unit sold for right at $3K.

The MA505 is a great tonearm, Joe Grado favored it.

This is so true djk, the problem here is comparing it to the Triplanar is just unfair!!! I am also on the fence about which cartridge I like with it, either the Acutex or the Audio Technica ML 160. It doesn't get used alot so may part with it one day, let someone else enjoy it.

Edited by canyonman

Then we can go get us a (Grown Man Sandwich) LOL!!!

A friend I bowl with takes his wife to N.O. every year for their anniversary.  He brought me back a Central Grocers muffaletta after I bugged the crap out of him.  I ate a quarter of it every day this week for lunch (Mon-Thu).  It was soooooooooooooo good!!! 

My wife has been bugging me about getting over that way, I really need to.  You'll definitely know when I head east.

Then we can go get us a (Grown Man Sandwich) LOL!!!

A friend I bowl with takes his wife to N.O. every year for their anniversary. He brought me back a Central Grocers muffaletta after I bugged the crap out of him. I ate a quarter of it every day this week for lunch (Mon-Thu). It was soooooooooooooo good!!!

My wife has been bugging me about getting over that way, I really need to. You'll definitely know when I head east.

Ok Carl,

Looking forward to it.

That is a very nice rig that will take your vinyl experiences to a whole new level.

Yes you are correct I have already started to hear this, it is getting better just about every time I listen to it, I only have 27 hours on the new cartridge so after about 50 hours or so it should be awesome.

That platter is a work of art is the same sense as a USN Mk 5 is a work of art.

That is something else.

Travis,

I agree with you on the platter it is truly a feat of engineering, the base arm and motor pod are all done the same way!!! So far I have not been let down the sound is impressive. Yes even though I loved and enjoyed my VPI/Dyna setup this one is much more refined and just plain better!!!