Custom Chorus Enclosure

Bob01464

Just wondering if anybody had put the Chorus k-48 into a larger enclosure. After running the numbers it look like the optimum ported enclosure size should be around 8 to 9 cu ft. That's about double what the Chorus cabinets provide. Would there be a trade-off for the lower tuning? If it seems like a win win I might have to give it a shot.

welcome Bob01464: almost all the home Klipsch are in smaller that optimum cabinets. Same as just about any other company. There is no free lunch and no winning with customers. In the store most customers complain they are too big then at home as the quarterback armchair designer we realize they should be bigger because now we see the potential of extended bass response. There is just no making us happy as consumers but the company has to turn a profit and all the factors have to be balanced and you get what work best in the end. So sure build larger cabinets if you have the room build them extra big so you can actually account for stiffening and brace work because tey make noise now at the size they are and that will only get worse the larger you make them so get the bricks and steel i-beams out and do it right this time around. rum your simulations and compare you will find that you need to go a lot larger and you won't get a lot more bass extension but you will get more only you can decide if the new size is justified Trade of is a tad lower efficiency but you have lots of that and besides watts are cheap so who really cares?. A tapped horn sub might be a better use of resources. Options like these are all for you to call. Best regards Moray James.

I would challenge you to see exactly what you can do with a stock Chorus cabinet to improve matters before you go supersize, there are options.

Thanks Moray I do appreciate your input. One of reasons I asked was if I was to build a custom cabinet would it be better to get closer to the optimum size. Was thinking of something along the lines of the Klipschorn corner placed enclosure but done a conventional forward firing woofer and maintaining the 3 way layout. Bracing would be a major consideration. Luckily do have the room to do it. I will admit some of this is just thinking out loud and seeing what other peoples thoughts and experiences are.

Edited by Bob01464

Thanks Moray I do appreciate your input. One of reasons I asked was if I was to build a custom cabinet would it be better to get closer to the optimum size. Was thinking of something along the lines of the Klipschorn corner placed enclosure but done a conventional forward firing woofer and maintaining the 3 way layout. Bracing would be a major consideration. Luckily do have the room to do it. I will admit some of this is just thinking out loud and seeing what other peoples thoughts and experiences are.

what you are considering has been done essentially it is a double Cornwall cabinet vertically stacked and designed to corner mount.. Not all would agree but in my book a quality two way is a much better option than a three way especially if you use a larger horn see the Bob Crites Cornscalla "D" type.

Cornwall variant.pdf