mounting Lascalas

Grinder

I inherited a pair of La Scalas, I believe from the 70's and have a few questions. First of all, I want to suspend them from the ceiling in my wood shop. I have 10' ceilings and was wondering if there would be any issue with laying the speakers on there sides, just so they don't hang down so low. I was planning on putting them on wooden pallet tops, suspended from all 4 corners with rope, with rubber matting in between the speaker and pallet top. Any suggestions or alternative methods appreciated. My other question is reguarding the crossovers, how do you tell if they need rebuilding? When I hooked the speakers up, for a trial run, the sound was none too impressive. I tried pairing with a couple different mid grade receivers and a couple different mid grade cd players. The sound with all combinations was harsh and middy. Adding in a 31 band graphic eq, I was able to cut some mids and get a great sound. is this something typical with these speakers or a sign of an issue that needs addressing? Thanks for the help.

Adding in a 31 band graphic eq, I was able to cut some mids and get a great sound. is this something typical with these speakers or a sign of an issue that needs addressing?

No.  You have a problem.  It is likely the crossovers need some attention.  You'll get plenty of advice here and I'm leaving it to our experts.

Welcome to the madness.  Once you get those things right you'll hear music like never before.  PWK's designs need nothing but a smidgeon of clean power to take your breath away.

Dave

• Like 2

I checked out both speakers, the crossovers in each speaker look nothing alike.Guessing that one was replaced at some point. Can someone please recommend someone who would be knowledgeable on the subject and help me find the proper crossovers, so I can get these speakers up and running.

I have to figure out how to resize the pics, so I can post them.

Welcome, "Grinder" :emotion-21:

Try right clicking on your photo.  A menu window will pop up, there should be a "resize picture" option.  Choose "small" or "medium".  Worth a shot if you haven't already tried this.  Alternatively, copy and paste from Photobucket.

Hope this works. Attached Thumbnails

Holy Smokes, "Grinder" :o  

I have been in contact with the seller of the AA crossovers linked below.  Looks like you may need them much more than I do.  He is a pleasurable fellow and new to the site as well. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161411-pair-of-klipsch-aa-crossover-networks/

Let me know if you want them, I will notify seller (Don) that you are in greater need than I...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Yes, if that's what I need to get them working I'm definitely interested. Thanks.

Well darnit', "Grinder"...  I did not hear back from you in time.  The crossovers are in the post, on their way to Missouri now.  Will have to wait until they arrive to figure it out.  Until then, am sure I or another forum member will be able to help get you going. 

Sorry man :(

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: if you decide you still want these, they are yours for what I have in them, $90 + actual shipping...

Edited by Matthews

Yes, if that's what I need to get them working I'm definitely interested. Thanks.

Well darnit', "Grinder"...  I did not hear back from you in time.  The crossovers are in the post, on their way to Missouri now.  Will have to wait until they arrive to figure it out.  Until then, am sure I or another forum member will be able to help get you going. 

Sorry man :(

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: if you decide you still want these, they are yours for what I have in them, $90 + actual shipping...

That's swell of you to offer. If you really want to part with them, send me an IM. Thanks

First you need to make sure all the drivers are working. If they sound that bad I suspect other things a miss also. The crossovers can be redone by Bob Crites he is a great guy. You can the  kit or have him do it. They look like they both are in need of repair.

But if drivers are found bad that's a whole new story that Bob can help with also.

When you hang them be aware of how heavy they are.   Rick

First you need to make sure all the drivers are working. If they sound that bad I suspect other things a miss also. The crossovers can be redone by Bob Crites he is a great guy. You can the  kit or have him do it. They look like they both are in need of repair.

But if drivers are found bad that's a whole new story that Bob can help with also.

When you hang them be aware of how heavy they are.   Rick

I'm pretty sure that the drivers are fine. As I said with a little eqing they sounded great, so I believe the problem is the cross overs. i have been looking on Crites site. thanks, Grinder

There are a number of kits out there.  Crites is one of the lowest cost and the job only requires being able to make a decent, if not pretty, solder connection.  The results on systems with degraded caps is superb.  I did this on my '72 K'horns and am a totally happy camper...and my crossovers didn't look remotely as toast as yours.

Dave

They seem to be Type AAs, but from different years.  What are your serial numbers? 

Type AAs are easy to build/rebuild, if you can solder.  The schematic is in the Tech section.  Keep the T2A autoformer and the dual diodes and replace the rest.