One of my RP-260's is 3-4 dB quieter than the other

jephdood

Right at 30 days in to my RP-260 purchase direct from Klipsch, I finally got around to calibrating my system an noticed one of the towers was 3-4 dB quieter.  I know it's the speaker itself by moving it's position to the other side and the problem followed it.

Klipsch is willing to swap it out under warranty, but...  I think *I* have to pay to ship the thing back...  which isn't cheap.  I don't see why I'm responsible for more out of pocket with a defective product, but whatever.  It is what it is I guess.

I can level adjust with my receiver, and the test tones sound pretty close to each other by doing this...  but I don't want to hang on to a speaker that might have bigger issues later.  There's something obviously not quite right with it...  but is it enough of a deal to shell out for shipping it back and being without one of my speakers for who knows how long?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Right at 30 days in to my RP-260 purchase direct from Klipsch, I finally got around to calibrating my system an noticed one of the towers was 3-4 dB quieter.  I know it's the speaker itself by moving it's position to the other side and the problem followed it.   Klipsch is willing to swap it out under warranty, but...  I think *I* have to pay to ship the thing back...  which isn't cheap.  I don't see why I'm responsible for more out of pocket with a defective product, but whatever.  It is what it is I guess.

I think you should speak to a higher up.  Clearly a defect from mfr'ing.

Bill 

• Like 1

Klipsch is willing to swap it out under warranty, but...  I think *I* have to pay to ship the thing back...  which isn't cheap.  I don't see why I'm responsible for more out of pocket with a defective product, but whatever.  It is what it is I guess.
sounds like a big fat load of  :pwk_bs: to me.

i would make them pay for it to be fixed OR send it all back and never buy from them again. my opinion. that is horrible customer service if they won't get you a return label and suck it up. they ship for pennies anyways.  

Right at 30 days in to my RP-260 purchase direct from Klipsch, I finally got around to calibrating my system an noticed one of the towers was 3-4 dB quieter.  I know it's the speaker itself by moving it's position to the other side and the problem followed it.

I can level adjust with my receiver, and the test tones sound pretty close to each other by doing this...  but I don't want to hang on to a speaker that might have bigger issues later.  There's something obviously not quite right with it...  but is it enough of a deal to shell out for shipping it back and being without one of my speakers for who knows how long?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Did you use the right channel speaker wires when you moved the speaker to the left and vice versa? What is the output wattage of the amp and are both speaker wires the exact same length?

Wb

Edited by Wolfbane

Yes, same length wires and they stayed in place when I swapped L & R channels.  It's an Onkyo TX-NR809 powering them.  Rated @ 135wpc, 2 channels driven.  I even moved them to our family room and ran them off a Denon AVR 951 there...  same issue (of course).

This is on the Return Authorization they sent to me:  "Return shipping for exchanges/repairs is the sole responsibility of the original retail purchaser."

I thought that was a little bogus myself..

and you bought them straight from klipsch? call them and tell them to send you the parts and fix it yourself. maybe a woofer is out? or crossover issue. one of them two would make for the 3-4db loss i would think. i had a palladium issue and they started shotgunning parts at me. they sent crossover board. if that didn't work next was new midrange. ended up being the board. but those parts were absolutely FREE! there is no reason in hell you should have to send the entire speaker back. 

• Like 1

Yes, same length wires and they stayed in place when I swapped L & R channels.  It's an Onkyo TX-NR809 powering them.  Rated @ 135wpc, 2 channels driven.  I even moved them to our family room and ran them off a Denon AVR 951 there...  same issue (of course).

This is on the Return Authorization they sent to me:  "Return shipping for exchanges/repairs is the sole responsibility of the original retail purchaser."

I thought that was a little bogus myself..

More than a little bogus.

If there was any quality control inspection along the chain it would have been caught.

Can't see how this is anyway the purchaser's fault.

This is what happens when products are outsourced.

I would not live with the issue. The speakers look perfect and you bought them new, you want them to sound perfect. Try to get them to diagnose and send you parts. If they will not then bite the bullet and ship it back and get a new one. Good luck! Post some pics when you get a chance, love to see the new line

Like everyone else above, I would not accept a new product that does not work properly.  Klipsch is a good company, I feel strongly they will help you with this.

Have you checked the wiring from the XO to the drivers?  It sounds like the speaker is wired out of phase, which means a +/- somewhere is backwards.  Hopefully it is a wire going to a driver, and not something in the crossover.  It could even be from the XO to the terminals.

I would talk with tech support as well as emailing.  Get a human being on the line.

Edited by wvu80

Just got this response back to confirm:   "Our Warranty Policy does state that the customer is responsible for shipping the product back to us. We do cover the shipping to get the new product to you."

Get on a live chat with a rep or call directly.  Are you certain you contacted Klipsch within the 30 day window, which is from time of purchase?

Bill 

The first time I contacted them online I believe it was 30 days from purchase exactly.  Then I couldn't find the ticket number from that communication which you need to check status...  so I submitted a second one, which was about a week later.  I'll call this morning (if I have time.  Tomorrow for sure)..  see what they say.

I've owned lots of Klipsch products over the years.  Hopefully these won't be my last.

*Update* - I called, and I guess it's been escalated to a supervisor in their support dept to see if they can authorize a return label for me.  So that's a positive I guess.  We'll see what happens.  Thanks all for hearing me out and giving suggestions and whatnot.

Did you use the right channel speaker wires when you moved the speaker to the left and vice versa? What is the output wattage of the amp and are both speaker wires the exact same length?

The wattage and length of the speaker wire are mute points for the most part.  This is a speaker problem.

If you purchased some Bose speakers instead of large Klipsch speakers you could have just shoved them in an envelope and saved a bunch of cash on shipping. :unsure:

Or go to Radio Shack and get a replacement speaker for your Bose that sounds better for about $4

• Like 2

Do all the drivers have sound coming out of them? Is there a jumper on the terminal and does it make a good connection? If you have a multimeter measure the DCR at the terminals.

1) Yes.  2) Of course.  3) No, I haven't measured at the terminals.  I have a multimeter burried in the garage somewhere I think...

If you purchased some Bose speakers instead of large Klipsch speakers you could have just shoved them in an envelope and saved a bunch of cash on shipping. :unsure:

Yes, but that would have been a waste of a perfectly good envelope.

• Like 3