How The World Works

Jim Naseum

It's also an idiom, and not an axiom.

First, an axiom is "A proposition that commends itself to general acceptance; a well-established or universally-conceded principle; a maxim, rule, law." 

An Idiom is "A form of expression, grammatical construction, phrase, etc., peculiar to a language; a peculiarity of phraseology approved by the usage of a language, and often having a signification other than its grammatical or logical one." 

I'm saying that for believers in a certain ancient texts, the proposition is a generally accepted principle, because it is taken to be absolute truth.  How could it be otherwise. 

My original use references ancient sources, not Thomas Gray.

Edited by jo56steph74

Chapter 7

Old people forget the premise of Rock and Roll. How many times I have heard old geezers in their 60s and beyond yakking about how they love all that old R&R from the 60s and 70s and 80s, and yet they are strict authoritarians and reactionaries full of old time homilies from the 1860s and 1870s? They have seemed to lost the idea that R&R is an artform that represents and extols the virtues of teen sex, illicit drug use, laziness, irresponsibility and rebellion against authority. 

How can you love an artform and its best artists and not embrace the values from which their art arises? Mystery to me. Are these geezers perfectly fine if their 15 year old grand daughter has a sex party with a band? Starts doing hallucinogens? Cocaine? Because that IS the fuel and values of R&R. I'm kinda reminded of of the guy who says, "I only read Playboy for the articles." 

I'm merely a moderateur...

Either way, there's never any  point in arguing with authorities when there are fun people like lawyers around! LOL

So, I have gone back to neutralize my previous scant references which were of such objection. 

Edited by jo56steph74

JM: they adopt the least painful belief. The one with the lowest cost to their psyche.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

This describes a percentage of the people. There is also a percentage that sees red when it's obviously blue for the sake of creating controversy.

What's better? To be delusionally happy? Or to be an enlightened ogre?

That's complicated. But gets to the heart of it. Supposing for a moment that the prevailing reality was for people accept obvious truths. We can only wonder how profoundly different life would be? We already know the outcome of deep, wide delusion. It's almost hard to imagine!

"But only we decide... which is real and which is an illusion."  Graeme Edge

This is nothing more than a re-hash of whether you think life is the equivalent of a glass half-empty or a glass half-full. "Big wheels" can be good. It all depends upon your perspective.

My perspective is that the glass was too big.  B)

• Like 1

This is nothing more than a re-hash of whether you think life is the equivalent of a glass half-empty or a glass half-full. "Big wheels" can be good. It all depends upon your perspective.

My perspective is that the glass was too big.  B)

Stirring up trouble again, eh? :unsure:  :o

Optimist: "The glass is half-full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half-empty."

Engineer: “That idiot is using the wrong size glass.”

Realist: "Yep. That's a glass, alright."

Idealist: "One day, cold-fusion from a glass of water will provide unlimited energy and end war."

Pragmatist: “I’m going to drink that water from that glass.”

Capitalist: "If I bottled the contents of this glass and gave it a New Age-sounding name, I could make a fortune."

Communist: "The drink in this glass belongs to every single one of us in equal measure."

Conspiracist: "The government is fluoridating the water in this glass for mind-control purposes."

Sexist: "This glass isn't gonna refill itself, honeybun..."

Misogynist: "Get over here and fill this glass now, *****"

Nihilist: "The glass does not exist, and neither do I."

Opportunist: "There's a funny t-shirt in here somewhere."

Masochist: “I’m going to break that glass and cut myself.”

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 2

One and the same, and discuss neither. Dave

Man, I have GOT to work on my sense of humor, and how to get it across better.  :P :P :P :P :P

I guess there's some things a guy just doesn't joke about around here.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Chapter 2

For the first 65,000 years of Man events were driven by FOOD. For the last 8,000 years events (the course of history) was and continues to be driven by MONEY.

Back when I was in school -- a long time ago, but still within the course of history -- "Man" was thought to be almost 1 million years old.  In fact, I think somebody wrote a book titled Man: His First Million Years.   It may depend on our definition of "Man."

Written history began about 6,000 years ago (4,000 B.C.) with the probable invention of cuneiform by the Sumerians.   Or not?

I think that coins were invented about that time, as well --- the beginning of the end?

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

Chapter 2

For the first 65,000 years of Man events were driven by FOOD. For the last 8,000 years events (the course of history) was and continues to be driven by MONEY.

Back when I was in school -- a long time ago, but still within the course of history -- "Man" was thought to be almost 1 million years old. In fact, I think somebody wrote a book titled Man: His First Million Years. It may depend on our definition of "Man."

Written history began about 6,000 years ago (4,000 B.C.) with the probable invention of cuneiform by the Sumerians. Or not?

I'm using a period that includes not just written history but the period tracing back to the caves of Lascaux where paintings were found. Yes, it is a tad bit arbitrary on my part. But it represents the beginning of our ability to understand personal yearnings, imagination, and perhaps motivations.

I could be more general and say "a million years before agriculture. "

Thanks for the good comment.

Edited by jo56steph74