How The World Works

Jim Naseum

Of course.  And to keep it in the spirit of the thread, S/D/R&R is nothing new.  Some anthropologists say that culture was birthed when some apes ingested psychedelic plants.  Next thing you know they're bangin out a rhythm and dancing around.

• Like 1

This is nothing more than a re-hash of whether you think life is the equivalent of a glass half-empty or a glass half-full. "Big wheels" can be good. It all depends upon your perspective.

My perspective is that the glass was too big.  B)

Stirring up trouble again, eh? :unsure:  :o

Optimist: "The glass is half-full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half-empty."

Engineer: “That idiot is using the wrong size glass.”

Realist: "Yep. That's a glass, alright."

Idealist: "One day, cold-fusion from a glass of water will provide unlimited energy and end war."

Pragmatist: “I’m going to drink that water from that glass.”

Capitalist: "If I bottled the contents of this glass and gave it a New Age-sounding name, I could make a fortune."

Communist: "The drink in this glass belongs to every single one of us in equal measure."

Conspiracist: "The government is fluoridating the water in this glass for mind-control purposes."

Sexist: "This glass isn't gonna refill itself, honeybun..."

Misogynist: "Get over here and fill this glass now, *****"

Nihilist: "The glass does not exist, and neither do I."

Opportunist: "There's a funny t-shirt in here somewhere."

Masochist: “I’m going to break that glass and cut myself.”

My response is, "Fill up the glass!"

• Like 3

One and the same, and discuss neither. Dave

Man, I have GOT to work on my sense of humor, and how to get it across better.  :P :P :P :P :P

I guess there's some things a guy just doesn't joke about around here.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apparently I need to work on mine as well.  In any event, I recognized your humor, and it was good.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Of course.  And to keep it in the spirit of the thread, S/D/R&R is nothing new.  Some anthropologists say that culture was birthed when some apes ingested psychedelic plants.  Next thing you know they're bangin out a rhythm and dancing around.

Right. Sex and drugs and perversions of all kind are not new. They are essential roots of the form itself. It is a total rebellion musically, socially, and culturally. The "groupie" is the quintessential fan. 

What I am asking here is, can you be a 55 year old grandma, with strict "Victorian" moral structures, and be an honest fan of the genre?

No.

I am trying to understand how so many people can exhibit highly conventional and even reactionary morality while expressing so much love for rock and roll music and bands. 

Easy enough.  Practicing the former and enjoying the latter are no more contradictory than enjoying Royal Fireworks Music without being a member of the aristocracy.  It's a straw man.

Dave

That argument doesn't work for me. A Rock and Roll fan is helping to support the lifestyle of what in other circumstances would be degenerate lifestyles. It's not a simple matter of "enjoying" as though there is some clean disconnect. In addition to the logical support and endorsement you supply to a degenerate lifestyle, you are also presumably "singing their songs" which have to do with that degenerate lifestyle. 

Take the Eagles. In the interview I posted, the member describes cocaine fueled orgies they enjoyed after each show. Are you down with that? When you hum along with your favorite artists, are you ok with what all those lyrics are saying?

Take the Eagles. In the interview I posted, the member describes cocaine fueled orgies they enjoyed after each show.

Hard to deal with that, as one of those band members is on my advisory group for my RMHC project.  We don't discuss those things, so I can't say whether they were into such things before being rich and famous or they got into them as a by product of that fame as so many have.  I can tell you that those days are in the past, at least from what I can tell. 

Many show people have gone through that phase.  Too many never emerged.  Others got out, got clean, and still are able to perform as well as ever.  The lead singer of the Temptations is certainly another of those.  Older than God, healthy as a horse, and still touring.  Will be here in Texarkana 6 February and I am looking forward to it. 

We make way too many assumptions in this country about connections and casualty.  Rock and roll didn't spring from drugs, nor did it's predecessor the blues, or it's predecessor boogie woogie, nor it's predecessor Juba.  That common people who had these traditions became Gods and Goddesses and lost their way in a world of wealth and power which they had no experience in dealing with shouldn't come as a huge shock. 

Dave

• Like 1

It should work for you because you can extrapolate to every other music genre while you are at it.  Does enjoying Charlie Parker mean you supported his use of heroin on and off?  Not to mention that total degenerate Mozart. 

The specific doesn't become the general case. Jazz and older court music was not about degenerate use of drugs and sex - rock and roll IS.

The specific doesn't become the general case. Jazz and older court music was not about degenerate use of drugs and sex - rock and roll IS.

Jazz? You're kidding, right?

I guess EVERYONE is now a moderator? 

Dude, I'm not moderating. I DISAGREE with you. Simple stuff.

• Like 2