CROWN XLS-1500 AMPS

Jim

Looking for opinions on this amp. There is a person who is selling 4 for $250.00 combined. All work. I don't know anything about them , but I see they are selling for $225.00-$275.00 on Ebay. Worst case I can flip them.

post-59264-0-48900000-1453156090_thumb.j

Edited by Jim

Well there's 4 of them,so I was contemplating using them on my towers  for one and possibly selling the others. I don't know if they

would be an upgrade to my Yamaha RX-A2020 or not.

Edited by Jim

2400 wpc (watts) @ 8 ohms for $250 = about $0.10 per watt.

Seems cheap enough to try them, and if you decide to keep them, great.

If not, sending them off to a new owner should net you a nice gain.

Edited by Arrow#422

2400 wpc @ 8 ohms for $250 = about $0.10 per watt. If you have a use, great. If not, sending them off to a new owner should net you a nice gain.
lol what!?!?! 

300 watts into 8 ohm stereo. not sure where you got your numbers from. thats straight off the crown page. 

• Like 1

I don't know if they would be an upgrade to my Yamaha RX-A2020 or not.

I've heard they are in fact a significant upgrade from a Marantz amp, especially on dynamics, but not the noise floor. High sensitivity horn tweets may hiss a little more. I have been using the 2502 as a sub amp and they even hiss through the subs. Keep the gain down as much as possible and they'd probably be nice.

2400 wpc @ 8 ohms for $250 = about $0.10 per watt. If you have a use, great. If not, sending them off to a new owner should net you a nice gain.

lol what!?!?! 

300 watts into 8 ohm stereo. not sure where you got your numbers from. thats straight off the crown page.

What's 300 watts times two channels, times four amps? Should have used 2400 watts RMS, not WPC though.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

lol what!?!?! 

There are 4 of them !

300 per side = 600 per amp X 4 amps = 2400 watts total.   :P

Edited by Arrow#422

HI,

Here is a long thread re: the Crown amps. They can be wonderful. Probably a little cool and neutral in character.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130191.0

At that price, you should have no problem reselling them. Used with a tube preamp or tube buffer, will be fantastic.

I bought one for a friend and he absolutely loves it.

Probably a little cool and neutral in character.

Everybody I've heard using them say that there is zero coloration from the amp, that it doesn't have its own sonic signature like lots of audiophile amps, it just amplifies what its fed.

Yes, totally agree.

Probably a little cool and neutral in character.

Everybody I've heard using them say that there is zero coloration from the amp, that it doesn't have its own sonic signature like lots of audiophile amps, it just amplifies what its fed.

well I guess I will take them then.

As stated, I see them on Ebay selling for between $225-275, so they will be going up for sale. I will most likely keep one, the other 3 will go up for sale.If anyone is interested PM me. I guess I will blow them out at $200.00 plus shipping. I will test them of course before hand.

As stated, I see them on Ebay selling for between $225-275, so they will be going up for sale. I will most likely keep one, the other 3 will go up for sale.If anyone is interested PM me. I guess I will blow them out at $200.00 plus shipping. I will test them of course before hand.

What I'd be afraid of is that I saw a magazine ad just last night where they are openly being advertised, brand new with warranty, for $250, shipped, and you might could get them cheaper. If people are paying $200 plus shipping for used ones that likely have no warranty, they just don't know where to look.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

What I'd be afraid of is that I saw a magazine ad just last night where they are openly being advertised, brand new with warranty, for $250, shipped, and you might could get them cheaper. If people are paying $200 plus shipping for used ones that likely have no warranty, they just don't know where to look.

I tend to agree with MLO.

Last year I bought a brand new one from an authorized feaBay seller for $270 shipped, with full warranty.

I am not sure how recently, but the XLS series has been "updated" to the V2 (eg: XLS 1502).

For critical listening, I doubt I would want to drive my speakers in full range with one of these but my XLS1500 does a nice job as a sub amp for my F-20.

I would like to buy another one (not at 200 bucks) to drive my pair of Exodus Anarchy 6.5" 25hz tapped horns subs.

hard to tell us all you are buying them for 200 something for 4 and then want to sell us (who you just told) for 200 each. best to advertise somewhere where you didn't share the price you paid if you want that much for them. 

1st off I didn't put them up for sale yet, 2ndly, if someone doesn't want to buy them, they don't need to. And as I stated above, I said

.If anyone is interested PM me. I guess I will blow them out at $200.00 plus shipping. I will test them of course before hand.
That is a statement,and not an advertisement for sale,especially since I don't have them yet.

I asked the question to see about the amp 1st,and potential sales 2nd. As most on here don't buy at "retail prices" I'd most likely wind up selling on Ebay anyways. Whether I sell them at $10.00 or $250.00 is irrelevant to what I paid for them.

Now having some of the feedback that has been given, and understanding they sell for new just above what I was contemplating, I don't know where I'd price them out yet, but again it doesn't matter what I paid for them does it? Even used if I were $50.00 less than new,and they worked does that make someone greedy for "flipping something"? For the same matter, someone just purchased a KV 4 and is flipping it,not one person said "you paid this much for it, you shouldn't sell it for more than this". They also didn't say what they paid for it, but again it's irrelevant. If market value is what it is, who cares? If the market value isn't $200.00 per amp, then it isn't $200.00 per amp and my price will be adjusted for that.

As for selling them on another site,that's most likely what I'd be doing anyway, my post was to find out sound quality as I may keep one for myself,and then the potential to pass them on to someone if they wanted something like this. No sales post has gone up, and most likely won't be going up. I am basically offering these up if someone were to be interested prior to being listed elsewhere.If there's no interest,there's no interest. But I also am not looking to get top dollar on them through this site. If market dictates they are $150.00,then that's where they'll go out at.

Does the seller accept returns? I guess if they don't and they list the amps as working and they are not working you can still  put in for a claim through ebay.

If it were me and I only wanted one of them I would buy all four for $250, keep one and sell the other three for $100ea. You end up getting one for free which isn't bad and you get to pass on a good deal to others. 

I don't know enough about these models to comment on quality but as others stated I am sure they are clinical sounding which is good and/or bad depending on your goals. Personally I wouldn't use them for music playback. I would use them with a HT processor to power individual channels FL, FR, RL, and RR along with a powered sub. 

I would use them with a HT processor to power individual channels FL, FR, RL, and RR along with a powered sub.

This is what my plan is for one of them, maybe 2 if I do the horn loaded sub.As for pricing, if the market dictated they are worth $100.00, I'd sell them at that price, and I would also guarantee them. If the market dictates more, then I'd do more. If I saved someone hypothetically $50.00 on an amp that's worth $250.00, that's 20%. If I sold for less than $200.00 as I stated above, it would be more. But at the same time, if I can make more that doesn't make me greedy. Even between $150.00-$200.00 is much more of a discount than most are going to find. If I go by Ebay numbers, they are selling at $225-$250.00 used, and up to $275.00 new. To alleviate the headaches of how this forum turns things into heated discussions on everything,I' m inclined to just go through Ebay or Craigslist. Anyone on here who has dealt with me on sales knows I'm extremely easy to deal with, but when things start turning,I'd rather not have the headache.

I appreciate the feedback on the comments on whether the amp is decent or not, but think I will go the route of selling somewhere else.

1st off I didn't put them up for sale yet,
correct

2ndly, if someone doesn't want to buy them, they don't need to.
correct again

but again it doesn't matter what I paid for them does it?
nope.
Even used if I were $50.00 less than new,and they worked does that make someone greedy for "flipping something"?
nope but seems a bit close to new price with no warranty. soooooo.....

If market value is what it is, who cares?
no one.

with all that being said, calm down. i was only giving you some courteous advice. you can sell them for whatever you want. doesnt matter to me one bit. like i said advice. i sell alot of used gear with GREAT success.