Match RB25 with RC25 or R25C?

Babylon7

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here at the Klipsch forum and have a fairly dumb question for everyone.

I currently have a pair of RB25 (good enough for me for a relatively small condo living room) and am looking to add a center speaker to it.

My first instinct is to match it with the RC25 but this seems very difficult to find, and from what I've seen in this forum it is usually reserved for the RF25.

There is the newer R25C but I'm trying to keep everything in the same lineage.

There are obviously other models that I can consider (e.g., RC52 I & II) but I don't believe they match as well.

Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions as to what I should purchase?

I have an older Sony receiver but it has been a solid performer (110W/channel at 8 ohm; 20-20,000 Hz) and I'll never go full power (of even half for that matter)

Thanks in advance.

Guys - thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the RC-35!

Good show!

I will add you may also prefer the RC-35 due to it's matching woofer size to the RB-25's.

6.5" woofers across your front sound stage will likely pan from left to right better than 6.5 -> 5.25 -> 6.5". If you look at surrounds, I'd encourage you to search for the RS-35's or RS-3's. (The 35's would be in the same lineage though, albeit harder to track down...the RS line from this generation is a little harder to find.)

Ok guys - so I just spoke with Klipsch rep about this.

Basically he said I can go with any center as long as the tweeter is the same material (titanium) and the woofer is same material (cerametallic) and no more than 1 size up/down. Cross-over frequency doesn't matter too much.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Not sure I agree with that.

Panning from side to side tends to work better the closer the driver size is to the left and right channel. My understanding of Xover's is that the lower point is always better - regardless of what kind of speaker you're dealing with.

Ok guys - so I just spoke with Klipsch rep about this.

Basically he said I can go with any center as long as the tweeter is the same material (titanium) and the woofer is same material (cerametallic) and no more than 1 size up/down. Cross-over frequency doesn't matter too much.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

<insert head banging on desk here>

Where do these reps come up with this stuff? Are they just making things up as they go?

Youth and Ibiza gave you great advice...ignore the rep and go with what they've suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys:

So.... I was able to pick up a RC-25.

Now, I understand many of you suggested the RC-35 over the RC-25 and I greatly appreciated the help, but the RC-25 was local so... here we are.

Anyways, when I hooked the RC-25 to my receiver the it sounds muffled, so I thought this may be due to the receiver no being set up properly.

So, I hooked the RC-25 up as a front L/R channel speaker (receiver settings for both L and R are the same) - it was louder than before but the tweeter still sounds not as clear/bright/loud (i.e., muffled) as the RB-25 on the other side.

I don't believe it is a tweeter problem because if that's the case, it probably just wouldn't work.

Any explanation as to why the RC-25 may not sound as clear/bright/loud as the RB-25 other than the dimensional differences?

Both have the same tweeter material/design and horn sizes and similar cross-over frequencies.

Aside from the 2-way vs. tapered array design and physical dimensions, the only difference would be the woofer size.

Thanks.

Where is the RC-25 located? Is it in a stand of some sort or pushed up tight to the wall, on the floor or close to?

I have a RC-35 and I was never 100% happy with it, always seemed muffled to me as well. About 3 weeks ago I started to redo my theater, so my fronts are now free air if you will no cabinet etc. I have the RC-35 placed on a stand 15" off the ground well away from the back wall and wide open it now sounds 300% better than it ever did. IMO these center channels need to be out in the open to sound correct. Just my opinion of course YMMV.

• Moderators

Unfortunately, the RC-25 is near the entry level of the Reference Series.  It can only do so much.  When Wakejunkie had an RC-3 between RF-7ii's, it sounded muffled to me too.  When he upgraded to the RC-7, it was a big improvement in detail and clarity.