Klipsch Heritage replacement speaker cloth--CANE

KHORNlegacy

I've researched all the old posts that are out there on where to obtain something close to the original cane grill cloth material.

Wendell Fabrics MD 4134 has been discontinued.

I received a sample of the cane cloth that Duracrest is now making [this is what was featured at the 2016 CES]. The black fabric weave in the new material is prominent, and overshadows the cane fabric, in my opinion.

Any other places I should be looking to replace the original cane fabric?

Thanks!

To the OP, you are aware (I hope) that real cane as one would find on a chair seat or back makes wonderful looking speaker grill but it will sound like crap warmed up. I don't even use the stock factory synthetic grill material on my two sets of Heresy3 because it obstructs the sound too much. Your call though I know that for a lot of people they fall in love with the looks and are willing to live with the sound and I appreciate that entirely it's just not for me since I put too much effort into obtaining the beast sound quality that I can. Best regards moray james.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Moray, thanks for all the links.

I do agree with the naked speaker preference (esp since I've significantly modified all my Klipsch speakers. When I had my Heresy 1 speakers refurbed a few years back, I had the front board painted black, Velcro removed, and haven't had the grill covers on since. These speakers are at my office so no concerns about errant Matchbox cars or baseballs hitting the woofers. I also have decorator LS (1977) so no plans on putting grill covers on those.

My plan was to locate material for the Heresy grills and do some A-B testing so that I could find something that I like when I refurb my Klipschorns (1977, Heritage #7 black grill covers). 

I guess I'm searching for what Muel mentions above...great looks and no attenuation.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd prefer cane "looking" but also acoustically transparent.  Any such animal out there?

Nope does not exist but if you work on your ability to compromise and ignore the obvious I am sure that you can fine a place where you will be happy. I totally agree the picture of the Klipsch cane is simply killer to look at.

reality is for me however that even the current Heresy grill material causes too much interference so I leave it off of the horns and only cover the woofer. I even go so far as to ad a layer of 1/8" F-11 acoustical felt over the woofer to eat up the top end response of the woofer so I don't have any problem with the grill cloth over the woofer just over the horns is a no go for me.

Edited by moray james

That grill cloth looks very good, but I sure wish we could find a source for the Klipsch Cane.

This is probably the closest:

http://wendellfabrics.com/mellotonefabricsamples.html

It's the 4134 sample and others here have used it.  From what I gather it's a two yard order.

Its no longer available, i was looking for some myself.

Yup. No joy. Wonder why they carry it on heir list of samples.

Here's the response:

"Marty:

This fabric has been discontinued and will not be run.  Do not know anyone that has the fabric.

Thanks

Bill"

• Sad 1