Receivers: Marantz vs Yamaha

G-Rod

So now I'd like to have some guidance to a good receiver.  I was originally interested in the Yamaha RX-A1050.  While checking out the Klipsch RF-260 and RF-280 systems, I mentioned this to the salesman and he then recommended the Marantz SR5010.  Whats everyone's opinions on these two companies/receivers in terms of mostly quality and power.  Both have good reviews.  I've read that Yamaha's add clarity and crispness......(going with Klipsch, so I'd have that already), while the Marantz is powerhouse and provides amazing sound quality to soundtracks.

I'll also go with the matching blue-ray player too.

What do you guys use, recommend, and recommend between these two?

Using a somewhat dated Marantz SR7500 and have used it with 5.5 Klipsch, and now RF-3 with amazing results. Have an older Yamaha AVR hooked to Chorus with amazing results. Connectivity to you sources whichever you should choose of course plays into it.

I find both mellow,warm,and accurate. Powerful enough for 2 channel, etc.

Sort of hard for me to choose. With 105 watts per channel Marantz, and 80 watts per channel Yamaha, thinking either would drive your speakers with clarity, and quality. Just my abstract opinion.

For HT, I find the Marantz to edge out the Yamaha. Really good theatre sound with the Marantz.

I was originally interested in the Yamaha RX-A1050.  While checking out the Klipsch RF-260 and RF-280 systems, I mentioned this to the salesman and he then recommended the Marantz SR5010.

And what line was the salesman selling?  Let's see, maybe Marantz?

I would honestly doubt that you are going to find a solid consensus here between the two.  When I was into HT, I was always very happy with my Yamaha gear, especially the Aventage line.  Both have great feature sets, it just depends on what you want to spend, and what you need. 

• Like 1

I was originally interested in the Yamaha RX-A1050.  While checking out the Klipsch RF-260 and RF-280 systems, I mentioned this to the salesman and he then recommended the Marantz SR5010.

And what line was the salesman selling?  Let's see, maybe Marantz?

I would honestly doubt that you are going to find a solid consensus here between the two.  When I was into HT, I was always very happy with my Yamaha gear, especially the Aventage line.  Both have great feature sets, it just depends on what you want to spend, and what you need. 

He sold both Yamaha and Marantz.  Of the two he pushed Marantz.

From a Marantz owner that's driving a 2.0 reference configuration, I'm not all that impressed with them. There are some who prefer it, but I'm not one of them. Of the two options you gave us, I'd go with Yamaha - especially if it's the AVENTAGE line.

What is good or bad with one vs the other varies by model and features.  They both make excellent products.  Many of us on the forum like Pioneer.  This would be my recommendation.  Demo some avr's and the choice is yours.  What pleases one person may not be the best choice for another person.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bough the Yamaha RX-V673 in 2013 and I am plenty satisfied with it. Made a comparison last week with the brand new RX-V681 (

) and I do not have a strong reason to change mine. Sound great and power more than enough for my actual needs. Even without HDCP 2.2, I have a desire to get the Marantz 7009 for US$1,000.00 and compare them (even being from a different class). Marantz design amazes me and my experience with my Yamaha is far positive.

I have never had Marantz, but I have had Denon (both are owned by the same Company, and are virtually identical from what I have heard), and Yamaha equipment over the years. I currently have the Yamaha CXA-5100 preamp, and i can tell you one thing. The tablet software for controlling it is years ahead of Denon IMO. Another thing is the Yamaha allows you to adjust your surround environment from the tablet. Some people prefer Audyssey to YPAO, but i can't comment on that as i use Dirac for my room tuning.

So it is a toss up as to which is better. I would look at the features that you want as sound is going to be very similar with the Marantz/Denon being a little softer sounding (without Audyssey). When you use Audyssey try to get the highest end version as it will sound the best. When you run Audyssey, or YPAO I don't think you would be disappointed with either one once it is tuned.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1